Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Zealand

Options
  • 21-05-2018 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of going there for a visit in a few months.Is a visa required for a stay of less than three months?Im looking at either Auckland or Wellington to use as my base for exploring the country.I hear that Wellington is supposed to be the nicer city.But i would imagine seeing that it is the countrys largest city, that Auckland would have a lot going for it as well.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

I spent 4 weeks there last year. Got a one month visa on entry. Not sure if I could have got longer

I travelled from south to north and didn’t base myself anywhere. 3 to 4 nights in a few places. I didn’t really like Auckland. So if you are making a choice between the two then I would be picking wellington. Wellington also has advantage of been more central

Have you considered any other base? Christchurch is really nice. Flights connection to most cities. Well located in centre of South Island. Queenstown was my favourite city. Loads to do. Location isn’t the best in that it’s south of South Island. Also expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

None of the cities really had much charm for more than a week really. Auckland was the best of them. Wellington I wasn't a fan off at all, Christchurch was worse. Queenstown is a great spot and has a lot of natural places to see etc. I'd look at travelling around as much as you can while there

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I would definitely pick Wellington over Auckland. For me, Auckland was just another big city and was my least favourite place that I visited in New Zealand. Wellington had a nice smaller city charm to it which I enjoyed. Better rugby team too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭flandabieduzie

Depends on your budget. I'd also recommend moving around. New Zealand is very long. I'd start in Auckland and work my way down (but check out north of the city for a few days). Loads to do from there to queenstown - the adventure capital of the world. Also lots of lord of the rings activities/sights there. Hobbiton on the north island however.

There are bus company's that travel around and you can pay for a package and they organise your accommodation in hostels as you go. You can hop on and off the bus then as you desire and just need to book a place on the next bus passing through - normally at least every 2/3 days depending on the season you are intending to travel. it's also a nice way to meet people too and share experiences.

There are different companies to cater for different needs. Like the party bus kinda idea or a more off the beaten track tour. They will still take you to all the unmissable places.

Best of luck. It's beautiful there. You're so lucky to be heading off. Be safe and happy adventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Eyezone

I think Nez Zeland is another Ireland placed at the other side :))

Advertisement