Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yi Home Camera

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Three alerts today but still no notifications..

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Outdoor camera down to £55 on Amazon as a deal of the day
    YI Outdoor Camera

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Where would one find the rtsp binary? :)
    Im Looking into this again and I came across this...

https://github.com/TheCrypt0/yi-hack-v4

Worth keeping an eye on - looks like its just about there.
    Edit: Just to say... I havent loaded it -just literally came across it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Yeap, been following it too. Nothing ready just yet. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

https://github.com/shadow-1/yi-hack-v3/issues/15

A working implementation is out now.
    Not sure if/when the code will be made public.

"@shadow-1

I've finally finished my RTSP implementation, it works nicely with Home Assistant, Shinobi and other DVRs.
    It is available on the Discord for the supporters of the new project.

I'd like to reward all the people that have put their support on the Bounty by giving them full access to the RTSP on Discord.

Is it possible to close the issue now? Without that, Bountysource cannot mark it as solved.

Thanks,
    Crypto"

• Advertisement

https://github.com/shadow-1/yi-hack-v3/issues/15

A working implementation is out now.
    Not sure if/when the code will be made public.

"@shadow-1

I've finally finished my RTSP implementation, it works nicely with Home Assistant, Shinobi and other DVRs.
    It is available on the Discord for the supporters of the new project.

I'd like to reward all the people that have put their support on the Bounty by giving them full access to the RTSP on Discord.

Is it possible to close the issue now? Without that, Bountysource cannot mark it as solved.

Thanks,
    Crypto"

Excellent.... I think strictly speaking, due to licensing (the original is under GPL), he has to make it public - or at least, he can't stop anyone else making it public.
    But I wouldn't mind paying for it, I've 3 cameras and one on the way. Be nice to be cloud free.
    I've set up the SDK for the chip, just need a couple of days to get playing with it - I want to hook them into my home alarm setup over mqtt - goal is to switch the camera on and start recording when the alarm comes on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yes this looks interesting. The Yi Home app is absolute rubbish. I actually paid for the cloud subscription but the camera had decided to not upload to the cloud for a few days. Despite being online and viewable from the app. The only solution was to clear the cache on the app and connect to the camera again. It then started to upload.

What's even more annoying is that Xiaomi Mi Home app, which is for their cameras sold in China is way better. I have another camera running on that app for a year or more now with no issues. The camera is much smarter and can distiguish between a person and some other nonsense that might trigger the camera. It has other nice functionality well beyond Yi Home too. I guess there are regulatory reasons that this app can't be used in the EU...

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Is anyone using an indoor camera looking out a window? I want to keep an eye on my bike which is around 15m away from the window.

I will eventually get an outdoor camera but I need to sort out a power supply in the attic

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Is anyone using an indoor camera looking out a window? I want to keep an eye on my bike which is around 15m away from the window.

I will eventually get an outdoor camera but I need to sort out a power supply in the attic

Yes. I have this:

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Dafang-Smart-1080P-WiFi-IP-Camera-White-384022.html

Although it was not that expensive when I bought it maybe a year and a half ago. It was more like 20 quid. It works well. The only thing that will not work well is the night vision. Since it uses some infrared lights which reflect off the glass and make the nightvision image distorted. That being said, if there are any street lights around then it will work rather well as it's low light footage is rather good.

Yes. I have this:

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Dafang-Smart-1080P-WiFi-IP-Camera-White-384022.html

Although it was not that expensive when I bought it maybe a year and a half ago. It was more like 20 quid. It works well. The only thing that will not work well is the night vision. Since it uses some infrared lights which reflect off the glass and make the nightvision image distorted. That being said, if there are any street lights around then it will work rather well as it's low light footage is rather good.

Thanks there's a pretty decent street light over the bike so the area is pretty bright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

What kind of power supply or cable length comes with the outdoor yi camera?
    I see that I have an old unused satellite dish beside where i want to place the camera.
    Im hoping to use the satelite cable to supply the dc power to the camera, it would save all the drilling etc.

What kind of power supply or cable length comes with the outdoor yi camera?
    I see that I have an old unused satellite dish beside where i want to place the camera.
    Im hoping to use the satelite cable to supply the dc power to the camera, it would save all the drilling etc.

3m cable comes with the camera - its a USB type A connection flying lead, its fixed to the camera. But it just uses the power pins from USB line, its not for transmitting data.
    You should be ok using co-ax to run the DC voltage (as long as its not miles long) - you just might have to get creative and make up the connectors.

opinions please I'm hoping to buy a camera today on amazon and I am trying to decide between the static camera or the movable dome camera, I want 1080p and it'll be looking out a window.

I'm leaning towards the movable camera

opinions please I'm hoping to buy a camera today on amazon and I am trying to decide between the static camera or the movable dome camera, I want 1080p and it'll be looking out a window.

