Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone tempted by the open water?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

I’m eager to follow the guidelines while at the same time desperate to get back in the sea. Looks like June 8th could be the date?

‘People can take part in outdoor sporting and fitness activities, involving team sports training in small groups (but not matches) where social distancing can be maintained and where there is no contact‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

radharc wrote: »
    I’m eager to follow the guidelines while at the same time desperate to get back in the sea. Looks like June 8th could be the date?

At the moment if you live <2km from sea (<5km from tomorrow) you can go sea swimming. The RNLI have advised against it, but this has no legal basis and you won't be stopped/fined (unless you were exercising outside your radius). Up to you to decide if you want to heed that advisory or not; the RNLI yesterday rescued two clowns on a kayak off Dalkey, who got into difficulty in calm waters and who infuriatingly will not be charged for their stupidity. But if you are a strong swimmer who knows the local currents/tides and are confident you won't trouble the rescue services.... its up to your conscience*.

May 18th- Phase 1 of the Reopening schedule allows for beaches to be open, when groups of up to 4 can exercise if they practise social distance, and the RNLI advisory is expected to be removed before this date. You can swim but the 5km radius limit still applies.

June 8th- Phase 2, as above but with radius increased to 20km

July 20th- Phase 4, 20km limit removed. Swimming pools also expected to reopen with social distancing.

August- Swim Ireland will permit OW and gala racing again.

*appreciate this will enrage our lurking "stay-at-homers", but them's the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

May 18th- Phase 1 of the Reopening schedule allows for beaches to be open

I found this part of the plan strange - where in the current national restrictions are beaches closed? I thought there were just local closures, decided by local councils...?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭martin6651

The sea called again. I'm thinking of answering it on Monday been away from it for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    I found this part of the plan strange - where in the current national restrictions are beaches closed? I thought there were just local closures, decided by local councils...?

Is it not just the car parks that are closed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭audiRon

If people are going to be starting back swimming in the sea, lakes or rivers some good advice here.
    Relates to the lifting of UK restrictions but relevant to getting into the open water here too
    https://outdoorswimmer.com/news/swim-england-british-triathlon-and-the-royal-life-saving-society-uk-publish-safety-advice-for-open-water-swimmers-following-the-partial-lifting-of-the-coronavirus-lockdown-restrictions-in-england

About bloody time- OW swimming permitted from next Monday. See this from Water Safety Ireland released today

Its quite sensible- there will be no lifeguards so cop yourself on and don't swim if you are going to bother the emergency services. Know your tides, know your currents, know your ability. Basically how everyone used to swim back in the 80's/90's :D

(Wish to god I was within 5k from the sea though!)

Swimming in the sea since Monday and god its so good to be back. Not as warm as the Corrib though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Is it not just the car parks that are closed?

I swim in Portmarnock, the carpark on the Golf Links Road has been closed, but there's limited parking at the north end of the beach. However most of the roads have double yellow lines, you can chance it but the guards were ticketing car's there yesterday.

The problem with Portmarnock is if you arrive at low tide its quite a long walk to get to water and just as long again before you get any depth to swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

About bloody time- OW swimming permitted from next Monday. See this from Water Safety Ireland released today

Its quite sensible- there will be no lifeguards so cop yourself on and don't swim if you are going to bother the emergency services. Know your tides, know your currents, know your ability. Basically how everyone used to swim back in the 80's/90's :D

(Wish to god I was within 5k from the sea though!)

Praise the Lord for that

I've been in a 56cm deep paddling pool for the past few weeks and my fingertips can't take anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Article in the paper today
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/i-always-feel-better-after-sea-swimming-reopens-for-business-1.4256326

‘I always feel better after’: Sea swimming reopens for business
    Social distancing applies but, after weeks of lockdown, the benefits are even better

“Bit more insulation since the lockdown anyway,” says Jonathan Smith, emerging with a smile from the open sea water at south Dublin Bay without any haste or the slightest shiver of doubt. “But I always feel better after this, always...”

