Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Memories of Kerrang/Scuzz/MTV2 etc

Options
  • 18-01-2020 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭

feeling a bit nostalgic and was wondering what are your best memories of the old skool Rock music channels like Kerrang,Scuzz,MTV2 etc

as a teenager growing up i loved those stations and they were mainstays in my life from 2002-2009. with the advent of Youtube/Spotify etc my interest went and i rarely put on those channels if they even exist anymore. Theres an MTV rocks station now

Still love listening to old Papa Roach (last resort and Between Angels and Insects), Hoobastank (The Reason and Crawling in the dark), Jimmy Eat World (The Middle and Sweetness)among others. Remember they played Tenacious Ds tribute all the time and then **** her gently in the nightime. Mansons Tainted Love and Iron Maidens can i play with Madnes were always on too

I remember watching those programmes that aired like Jackass, the spinoffs of the wildboyz and Viva La Bam, the Osbournes and Pimp my ride. Think it was MTV2 that used to show Behind The Musics and other band documentarys. Remember watching episodes of South Park on them stations too
    memories

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

P-Rock was good, for the short time it was on.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Used to love Gonzo with Zane Lowe, he became a bit insufferable just before he left but he always played great music and was quite funny too

Never got into Scuzz, Kerrang wasn't bad but MTV2 had more variety.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I don't know which channel it was, but I think it was Kerrang! who introduced me to Rammstein.

They had two songs they used to air IIRC... Links 2,3,4 and Ich Will (maybe Mutter also but not sure). I was hooked and appreciate the introduction to a band I might not have listened to otherwise!

Before all that, it was Metal Mothers (and something else before that) on ITV.
    Edit: It was Noisy Mothers, which succeeded Raw Power! Noisy Mothers was axed in 1995 apparently! erk

And a nod to Tommy Vance on VH1, though I seldom saw his show as I didn't have Sky back in the day except when in some friend's house that had. Oh, lest I forget Headbangers Ball from MTV, when it was relevant to music.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ah man, Kerrang TV. I didn't have "the channels" myself, so I used to get a friend to tape the videos. Those were the days.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I remember when that video by My Chemical Romance seemed to be on Kerrang every 10 minutes, Parmore and Fall Out Boy were never far away either, suppose they did balance it out by playing One by Metallica a fair bit, it did introduce me to the likes of Airbourne, Black Stone Cherry and Volbeat, last I checked it seems to be playing indie music and they have moved away from anything vaguely heavy, was always a rare treat when this video came on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Oh man.

Staying up to watch Kerrang's post watershed hour. Coolest thing ever when I was 12/13. Smack My Bitch Up, Manson, the Stinkfist video etc.

Seeing Buried Alive By Love on heavy rotation and convincing myself HIM were the best thing going (the first few albums are still mustard).

Being sick of Chop Suey, even back then.

That glorious summer Scuzz played classic metal on a loop in 2004.

Seeing Kerrang gradually go from my kind of naff garbage to the next generation's kind of naff garbage and having to gracefully bow out. You Me At Six, Paramore etc. Nah thanks. Not like I was much better with Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park etc though.

The United States of Whatever video.

Getting into Gonzo on MTV2 and going 'proper' in 2005. Only miserable bastards wear black every day, The Bravery are music for grown ups etc.

All good times. Kerrang and Scuzz were a huge part of my alternative youth. Like I said in the other thread, we still go to Download because it has that fun element to it. I love my black metal, too, but you can't take this stuff seriously all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Kerrang TV was appalling. Pop Punk crap most of the time. If you went an hour without seeing either a Good Charlotte or Fall Out Boy video you won a prize.

And for some reason they only seemed to have one video from Ash (Burn Baby Burn). Why not play one of their other songs every once in a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

Great post, bringing back nice memories of the teenage years. I remember coming home from school and sticking on MTV2 or kerrang straight away. Loved the songs you mentioned but I also, as a teenage girl, loved searching between the channels for HIM, buried alive by love and swooning over Ville Valo. MTV2 seem to have more of a diverse playlist of music. Thoria- I got Satan has just popped into my head, it used to be played a lot on MTV2.