Links to the cameras? I have the dafang moveable camera and I've found it very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just get an outdoor one. The IR lights used in night mode reflect off glass

ted1 wrote: »
    Just get an outdoor one. The IR lights used in night mode reflect off glass

I will eventually but I need to sort out power in the attic first.

I want something quick for now to keep an eye on my new motorbike. If the lights are reflecting off the glass I'll cover them, there is a bright led street light beside my bike so should be able to see ok

Id get the dome one. If its on e.g. a window sill you can spin it remotely to look inside the house if you need - the other ones are fixed.
    The IR LEDS are configurable from the app.
    So you can just switch it off and you wont get a IR reflection on the glass. But depending on your lighting inside, you can still get reflections... if it is behind a pulled curtain you should be ok.
    If there is light outside you will still see your motorbike, although the ability to ID a face may be diminished.

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Id get the dome one. If its on e.g. a window sill you can spin it remotely to look inside the house if you need - the other ones are fixed.
    The IR LEDS are configurable from the app.
    So you can just switch it off and you wont get a IR reflection on the glass. But depending on your lighting inside, you can still get reflections... if it is behind a pulled curtain you should be ok.
    If there is light outside you will still see your motorbike, although the ability to ID a face may be diminished.

Thanks for that, it'll be behind blackout blinds and curtains so there will be no light from inside. I hadn't thought about being able to look inside that'd be handy for during the day when were out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I received a Yi Smart Camera 1080p in error from Gearbest on Thursday.
    I ordered from the advertisement which claimed IP66 rating and Protocol: IP,P2P but none of these seem accurate.
    https://www.gearbest.com/ip-cameras/pp_009428210043.html?wid=1433363

Has anyone got a Yi Smart Camera 1080p?

I wonder if there is a Firmware hack for this camera?
    I find it very difficult reading those hackers posts to determine which cameras can be hacked and which not ....... or more to the point how to determine what chipset is in the camera.

Any help appreciated.

I will try to return it but do not hold out a lot of hope, TBH.

I ordered from the advertisement which claimed IP66 rating and Protocol: IP,P2P but none of these seem accurate.

I find it very difficult reading those hackers posts to determine which cameras can be hacked and which not ....... or more to the point how to determine what chipset is in the camera.

Any help appreciated.

Send a link to the one you received in error.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Im having awful trouble adding a second camera to my cloud subscription. I signed up for the 7 day motion detection up to 5 devices. It looks like it want me to buy a new plan for the second camera. Anyone experience similar cloud issues?

Im having awful trouble adding a second camera to my cloud subscription. I signed up for the 7 day motion detection up to 5 devices. It looks like it want me to buy a new plan for the second camera. Anyone experience similar cloud issues?

Do people bother with the cloud plan ? Same functionality with the SD card.

ted1 wrote: »
    Do people bother with the cloud plan ? Same functionality with the SD card.

The risk is what happens when someone gets a big pole and smashes the camera off the wall and takes the sd card. Maybe if it is very high up this is unlikely, but a concern nonetheless.

The risk is what happens when someone gets a big pole and smashes the camera off the wall and takes the sd card. Maybe if it is very high up this is unlikely, but a concern nonetheless.

Fair enough. In my location I think that the risk is pretty low.

what plan did you sign up for in the first plaace?
    Theres one for 60 per annum that gives you 24 hr recording on 1 camera.
    Theres another for the same money which gives you 5 cameras and recording starts when motion is detected.

If you have the second option you should be able to add another camera under Discover->Cloud settings. And I think you then click the "manage" button.

If its the first one, Im not sure if you can switch - but you will have to fork out if you want a second on the same terms.

Edit: Must learn to read the writing first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

3m cable comes with the camera - its a USB type A connection flying lead, its fixed to the camera. But it just uses the power pins from USB line, its not for transmitting data.
    You should be ok using co-ax to run the DC voltage (as long as its not miles long) - you just might have to get creative and make up the connectors.

I have gotten it to work in the daytime using a 12v - 500ma supply to the coax, then a car-usb adapter at the other end of the coax.
    But it seems like the infrared light cant work at night at the lower level of power.
    The car adapter can take up to 24v, so I think I'll get a 24v supply (or maybe a supply with higher current) to try to increase the current/power at the cameras end.

I'll cover the outdoor connections with Sugru in the end once I happy with solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Any help appreciated.

Send a link to the one you received in error.

The camera received is the one shown in the advert linked above ..... it is a Yi Smart Camera 1080p which relies on the Yi app for access etc etc. See pic of underside of camera = Smart Camera = and the Yi app uses the same name.

The specifications in the advert are not accurate, as even the Yi app/site warns it is NOT IP66 rated; no IP or P2P that I can find.

It has been branded Go,comma on the front as shown in the pic.

Advertisement