Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix park

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

beauf wrote: »
    If you are already on the 37 there is zero point getting off it.

They can drive to the park but have no where to park when they get there...

No idea what you're on about.

Again, you could run the 37 through the park and offer a decent service to the zoo, as was the original point of this discussion. Closing to through traffic would speed up the service for people in Castleknock. People driving through the park at present can go down the Navan Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm mixing up the idea of a shuttle bus in the park. But doesn't leave it. We were discussing that in another thread.

You mean change the 37 route so it goes through the park perhaps up the North road past the zoo and on onto the city center. Banning cars in the park at peak so they don't hold up the bus. Worth trying.

I don't think the opw would go for it. But it's not a bad idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

If the changes are to stay long term then appropriate parking restriction measures should be introduced all along Blackhorse Avenue and elsewhere for non-residents. The road is packed with cars parked on footpaths from people clearly driving to the area for a walk in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭StoptheClocks

There is a petition to close Phoenix park to traffic for the rest of the summer if anyone is interested. I can see it working with the lockdown reducing traffic but not when all the measures are lifted.

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/no-more-traffic-through-phoenix-park

People positing on social media photos of being in the park who live no where near it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

I'm mixing up the idea of a shuttle bus in the park. But doesn't leave it. We were discussing that in another thread.

You mean change the 37 route so it goes through the park perhaps up the North road past the zoo and on onto the city center. Banning cars in the park at peak so they don't hold up the bus. Worth trying.

I don't think the opw would go for it. But it's not a bad idea.

It was suggested years ago to create a dedicated bus lane for the 37 through the Park. It was pushed by PD politician Tom Morrisey. It never went ahead.

There would need to be serious infrastructural work to accommodate a bus service. Removal of ramps, changing junctions, traffic directions, cycle lanes, changing entrances, removal of gates (currently our for repair), cutting back trees and road surface upgrades. Then there is also the issue of a wild herd of deer. I think opening up the Park to a bus service would be a disaster for the Park.

In terms of traffic bans, I think the closing of Chesterfield avenue as it is in summer months at weekends is fine but there would be huge opposition both publicly and political against a total ban. There is a massive population West of the Park that rely on it as the only other option, bar Chapelizod Village and the Navan Road. The N3 and Navan Road would be choked and the M50 would probably come to a standstill. It does already when the N3 has heavy build up at J6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

It was suggested years ago to create a dedicated bus lane for the 37 through the Park. It was pushed by PD politician Tom Morrisey. It never went ahead.

There would need to be serious infrastructural work to accommodate a bus service. Removal of ramps, changing junctions, traffic directions, cycle lanes, changing entrances, removal of gates (currently our for repair), cutting back trees and road surface upgrades. Then there is also the issue of a wild herd of deer. I think opening up the Park to a bus service would be a disaster for the Park.

In terms of traffic bans, I think the closing of Chesterfield avenue as it is in summer months at weekends is fine but there would be huge opposition both publicly and political against a total ban. There is a massive population West of the Park that rely on it as the only other option, bar Chapelizod Village and the Navan Road. The N3 and Navan Road would be choked and the M50 would probably come to a standstill. It does already when the N3 has heavy build up at J6.

Still amazed that people think a bus service running every 10minutes or so will "be a disaster for the park" but using Chesterfield Avenue as a major trunk route for commutes by car is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So they've no other options apart from all those other options. That makes no sense.

And how could a bus route be a complete disaster, yet thousands of cars using it as a trunk route is grand?

donvito99 wrote: »
    Still amazed that people think a bus service running every 10minutes or so will "be a disaster for the park" but using Chesterfield Avenue as a major trunk route for commutes by car is grand.

Maybe an electric float of sorts

namloc1980 wrote: »
    So they've no other options apart from all those other options. That makes no sense.
    ...?

Well that's the reality. It's basically squeezing all the traffic from D15 which is a massive area and Meath down to one main road and two smaller and very unsuitable ones.

Hence why the park route is so significant. That it's a terrible use of the park is not in question.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There would need to be serious infrastructural work to accommodate a bus service. Removal of ramps, changing junctions, traffic directions, cycle lanes, changing entrances, removal of gates (currently our for repair), cutting back trees and road surface upgrades.
    all that to use chesterfield avenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

all that to use chesterfield avenue?

A certain amount yes but it was in response to using the North Road for the 37.

Anyway the 37 is just one bus route that services a fraction of a huge population. Any route through the park would need to be a new route or several bus routes.

Should a new route go through the Park you’re not suddenly going to find all commuters that drive through the Park switch to the bus.

The Park is well serviced by buses already. There are bus stops at or close to every gate bar White’s Gate and Knockmaroon gate. Granted a slight walk to the gate on Blackhorse Ave.

A shuttle bus service circulating the Park might be an option but it failed a few years back so difficult to see how it might work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Most people going to the park drive to it.
    Those people can still drive to it through ban or complete.
    A lot on their way to and from somewhere. Like on the way home from work.
    Those people can still drive to it on their way to or from somewhere through ban or complete.
    They closed it before and it was noticeable quieter.
    Based on what surveys?

Those people can still drive to it through ban or complete.

Those people can still drive to it on their way to or from somewhere through ban or complete.

Based on what surveys?

What's the point of driving to it, if you can't park at it. That makes no sense.

Survey of my eyes going through it twice a day. You literally met almost no one. Half the time the roadworks were not working and they only worked on one small section at a time. So workmen either.

There was far fewer cyclists and runners in society in general back then.

What's the point of driving to it, if you can't park at it. That makes no sense.