Why not play one of their other songs every once in a while?
    Probably because most people outside this island couldn't give a rats about any of Ash's other bang average tunes, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭kg703

Remember getting the magazine which sometimes came with a video of the best videos.... Think mine had left behind and... Creed? And that song nothing by... A?

would watch kerrang on repeat and then watch epidoes of jack ass on repeat....

Ah good times

• Advertisement

Friday/Saturday night on MTV after Raw and Smackdown was a run of like...Jackass, Dirty Sanchez, Celebrity Deathmatch and then whatever lurid run of weird shorts they'd play after midnight.

Funny how we were saying at the time MTV was at a nadir. That was its peak!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Headbangers Ball was where it was at. Kerrang, Scuzz, MTV2 etc tried, but weren't even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Party hard by Andrew WK was always on Kerrang. One of Rammsteins videos was always in the Kerrang promo think it was Sonne

Who was the Scuzz guy who dressed up in the leather gear and was always shown on there download footage ??

Heres one for ya

https://youtu.be/r_FUr7Zsi6c

One I remember from my days of these channels. Great band I wonder whatever happened them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Was a fan of MTV2 in the beginning when they did top 10 videos for a particular band and the viewers top 10's were great too.

Never a fan of the others. Too many pop acts like Greenday/Blink 182 etc.

Even worse now with the american pop punk crap on all the time.

Headbangers ball was great but John Kenny on 2fm Sunday nights was the best

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the_syco wrote: »
    Headbangers Ball was where it was at. Kerrang, Scuzz, MTV2 etc tried, but weren't even close.

Headbangers Ball back in the day of Pan European MTV was amazing. 2 to 3 hours of metal every Sunday night, live gig reports, live festivals, interviews with bands and every genre of metal from the most commercial to the heaviest and most extreme. There were great segements like the triple thrash treat and into the pit every week. You would discover a new band every week. There were no limited playlists, you waited with excitement to see what would be played next and were glued to the tv for the entire show.

MTV2/Skuzz/Kerrang were far poorer, limited with set playlists and no surprises and generally stuck to the more commercial end of metal or punk rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Headbangers Ball - Donington 94 special was the peak of music television

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

the_syco wrote: »

Adam Curry does the brilliant podcast No Agenda these day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Headbangers Ball - Donington 94 special was the peak of music television

highlights for me were probably the Dynamo festival coverage every summer. The Donnington festival reports were also very good.

Nowadays the only station that I know of that still regularly shows metal bands of many genres during festivals is a German TV station called WDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mollser

Kerrang TV just seems to have that sum 41 video on everyone I flick it on.

Kerrang radio on the other hand (you can get via tunein) is what rock radio should be. It's a mix of every act mentioned already, slipknot mixed with paramore etc during the day and goes a bit heavier at night. They don't stick with the usual songs by the usual bands either, lots of lesser known songs played across the board.

Tremendous variety on it, has introduced a whole heap of bands to me that have completely passed me by.

"Refining classic rock", hoorah!

https://planetradio.co.uk/kerrang/playlist/

Playlist here, Alice in chains, dinosaur pileup Metallica fantastic!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Raw Power on ITV (HTV Wales down in Cork), I think 1991 or 92. Morbid Angel "Immortal Rites". Thats the exact moment I left Bon Jovi and Skid Row behind me.

The reason I figured out how to program the VCR - the show was on at around 2 or 3AM on a Friday night/Saturday morning. Hosted by Krusher.

