Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilminchy Portlaoise

• 30-06-2017 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭

Hi, I haven't found anything too recent about said part of the town.
    How is Kilminchy and what parts of it should be avoided?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

LirW wrote: »
    Hi, I haven't found anything too recent about said part of the town.
    How is Kilminchy and what parts of it should be avoided?

Thanks a lot!

It's an estate so I'd say no parts are any different. I'm not a resident but live close and I never heard of any troubles areas there. That's if you're talking about trouble.
    If you mean the quality of the builds then it's all the same. The houses were literally thrown together as fast as they could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Do you know about any problems building-wise that people encounter there? Or is it okay-ish quality? I've just seen that there are a lot of different looking houses in the back and lots of apartment blocks in the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

LirW wrote: »
    Do you know about any problems building-wise that people encounter there? Or is it okay-ish quality? I've just seen that there are a lot of different looking houses in the back and lots of apartment blocks in the front.

I'm a plumber and from a plumbing perspective Kilminchy is shocking. Crap plumbers were hired and the houses were thrown together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Thanks, that's really helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I'd have to say Portlaoise is a grand town, but I wouldn't buy there.
    I'd look at one of the neighbouring towns or villages.

If it had to be Portlaoise however, I'd probably pick the Mountrath road side of town.
    There are lots of establised estates out there, far superior to Kilminchy.
    I've been in some of the houses in Kilminchy and they're merely alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 flixter

What estates in mountrath rd are best quality? Are they family friendly? Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Maryborough Village is a nice estate, from what I remember.
    Family friendly? I'd like to think so.
    Certainly close to local schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Maryborough Village is a nice estate, from what I remember.
    Family friendly? I'd like to think so.
    Certainly close to local schools.

Are you kidding? A lot of those are given to council.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I'm a plumber and from a plumbing perspective Kilminchy is shocking. Crap plumbers were hired and the houses were thrown together.

I'd agree with this having spent some time in one of them. One of the terrace rows of 4.

Poor water pressure, crap boiler, piss-poor sound insulation and separation generally (bedroom door would shake when the neighbour at the end of the terrace closed his front door), incredibly hard to keep heated and interior moisture on windows a regular thing) etc.

The particular road I was living on was grand though except for the lack of a back garden or any sort of privacy or separation from the other houses on the row.

I lived up in Foxburrow beside the hospital as well for a while. Far nicer estate but avoid the apartments - you could hear your upstairs neighbours conversations on the phone during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Agawa

I’m sorry, do you know exactly which part of Maryborough Village was sold to Council or still is ? TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Chooseyour

Really?? I viewed a property today for €300,000 and they said there was no council tenants

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Agawa wrote: »
    I’m sorry, do you know exactly which part of Maryborough Village was sold to Council or still is ? TIA

If it's anything like my estate, the answer is often "anything that becomes available"

In the terrace I mentioned above, 2 of the 4 were sold to the council in as many years and social housing tenants installed. One were grand. The other I could see being a problem in a few years when the kids grow up.

It's incredibly frustrating when you're renting privately and seeing houses you can't afford to buy given over to people for half-nothing, and when it's your taxes which are being spent to do it, and that you are competing against when trying to rent/buy yourself.

Advertisement