It’s shortly after dawn on Monday and we’re down at Blackrock to meet the high tide and the first lifting of Covid-19 restrictions around open water swimming since April 11th: social distancing still applies, and as much as he’s missed being in the sea water every single day – as is his usually perfectly normal routine – it’s been an entirely understandable wait.

“There were some days at home, over the last few weeks, where I felt caged in,” Smith tells me, drying himself off in a large floral towel robe and gently unruffling his fantastically long beard. With a family member working on the so-called frontline, he’d no issue whatsoever with the restrictions – even if that meant the actual caging off of his usual swimming spots down along the Forty Foot, Sandycove and Seapoint.

Therapy

Just a few minutes in the water is enough to reacquaint the mind and the senses: there is a theory among open sea swimmers that this cold water immersion is therapy more than exercise, and while not everyone may agree, Smith unquestionably practices what he preaches.

“I was joking to my wife about this, it’s like the insurance on the car, you may never need it, but it’s great to have it. I always felt I’d a little resilience in store from the months of swimming before the lockdown, even if no one saw this coming. I think people who swam on a regular basis, maybe, were better able to cope with the whole situation.

“For people who really struggle with anxiety, not being able to get into the sea on a regular basis might have been some sort of entrapment, essentially. And I think the need for it, after times like this, will be even greater, for sure.”

Smith was raised within the sights and the smells of Dublin Bay, yet only took to open water swimming later in his life: now the 58-year-old, who runs the popular Ernesto’s cafe in Rathmines, can’t imagine his life without his daily dip.

Smith has been going swimming in the sea every day for 12 years.
    Smith has been going swimming in the sea every day for 12 years.
    “After my mother passed away, 12 years ago, I was getting bad pains across my chest, and a woman I was working with, Maire Walsh, asked me did I go swimming in the sea. And I said yeah, in June and July, on a balmy day, we’d head to Killiney with a picnic for the day. But she meant every day, winter and summer. And I thought she was mental. I hadn’t slept right in months, and just she encouraged me. So I was out by Seapoint a few days later, saw the high tide, and dived in. I thought I was going to have a cardiac arrest, it was that much of a shock.

“Once I got out, and went home that night and slept for five hours, I saw the benefits immediately. And after I started going every week, then every day, and learned from more experienced people than me, my patience and tolerance were greater, my anxieties became less and less. That’s there for all of us.

“In the winter, to the summer, you do go from enduring it, to enjoying it. But the payback is greater in the winter months, because the colder the water, the higher the endorphin level, the serotonin level, the higher the feel-good factor.”

Social interaction

He opened Ernesto’s five years ago, and like every business it’s taken a big hit: named after his love of all things Cuba (including Ernesto “Che” Guevara), Smith also runs a small charity bringing musical instruments to Cuban children, and much like open water swimming, his cafe has also been about encouraging social interaction.

“We made the decision to close on the 14th of March, I just reckoned it wasn’t safe for the staff, you could just see this thing gaining momentum, and thought it was best to close completely. We’re back up three weeks now, doing partial takeaway. The weather has been very conducive to standing outside, and we’re not a huge amount off, right now, but the whole situation is still evolving out.”

Through Ernesto’s, he’s also shared the open water swimming virtues with the likes of Dublin footballers Kevin McManamon and Michael Darragh Macauley and singer Damien Dempsey.

“So much of open sea water swimming is actually about that social interaction, before and afterwards. In recent years, I’ve noticed more women than men too, and women of all ages. As life throws curve balls at you, you start to seek alternative remedies, to fix some angst, anxiety, or some mental strife in your life, and to me the sea has become a glowing way to do so.”

Perhaps to that list we can now add Covid-19.

513574.jpg

Got my second OW swim in this week. I got 34 minutes before my hands were just too cold, may head back in today :)

Btw, anyone using the Garmin 735xt?

