Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Italian-style chipper in Cork?

• 13-09-2019 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Burning question about Cork!!!

Where's there a chipper that does good chips like the Italian chippers in Dublin?

I tried a few places but its been straight out of the freezer bag and into the fryer, just not the same at all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Not sure it covers the 'Italian' part of the ask but Lennox's on Bandon road is king of the chips world for many.

Also, and I cant speak to its quality a shavent been in, but there is a Mizzoni's on Coburg street which I think is a branch of the Dublin chain
    https://goo.gl/maps/q2M7RKhHy4wgzb6NA

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Mizonis use steakhouse chips.

The golden fry, lennox’s, dinos, KCs

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Also The Fishwife on Mc Curtain street and Grand Parade

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

The op is looking for a proper Italian chipper but really there few and fair between in ireland.

Must have went back home and retired or sold out there fish chips.

I can nearly count on a single hand how many are still run by Italians in the south of ireland.

A example would be pizza italia on the grand perade used to be Italian owened and run but now its fish wife however he rents it out to fish wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A example would be pizza italia on the grand perade used to be Italian owened and run but now its fish wife however he rents it out to fish wife.

But that was never an Italian chipper, it was a pizzaria.
    Cork never had the Italian chippers like in Dublin.

New O Reily's on Barrack Street where Bao Boi was is supposed to be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Interesting fact: there is no such thing as an actual "Italian Chipper". A bit like "spaghetti alla bolognese", it's something that doesn't exist in Italy at all; Most Italians, actually, won't even know that "Fish 'n Chips" is a thing - actually most scoff at is as something "weird", until they taste is that is :D

There are, mostly in the south and especially in Naples, places called "friggitorie" (roughly translated, "a place where we fry things"), and their offering is going to be along these lines:

Friggitoria-Vomero.jpg

Those are all variations of fried bread dough, potatoes, aubergines, pasta or rice.

You'll find none of that in Ireland, or better, not anymore - there was a guy in Blackrock, here specifically:

https://goo.gl/maps/mseMxhBnYqSCZT7eA

...who actually did this stuff. He'd fry your arancino (ball of rice with mozzarella, peas and tomato in a batter) or zeppole (basically, fried bread dough) right in front of you, and these were VERY tasty...however the place looks like it's boarded up now :(

If it's just chips you're looking for, they'd hold Cork up if there was an earthquake; Have a walk on McCurtain Street and check which one you prefer, or head off to Lennox on Barrack Street, always a safe bet!

Actually, come think of it...the rule for Cork is pretty much that the worse the place looks from the outside, in a less-than-nice area with plenty of "hoodies" queuing outside, the better the food is :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Not in cork city but Sorrento in Cobh is very good ....or la trattoria in Midleton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭RINO87

Yeah I grew up in the midlands where all of the chippers were Italian, the whole way up to dublin.... go west or south tho and they didnt really exist!

The ones in the Midlands and dublin all seem to have amalgamated and homogenized under the "Romayo's" brand. You do still find the odd "real" chipper about the place too though - Angelo's in Banagher Co. Offaly is a fine example.

Closest to these that I've found in Cork is Murphys in Blackpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

That is great!
    Thanks folks!

I'll check them out, starting with one of them tonight. Nothing like a good bag of chips and a few frosty ones on a Friday evening :)

Its true - the Italians who originally ran the chippers in Dublin all came from the same village outside of Rome.
    They charter a plane to fly back every Christmas - an Italian pal got a lift on it one year!

Is KCs worth the queue do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭RINO87

Esho wrote: »
    That is great!
    Thanks folks!

I'll check them out, starting with one of them tonight. Nothing like a good bag of chips and a few frosty ones on a Friday evening :)

Its true - the Italians who originally ran the chippers in Dublin all came from the same village outside of Rome.
    They charter a plane to fly back every Christmas - an Italian pal got a lift on it one year!

For Burgers/Pittas, yes. Chips no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

RINO87 wrote: »
    For Burgers/Pittas, yes. Chips no.

Whatever youre getting throw an old bombay in on the side, you wont regret it

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Interesting fact: there is no such thing as an actual "Italian Chipper". A bit like "spaghetti alla bolognese", it's something that doesn't exist in Italy at all; Most Italians, actually, won't even know that "Fish 'n Chips" is a thing - actually most scoff at is as something "weird", until they taste is that is :D

D

Are you seriously trying tell us that Italians are not queuing up every Friday night for Fish suppers with mushy peas, batter burgers, potato pies and spice burgers??
    That's crazy talk and no one believes you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Are you seriously trying tell us that Italians are not queuing up every Friday night for Fish suppers with mushy peas, batter burgers, potato pies and spice burgers??
    That's crazy talk and no one believes you;)

I know, right? :D

You'd be surprised however, I had instances of colleagues and friends going to Italy and coming back wondering about where the "chippers" were...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Esho wrote: »
    That is great!
    Thanks folks!

Plus one in this they are all from the same area just south of Rome I would not say the same village but in the same say 25km Square area.

I look at my own father when he moved to Ireland in the 70s to work in his brothers fish and chips. He started washing dishes then moving on from that and in less then 10 years he owed his own fish and chips in Dublin ha.

It's the same in Scotland where must of the chippers where Italians all from the same area.

Like when I head back home. My town has about 5 fish and chips in it but only one proper Italian one and you can tell the difference hands down.

But in Cork Murphys is a very good chipper, fish wife is also good but none match the the Italian chipper back home.