Here's a really poor quality video of the intro :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Remember those multi coloured VHS tapes, Loads of music videos taped on them. Its hard to believe how far tech has come compared to those days. Limewire was great too for the mp3s

YouTube and spotify saved us ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I listen to Kerrang radio a couple of hours a day. Great variety and I've found a lot of new music through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Mtv - Ray Cokes + Richard Blackwood + Donna Air …

Watching Pearl Jam Unplugged in a mates house (his was the only one of us that had the "satellite channels) .. Watching "Teen Spirit" …
    Watching PJ doing "Animal" at the MTV awards … .

Sitting beside Kristiane Backer in the stand while MTV were recording …

Kurt Loder , Dannan , Rebecca de Ruvo , Caroly Lilypaly ……

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Oh wow... I'd like to say I haven't thought of these bands or music in awhile but they're still on my Spotify Playlists and will go to any club night that plays it :D

Was only at Sum 41 last night sure hah

I never had the stations back in the day - poor yo - but my friends did and we'd hang out, TV blaring in the background - Wonderful!

As an above poster said, my love of HIM and Ville Valo - even had to go to their farewell tour in the last few years.

There's a Jackass 4 being made - dunno how those boys do it :D
    Still tune into Kerrang radio every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Oh wow... I'd like to say I haven't thought of these bands or music in awhile but they're still on my Spotify Playlists and will go to any club night that plays it :D

Was only at Sum 41 last night sure hah

I never had the stations back in the day - poor yo - but my friends did and we'd hang out, TV blaring in the background - Wonderful!

As an above poster said, my love of HIM and Ville Valo - even had to go to their farewell tour in the last few years.

There's a Jackass 4 being made - dunno how those boys do it :D
    Still tune into Kerrang radio every now and then.

Saw the setlist from last night...Does This Look Infected in full would be class. I remember the first time I saw Still Waiting on Kerrang.

Those channels were class, when I was getting all this music Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Wheatus on a near constant loop.

Having the channels for house parties was also great, remember being shocked at seeing a Kyuss video at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Didn't have Kerrang, but sometimes got to see it at a friend's house. Really liked Scuzz when we got the channel at home - even after moving out, it was a go-to for me any time I was staying there at the weekend. Definitely introduced me to some bands that I would still listen to today.

Used to pick up the Kerrang magazine pretty regularly, especially if it had a mix CD. The good old days and one of the ways that I used to love finding music. Really bothered a friend of mine when he wanted to copy some music from my iPod, excitedly clicked into an artist, and it was only one song :D

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

PTH2009 wrote: »
    feeling a bit nostalgic and was wondering what are your best memories of the old skool Rock music channels like Kerrang,Scuzz,MTV2 etc

as a teenager growing up i loved those stations and they were mainstays in my life from 2002-2009. with the advent of Youtube/Spotify etc my interest went and i rarely put on those channels if they even exist anymore. Theres an MTV rocks station now

Still love listening to old Papa Roach (last resort and Between Angels and Insects), Hoobastank (The Reason and Crawling in the dark), Jimmy Eat World (The Middle and Sweetness)among others. Remember they played Tenacious Ds tribute all the time and then **** her gently in the nightime. Mansons Tainted Love and Iron Maidens can i play with Madnes were always on too

I remember watching those programmes that aired like Jackass, the spinoffs of the wildboyz and Viva La Bam, the Osbournes and Pimp my ride. Think it was MTV2 that used to show Behind The Musics and other band documentarys. Remember watching episodes of South Park on them stations too
    memories

Infest is still a great album, but good God that band went to **** soon after.

Didn't have The Channels but a friend used to tape some stuff for me, so that's how I got my fix in school.

Later used to buy Metal Hammer magazine a lot starting in 2005 to about 2010; that was my main, well only way really, of keeping abreast of events in the metal/rock world, got turned onto a lot of new bands through the CD samplers back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah, all that time, around the year 1999-2000, was when I was first getting into music in a big way and I was the in the exact age group to eat up all of that stuff. Young, filled with energy and stupidly angry at stupid things. GIVE ME SOMETHING TO BREAK.