On Open Water swim mode the GPS just shows straight lines from point to point, but I swim diagonal to the shower so my swims are never in a dead straight line. When I used a Polar on run mode it seem to record a very accurate map.

The distance is recording ok but the map looks a little weird, I can post photos if I'm not explaining myself right.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Finally made it into the water today.
    ...And it felt great, though the lockdown has taken the toll on my upper body strength :-)
    So stayed in the shallows and went up and down along the shoreline a few times

I took the wuss option and went in with the full getup: cap, gloves, socks and a wetsuit.
    It was gorgeous, may as well have been swimming in the med :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭degsie

Couple of drownings reported in the UK, no lifeguards appears to be an issue. Be safe out there.

degsie wrote: »
    Couple of drownings reported in the UK, no lifeguards appears to be an issue. Be safe out there.

You wouldn't be advocating unnecessary travel to the UK, would you?:pac:

Swim Ireland this morning reemphasised their OW guidance that those currently using the OW should be experienced swimmers (used to cold water shock, local conditions, what to do in a riptide etc.)

Swam in glorious Kerry waters over the past couple of days- having been denied the opportunity for quite a while it was incredible to swim along the coastline. Good to see other strong swimmers starting to get back in too.

Kurt Welcome back to the sea. Great or what

Got in a slow, but very tough 1k in Portmarnock at high tide yesterday.

I was literally swept down the beach for the first 500 so I knew I'd have a battle back. On the return my swim was like a cross between a rodeo and a washing machine, but great craic.

I'm a competitive Judoka, and at one point I thought to myself 'dammit I'd had easier Judo competitions', great fun altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Got in a slow, but very tough 1k in Portmarnock at high tide yesterday.

I was literally swept down the beach for the first 500 so I knew I'd have a battle back. On the return my swim was like a cross between a rodeo and a washing machine, but great craic.

I'm a competitive Judoka, and at one point I thought to myself 'dammit I'd had easier Judo competitions', great fun altogether.

Always nice to swim out against the tide/wind first if possible. Get the easy bit on the way back:)

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Always nice to swim out against the tide/wind first if possible. Get the easy bit on the way back:)

Depending on which end of the beach I use really determines what direction I'll swim, Martello tower end you're kinda committed to swim down the beach.

More big waves this evening, wasn't going to go out but I bought a new wet suit and had only worn it once, wasn't really happy with it so wanted to give it a second outing and already its stretched to a point I felt like a fecking water balloon so I'm hoping that can be returned for a size smaller.

Wasn't big money but its still frustrating.

Seemed like great conditions for the guys kitesurfing this evening, looks like great craic, I was only hoping they've see me between the waves :)

• Advertisement

When there's an easterly wind blowing portmarnock isnt suitable for swimming.

audiRon wrote: »
    When there's an easterly wind blowing portmarnock isnt suitable for swimming.

Felt NE this evening.

I'm lucky in that I'm living 5 minutes from the beach so its not such a big deal if conditions aren't ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

I swim in low rock around the 3 buoys, the tides seem to be strong here. I see people swimming from low rock to high rock and back , I haven't been brave enough to try it as I've read currents are stronger at high rock. I see people swimming from the beach around to high rock and back (i'd love to try this also). I've swam portmarnock beach but don't like the waves hitting you from the side constantly.
    I might try beach to high rock next are the currents really bad at high rock?

Got back in this week in Blackrock. So good to be back.
    Bay Swim is officially cancelled this year, so nothing particular to train for, but aim to keep getting in 2 or 3 times a week. Hope the buoys get put back in during the summer at some stage. Miss having them as targets.