Yah back in Italy there is no fish and chips ha. Where my dad's from its pizza slice shops and I can tell you hands down they are about 500 times better then the crap fast als sell.

You guys get to have the Fish Wife, having fúck-all Italian chippers is your penance for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

http://www.itica.ie/ for the full list of Irish Traditional Italian chippers. Only 2 in Cork, 1 in Cobh, 1 in Youghal.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

H3llR4iser wrote: »

There are, mostly in the south and especially in Naples, places called "friggitorie" (roughly translated, "a place where we fry things"), and their offering is going to be along these lines:

Friggitoria-Vomero.jpg

Those are all variations of fried bread dough, potatoes, aubergines, pasta or rice.

You'll find none of that in Ireland, or better, not anymore - there was a guy in Blackrock, here specifically:

https://goo.gl/maps/mseMxhBnYqSCZT7eA

...who actually did this stuff. He'd fry your arancino (ball of rice with mozzarella, peas and tomato in a batter) or zeppole (basically, fried bread dough) right in front of you, and these were VERY tasty...however the place looks like it's boarded up now :(

If it's just chips you're looking for, they'd hold Cork up if there was an earthquake; Have a walk on McCurtain Street and check which one you prefer, or head off to Lennox on Barrack Street, always a safe bet!

Actually, come think of it...the rule for Cork is pretty much that the worse the place looks from the outside, in a less-than-nice area with plenty of "hoodies" queuing outside, the better the food is :D:D:D

Nice one! Great to get a bit of local knowledge!

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Plus one in this they are all from the same area just south of Rome I would not say the same village but in the same say 25km Square area.

I look at my own father when he moved to Ireland in the 70s to work in his brothers fish and chips. He started washing dishes then moving on from that and in less then 10 years he owed his own fish and chips in Dublin ha.

It's the same in Scotland where must of the chippers where Italians all from the same area.

Like when I head back home. My town has about 5 fish and chips in it but only one proper Italian one and you can tell the difference hands down.

But in Cork Murphys is a very good chipper, fish wife is also good but none match the the Italian chipper back home.

Yah back in Italy there is no fish and chips ha. Where my dad's from its pizza slice shops and I can tell you hands down they are about 500 times better then the crap fast als sell.

Yes this is an article about it

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/travel/welcome-to-barga-the-most-scottish-town-in-italy-1-4238742

What is the difference?
    Obviously, between a traditional chipper and an Italian traditional chipper?
    Are there different methods and practices? I'm very curious to get your "insider" view.
    I've found good and bad chippers run by Irish and Italians.

Agree with you on Fast Al's but believe it or not for a while when he first opened and Al made the pizzas, they were the best pizza in Cork, at the time. I don't know how the quality was allowed to drop so drastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

What is the difference?
    Obviously, between a traditional chipper and an Italian traditional chipper?
    Are there different methods and practices? I'm very curious to get your "insider" view.
    I've found good and bad chippers run by Irish and Italians.

Agree with you on Fast Al's but believe it or not for a while when he first opened and Al made the pizzas, they were the best pizza in Cork, at the time. I don't know how the quality was allowed to drop so drastically.

Palm oil versus beef dripping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’m surprised to hear that the chippers in cork aren’t pretty much the same as the ones in Dublin.
    Years ago my friends football team hosted an American soccer team for a week or so u16s I think and the American lads were crazy for our local chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

salmocab wrote: »
    I’m surprised to hear that the chippers in cork aren’t pretty much the same as the ones in Dublin.

Meh...lived in Dublin for 15 years. Good and bad chippers there also just like here. I did particularly like P.Borza in Dalkey but a few of the Macari's I ate in were only ok. C Aprile (non-italian) in Stillorgan was excellent also. Just like here..good and bad. Here, for example, I think the Dinos in Turners Cross is far superior in general to Dinos in Douglas.
    It is just as good as most chippers in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭yuridwyer

Slightly off topic..... but does anyone agree that nowhere is Cork does a proper battered sausage? I'm at the point that every time I'm in Cork (City or County) I have to try a different chipper to find the first one there!

yuridwyer wrote: »
    Slightly off topic..... but does anyone agree that nowhere is Cork does a proper battered sausage? I'm at the point that every time I'm in Cork (City or County) I have to try a different chipper to find the first one there!

Looney's in Blackpool does a good and cheap battered sausage. I really like their chips, too.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "proper" battered sausage, though. What do you look for in a bs?

Palm oil versus beef dripping

Italians use palm oil?
    Or you're saying the other way around?
    I know of Irish chippers using beef dripping - Looney's being an example I'm sure about because you can see the containers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭corks finest

Esho wrote:
    I tried a few places but its been straight out of the freezer bag and into the fryer, just not the same at all!

Chish n FIBS Crosshaven without doubt the best fish n chips in Cork( haddock yum yum)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Loads of places do beef dripping chips. Golden fry in Ballinlough, Franks in Carrigtwohill... maybe Denny’s by the he silver key?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Luciano's in Glanmire are from Italian family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Golden fry and Dennys are Palm oil as far as I know

Golden fry has boxes of beef dripping delivered in the front door.

Denny’s you might be right, it is definitely solid at room temp, does palm oil do that too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Best chips I've had in Cork are in the golden fry in Ballinlough, along with best potato pie.
    Keohanes in Midleton do a nice batter sausage and chips but a small portion.

Advertisement