Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Liffey valley SC loads of units closed

• 25-08-2018 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭

What's going on here? There's like 5 units closed all beside each other, down beside marks and Spencers. I know it's top shop and Evans and all those brands that are connected. But still, it's ridiculous. It's like a ghost town that end. If I was M and S I'd stop paying rent.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Arcadia didn't want to pay new rents so left en masse. The other units there would have no legal basis for refusing rent based on that.

Arcadia got as far as announcing closing down sales in Blanchardstown a few years ago until a deal was negotiated and they have still reduced the total number of shops there - Wallis gone for instance. Its part of Philip Green's business model to extract the lowest rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

Still it looks apalling. A landlord wants his shopping centre to be good. I have no idea who will go on there now, more clothes shops? That would be a disaster. It's all clothes down there anyway. That place is a joke now. The bigger question is what's the future of retail. With sky high rent and rates and all other expenses I don't think shops in the likes of Liffey valley will survive.

Are the landlords pricing themselves out of existence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

emo72 wrote: »
    Still it looks apalling. A landlord wants his shopping centre to be good. I have no idea who will go on there now, more clothes shops? That would be a disaster. It's all clothes down there anyway. That place is a joke now. The bigger question is what's the future of retail. With sky high rent and rates and all other expenses I don't think shops in the likes of Liffey valley will survive.

Are the landlords pricing themselves out of existence?

Time to buy stock in ASOS

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Still it looks apalling. A landlord wants his shopping centre to be good. I have no idea who will go on there now, more clothes shops? That would be a disaster. It's all clothes down there anyway.

That arm of the centre was 'all clothes' on the day it opened and has been ever since. Mall format shopping centres are primarily about clothes and accessories these days.

As goes "the landlords" - have a private pension? You're a shopping centre landlord and a private apartment rental landlord unless you are taking an extremely active role in selecting your funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With Brexit and the current major UK brands in trouble it all looks to be going south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Rents/rates are probably far too high to sustain.

Applies everywhere.

Businesses make these decisions based on turnover v profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Read the articles about the death of the American malls. An interesting look at the future in Ireland methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Heard either TK Max or Sports direct are moving there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'd be perfectly happy going to the SC for an afternoon but Public transport connections to anywhere other than direct route to or from the City Centre is almost non-existing or poorly implemented. I dont have a car but when I have a lift its about 10 minute drive. With public transport, including walking, it takes me up to one hour sometimes to get there. So I don't bother anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'd be perfectly happy going to the SC for an afternoon but Public transport connections to anywhere other than direct route to or from the City Centre is almost non-existing or poorly implemented. I dont have a car but when I have a lift its about 10 minute drive. With public transport, including walking, it takes me up to one hour sometimes to get there. So I don't bother anymore.

Even from the parts in Lucan and Clondalkin the furthest away from Liffey Valley, it won't take more than about 20 minutes on a bike?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

unkel wrote: »
    Even from the parts in Lucan and Clondalkin the furthest away from Liffey Valley, it won't take more than about 20 minutes on a bike?

Yes but I have a baby so it's not exactly an option.

A baby but no car. That must be tough.

A baby but no car. That must be tough.

Honestly it's not so bad at the moment. I'll be investing in a car next year moreso to visit the parents in the countryside. Orbital public transport in Dublin is dire though so many options of visiting Liffey or Blanch SC are not viable.

You're aware of the 239? Goes from LV SC to Blanch SC :)

You're aware of the 239? Goes from LV SC to Blanch SC :)

Yep, tried taking it three times. Late once, didn't show up another time. It's a disaster of a route. I'm from south of the tracks, for me to get there involves either a 13 bus/walk, 76 to Liffey, then 239. A lot of variables and a high chance for something to go wrong ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yeah, I was there today and had wanted to get office clothes in Burtons but instead encountered tumbleweed along that whole strip of the mall. It looks really bad. Despite a booming economy and low unemployment, consumers are spending much more online than in physical stores so the landlord is shortsighted fleecing tenants this way for short-term gains. Blanchard's town also has a few key units on the upper mall empty as well.