new2tri19 wrote: »
    I swim in low rock around the 3 buoys, the tides seem to be strong here. I see people swimming from low rock to high rock and back , I haven't been brave enough to try it as I've read currents are stronger at high rock. I see people swimming from the beach around to high rock and back (i'd love to try this also). I've swam portmarnock beach but don't like the waves hitting you from the side constantly.
    I might try beach to high rock next are the currents really bad at high rock?
    The tides are at their slackest 1hr either side of the high/low mark. I was out on Wed morning at about 6:30am, the low tide was at about 9am.
    The tide was pulling towards Malahide and made about a 10-12sec difference per 100m. I see if I can attach a garmin screen shot.
    yR58y19.jpg
    6dYH2Qq.jpg
    We headed from High Rock towards low rock, that's the first 500m, with the tide, then 4x500 against the tide and the last 4x500 with the tide again

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

The tides are at their slackest 1hr either side of the high/low mark. I was out on Wed morning at about 6:30am, the low tide was at about 9am.
    The tide was pulling towards Malahide and made about a 10-12sec difference per 100m. I see if I can attach a garmin screen shot.
    yR58y19.jpg
    6dYH2Qq.jpg
    We headed from High Rock towards low rock, that's the first 500m, with the tide, then 4x500 against the tide and the last 4x500 with the tide again

That's incredible swimmimg, in the pool I'm not bad open water is just a different sport to me . I only learned to swim in pool over a year or so ago but the sea is like starting from scratch.
    To be honest I couldn't even tell if the tide is with me or against me only after I look up and i realise I've moved nowhere or I'm making good ground.
    Biggest problem for me is awareness of where I am constantly stopping yo try sight where I am supposed to be going .
    I'm going to crack it this year.

Is it as simple as if you get there an hour before high tide the tide is coming in so you should find it easier to swim high rock to low rock ?

new2tri19 wrote: »
    That's incredible swimmimg, in the pool I'm not bad open water is just a different sport to me . I only learned to swim in pool over a year or so ago but the sea is like starting from scratch.
    To be honest I couldn't even tell if the tide is with me or against me only after I look up and i realise I've moved nowhere or I'm making good ground.
    Biggest problem for me is awareness of where I am constantly stopping yo try sight where I am supposed to be going .
    I'm going to crack it this year.

Is it as simple as if you get there an hour before high tide the tide is coming in so you should find it easier to swim high rock to low rock ?
    The first thing I'd say to you is safety is the number one thing. Don't swim on your own, don't swim if the conditions aren't suitable and don't push it too far before you are ready.
    An hour before high tide and low tide the water is at its slackest and is coming in so it will be heading towards the tower from high rock. Remember if its with you going up most likely it will be against you coming back.
    Just swim from the.chsnging rooms.on the beach to the first or second lifeguard hut. Make.sure.you wear a.high via hat and tow.float too

Make.sure.you wear a.high via hat and tow.float too

The buoy is great, I use a Zone 3 28 litre float and easily carry my phone, wallet, keys, t-shirt and sometimes sandals in it and can feel absolutely no drag.

New2tri19 you'll get one on amazon for around twenty euro, they're worth every penny IMO.

Audiron, they're fantastics times, I feel pedestrian now lol.

I'm using the 735XT too, my son bought it for me for Christmas as I was going to try a tri this year, then of course the world went belly up :(

The buoy is great, I use a Zone 3 28 litre float and easily carry my phone, wallet, keys, t-shirt and sometimes sandals in it and can feel absolutely no drag.

New2tri19 you'll get one on amazon for around twenty euro, they're worth every penny IMO.

Audiron, they're fantastics times, I feel pedestrian now lol.

I'm using the 735XT too, my son bought it for me for Christmas as I was going to try a tri this year, then of course the world went belly up :(
    Its a great watch. Accurate in the pool and open water.
    3rd swim since Feb, a long way to go before I'm fit again.
    With the wetsuit on should be down between 1.15 and 1.20 per 100 avg over 4k

• Advertisement

Its a great watch. Accurate in the pool and open water.
    3rd swim since Feb, a long way to go before I'm fit again.
    With the wetsuit on should be down between 1.15 and 1.20 per 100 avg over 4k

Yea I'd hate to be THAT unfit lol

I think I'd need to be strapped to a torpedo to get to that speed :o

Advertisement