Limp Bizkit were the big one at the very beginning. I have an awful hard time listening to them these days. But I did love them for a while. I remember hearing Take A Look Around on the radio real late at night and buying the single the next day. Truth be told, I still kinda like the song. The intro is cool, with the band all coming in instrument by instrument, but then Fred Durst arrives at about forty seconds and utterly ruins it with his presence. The breakdown at 3:30 in the song is still pretty epic. Limp Bizkit have qualities musically, but Durst is the worst frontman in the history of music and makes them unlistenable to my ears these days

I bought Kerrang pretty much every week and then Metal Hammer once a month. I'd read them from cover to cover. It's so quaint now when you think about it, I used to read about bands for ages before I'd hear them. 90% of the time, unless you heard them thanks to a free CD, the only way to hear them was by buying an album or swapping an album with someone else.

I've a lot to thank Kerrang and Metal Hammer for. I read about countless bands and they made me curious to know more, but, when you look back, Jesus, they fairly chased the trends at the time. Even though it was aimed at a bit of a younger audience Kerrang was arguably better at showing a bit more diversity in rock and metal overall. It was usually some nu-metal or pop-punk flavour of the month shyte on the front page, but I remember them giving a cover story to Emperor when they had their last album out. At the time I'd only heard about one black metal song and I couldn't understand how anyone could listen to it. If I was to go back now and hunt down that old copy of Kerrang, I'm sure out of all the other bands written about in the that issue I'd respect Emperor the most.

Metal Hammer though hyped up some awful bands - and it was supposed to be the more "metal" of the two. I read it regularly for about two years and death and black or any vaguely underground forms of metal were badly sidelined in that time in favour of endless coverage of crap, crap bands or former bands who were now chasing the trend. The amount of rubbish bands that got mileage out of that period is amazing. I have some seriously dodge musical purchases from that period: Adema, Slaves on Dope, Boy Hits Car, Pitchshifter, One Minute Silence, Mudvayne... the list goes on. I guess there was money to be made. A bit like how there's an endless stream of mumblin' crap trap and emo rappers out there now.

From that era the only ones I still have fondness for are Deftones, System and Tool. I used to hate Slipknot in particular at the time, with their masks and 25 members, but I have a soft spot for them these days. Some of the stuff off Iowa is properly brootal, they did well to sneak that stuff into the mainstream. What a time to be alive it was when this was the type of craic that'd end up on chat shows in the states:

And yeah Kerrang TV. I remember bands getting big on the strength of one good video and Rammstein going from German weirdos to being massive. I didn't watch it after about 2003 and when I checked back in a few years later, all that ironed hair made me immediately realise that time had moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

The early 2000s were probably one of the worst times for heavy music in my opinion. Bands like Staind, Static-X, Fear Factory, Korn, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Godsmack, Mudvayne..... still don't have much time for it. There are a few bright spots here and there. System of a Down bucked the trend and kept their musicality at a time when downtuned, over-processed slop was being passed off as music. As the poster above said, Limp Bizkit had some neat ideas, but which were unfortunately negated by Durst's fly in the ointment singing. Nu Metal was to the late 90s and early 2000s what Glam Metal was to the late 80s. A scourge.

And unfortunately, this is much of what Kerrang/Scuzz/P-Rock were showing. But there was some good stuff when you got away from that, like Tenacious D and Rage Against the Machine. Scuzz also gave us this gem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Worked late nights in a bar so MTV2 was my church when I got home. Was always my go to channel. Scuzz was good on Friday and Saturday nights. Kerrang became the ultimate My Chemical Romance, Fallout Boy, Blink 182 pile of ****e so got sick of that very quickly. Always amazed me how record companies forgot the importance of a good music video,in the chase of a new stream online. A good video is still worth the effort. Maybe I'm just getting old but I appreciate any band/artist willing to put their time into a promo video now, cos it's coming from them. No record company is throwing money at them to do it.

Advertisement