PS, I had a great breakfast in Noah's. Theyve a great menu! Wish Blanch had something like that!!

ongarboy wrote: »
    Yeah, I was there today and had wanted to get office clothes in Burtons but instead encountered tumbleweed along that whole strip of the mall. It looks really bad. Despite a booming economy and low unemployment, consumers are spending much more online than in physical stores so the landlord is shortsighted fleecing tenants this way for short-term gains. Blanchard's town also has a few key units on the upper mall empty as well.

PS, I had a great breakfast in Noah's. Theyve a great menu! Wish Blanch had something like that!!

Noah is a gem of Liffey Valley, the Avocado Toast is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

Got dragged to Liffey valley last night. I thought M and S looked really quiet, hardly a body in it. Dunno if that's the way it usually is. Maybe the food section keeps it ticking over. As for the empty section where all the clothes shops like top shop was, all it has is the calendar shop, and Halloween shop. They are just pop ups. If marks went that end of the centre would be closed off. Oh yeah another shop closed this week, Coast. Gone into liquidation. Crumlin shopping centre is starting to look better!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Got dragged to Liffey valley last night. I thought M and S looked really quiet, hardly a body in it. Dunno if that's the way it usually is. Maybe the food section keeps it ticking over. As for the empty section where all the clothes shops like top shop was, all it has is the calendar shop, and Halloween shop. They are just pop ups. If marks went that end of the centre would be closed off. Oh yeah another shop closed this week, Coast. Gone into liquidation. Crumlin shopping centre is starting to look better!

I was just passing the other day and noticed the pop up shops myself.

The quality of those type of shops is really not going to bring new customers to the Centre.

I'd be fuming if I were paying top rent and a tacky calandra shop opened up next door.

that spur restaurant is empty too as is the dodgy chicken place upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Got dragged to Liffey valley last night.

It's a bank holiday weekend. Maybe people are doing other things than hanging around in a shopping centre on Friday night?.

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »

The quality of those type of shops is really not going to bring new customers to the Centre.

I'd be fuming if I were paying top rent and a tacky calandra shop opened up next door.

Calendar shop is there every year at xmas time. Same as town. 20% off in alot of shops today as centre is 20 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

These places need to be experiences that people enjoy. There's very little future in utilitarian shopping centres.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    These places need to be experiences that people enjoy. There's very little future in utilitarian shopping centres.

Those days are gone. Why pay extra when cheaper online. Cafe's will take over lv like They are in town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The issue with online shopping is not simply price.

Lots of stores are all just stocking the same narrow range of stuff.

Often you can't find what you want in a bricks and mortar store so you'be no alternative but to go online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The old classic is with men's shoes that don't go above size 8 or 10 and they look at you like as if they've never encountered anyone who needs size 11.

Then you go online and never come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You mean what used to be Mckenzie's. Never had a problem with them. What happened to them anyway? Did they go into liquidation?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Calendar shop is there every year at xmas time. Same as town. 20% off in alot of shops today as centre is 20 years old.

I've never seen the calandar shop in any of the units there before.

Is it not usually just in the mall on a cart type thing?

I've never seen the calandar shop in any of the units there before.

Is it not usually just in the mall on a cart type thing?

It is there every year. Blanchardstown SC is no better either. Same pop up shops there too

It is there every year. Blanchardstown SC is no better either. Same pop up shops there too

My point is ive never seen it in an actual shop unit before.

I thought it was outside in the middle of the mall.. it's taking up a whole shop unit now - between that and the Halloween shop, that's 2 kinds of "nothing" filler shops beside each other.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    You mean what used to be Mckenzie's. Never had a problem with them. What happened to them anyway? Did they go into liquidation?

They were never busy. The food was always dried out and overlooked. They had one as well in St Stephens green- not sure if that went too.

Advertisement