Survey of my eyes going through it twice a day. You literally met almost no one. Half the time the roadworks were not working and they only worked on one small section at a time. So workmen either.

There was far fewer cyclists and runners in society in general back then.

You can still park in the park or around it.

I'll never understand this attitude 'ok family everyone in the car we are going for a nice walk. Owe wait what's this we'll have to walk 5 minutes extra to get to the walk!? Walk cancelled!'

Survey of your eyes aka no evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Sure the 46a terminates beside the entrance on infirmary Road, which is the guts of a 5 minute walk to the door of the zoo. Now, it could be said that the terminus could be changed to the coach park area if you wanted a bus to the door of the place, however I doubt a bus could easily fit through that gate without adjustments.

You can still park in the park or around it.

We are talking about stopping that.
    I'll never understand this attitude 'ok family everyone in the car we are going for a nice walk. Owe wait what's this we'll have to walk 5 minutes extra to get to the walk!? Walk cancelled!'

Because not everyone is 5 mins walk from it. Often they have mobility impared people with them.

It's kinda why I don't take 3 hours to walk to work. Or to the sea side for a walk. Or anywhere really. Don't have unlimited leisure time. Even now.
    Survey of your eyes aka no evidence

No complaints about other people's observations and no surveys for them. Are they also invalid then. Lol.

p_haugh wrote: »
    Sure the 46a terminates beside the entrance on infirmary Road, which is the guts of a 5 minute walk to the door of the zoo. Now, it could be said that the terminus could be changed to the coach park area if you wanted a bus to the door of the place, however I doubt a bus could easily fit through that gate without adjustments.

People getting the 46a are unlikely to be driving through the length of the park to get the zoo. They are already at the end of the park where the zoo is. No?

We are talking about stopping that.
    No we aren't. The park will still be in Dublin isn't not being folded into an alternate universe
    Because not everyone is 5 mins walk from it. Often they have mobility impared people with them.
    I didn't say everyone was that close I said drive but maybe park 5 minutes away. Blue badge holders can be accommodated
    It's kinda why I don't take 3 hours to walk to work. Or to the sea side for a walk. Or anywhere really. Don't have unlimited leisure time. Even now.
    Yup because 5 minutes and 180 minutes are basically the same thing
    "beauf wrote: »

No complaints about other people's observations and no surveys for them. Are they also invalid then. Lol.

Yes equally invalid . Anecdotes are really harmful to a reasoned discussion as they'll often be treated with the same weight as actual evidence

No we aren't. The park will still be in Dublin isn't not being folded into an alternate universe

I didn't say everyone was that close I said drive but maybe park 5 minutes away. Blue badge holders can be accommodated

Never mentioned drive and park and it's not what you implied either. You can be mobility impaired and not have badge.

There is no suitable parking outside of the park within 5 mins anyway.
    Yes equally invalid . Anecdotes are really harmful to a reasoned discussion as they'll often be treated with the same weight as actual evidence

It's all invalid as comparing lockdown with normal time isn't valid. It's like comparing a wet cold winters day during working hours with a heat wave at the weekend during some big event.

But we have had half the road closed for years during summer weekends. We have the entire road closed for months before, when they rebuilt it. Those are facts. And I qualified my comment that people weren't as physically active back then add they are now. So less people in the park. There were less cyclists also.

It's very obvious that the people walking on the cycle lanes are getting out of cars parked beside it. Ergo they are using the car to access the park for leisure. This is reinforced the fact its worse in the evenings and at the weekends.

• Advertisement

This is posted on the other thread.
    KevRossi wrote: »
    Six options for a new layout for pedestrians and cyclists, laid out here in an article from early 2019.

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2019/02/27/six-options-on-table-for-making-phoenix-park-safer-for-cyclists-and-pedestrians

At least they are thinking of the options.

You can be mobility impaired and not have badge.

Let me expand on your crocodile tears argument.

What about the old,young and disabled who could get PT? Tough ****. What about the old, young and disabled who could walk but can't because of illegal parking and lack of infrastructure? Tough ****. What about people without access to a car? Tough ****. What about the old, young and disabled who could cycle? Tough ****. What about facilitating the mobility impaired with blue badges, kiss n ride mobility aids? No motordom!

There is no suitable parking outside of the park within 5 mins anyway.

There is on street parking on infirmary road

There is on street parking on infirmary road

Apparently it needs to be 5km long .. since that how long the parking in the park is. Both sides.

Let me expand on your crocodile tears argument.

What about the old,young and disabled who could get PT? Tough ****. What about the old, young and disabled who could walk but can't because of illegal parking and lack of infrastructure? Tough ****. What about people without access to a car? Tough ****. What about the old, young and disabled who could cycle? Tough ****. What about facilitating the mobility impaired with blue badges, kiss n ride mobility aids? No motordom!

In fairness they should ban bicycles then also. Make everyone walk. Instructure problems solved .

In fairness they should ban bicycles then also. Make everyone walk. Instructure problems solved .

Well if we banned cars and there still wasn't enough space for pedestrians or cyclist were causing a danger then yes. Ban cyclist as per DMURS

Apparently it needs to be 5km long .. since that how long the parking in the park is. Both sides.

But you can still use that parking in the park so what is your issue?

Well if we banned cars and there still wasn't enough space for pedestrians or cyclist were causing a danger then yes. Ban cyclist as per DMURS

How about we ban everything except a solitary deer.

Much cheaper.

How about we ban everything except a solitary deer.

Much cheaper.

Do you have an argument or is it just hyperbolic nonsense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Maybe lock all the fcuking gates and throw away the keys ffs.

Advertisement