Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

• 11-10-2015 6:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Starbucks recently opened in Douglas village and Eddie Rockets opened in Topaz in Douglas.
    I think TK Maxx is opening in Douglas later this year but not sure when. They've opened a couple of stories around the country in the last few weeks.
    P.S. Let's try and keep this a positive thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 daveytheravey

Also personally I think the city centre is booming! New shops are coming in left right and centre and that fantastic development planned for the Grand Parade will be a great addition. THE REAL CAPITAL

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I'd put the bubbles on ice about the grand parade , fair while till thats open.

Be good to see shop fronts open on patrick st. Personally I don't care that its "high street" or what have you , get people back on the streets and you'll get people buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Superdry due to open later this month in Moderne shop. Today's Indo has a good article on Cork's rebounding retail sector.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/money-flowing-on-the-leeside-31599424.html

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Anybody know what's happening to the old Connolly's Books site on Paul Street? It was swarming with workmen when I passed by earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭thomil

It looks as if Nandos on Emmett Place will open soon as well. The construction fences have come down, and they seem to be working on the furniture and staff training. At least that's what it looked like when I walked past there last night. I'll try to upload a picture later.

Edit: Here"s the picture I talked about earlier. I hope it's not too large, but I couldn't find a guide to image size in the boards.ie FAQ

5ovfFhMsZSt1Cpre9

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Anybody know what's happening to the old Connolly's Books site on Paul Street? It was swarming with workmen when I passed by earlier.

I think there's a bakery/cafe going in there called ali's kitchen. I didn't know Connollys was gone!

Costa Coffee advertising jobs for new cafe in Bishopstown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

leahyl wrote: »
    I think there's a bakery/cafe going in there called ali's kitchen. I didn't know Connollys was gone!

retirement, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

ongarboy wrote: »
    Costa Coffee advertising jobs for new cafe in Bishopstown

Anybody know where this is going to be?

I was in Mahon Point recently and noticed the Calendar stall was open near Tesco.

Just saw Tiger is opening in Mahon Point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Just saw Tiger is opening in Mahon Point!

Good store. They'll be looking for a new city centre space soon as well.

TK Maxx are opening in Douglas on the 7th of April at 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Few of the places that have opened in the last 12-18 months, booming.

SALT
    Union Grind Coffee
    Langford Row Coffee
    Paddy the Farmers
    Rocket Man Falafel Place
    Loving Salads
    Ali's Kitchen
    Ted's Bar
    Miyazaki
    Sakura Sushi
    Brick Lane
    WeatherSpoons
    Three Fools Coffee

Starbucks opening its 7th Cork outlet in One Albert Quay

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/one-albert-quay-get-starbucks/2337809/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭thomil

Sorry for digging this thread out, but it looks like there's finally some movement at the former Mothercare store on Patrick Street.
    Posters appeared in the window advertising some kind of furniture/homeware store moving in there. I've attached two pictures to this post, I hope they're not too large.
    Also, Aroi Street Food in Carey's Lane is getting ready to re-open. According to posts on their Facebook page, they're looking to get started again in early October.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

thomil wrote: »
    Sorry for digging this thread out, but it looks like there's finally some movement at the former Mothercare store on Patrick Street.
    Posters appeared in the window advertising some kind of furniture/homeware store moving in there. I've attached two pictures to this post, I hope they're not too large.

Yes, Sostrene Grene are a Danish retailer (kind of a cross between Ikea and Tiger) for home ware/soft furnishings etc. They've opened a couple of outlets in Dublin this year already.

I also see Italian restaurant chain Carluccios outbid Milano's for the restaurant space that will take up the area at the back of the old Moderne store (Superdry having occupied the front space).

Starbucks opening their 8th Cork store in Blackpool in the old Xtravision unit! :)

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/starbucks-plan-open-blackpool/2531943/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ Dream Scruffy Siphon

Starbucks opening their 8th Cork store in Blackpool in the old Xtravision unit! :)

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/starbucks-plan-open-blackpool/2531943/

Good to see they (or at least their new landlords) got planning permission this time.

Boojum opening in Winthrop Street. They are really popular in Dublin for their burrittos.

http://www.dailyedge.ie/boojum-in-cork-3074287-Nov2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,132 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Boston Grill in Grange/Douglas has changed hands and is now a Dino's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Fabio

Boojum opening in Winthrop Street. They are really popular in Dublin for their burrittos.

http://www.dailyedge.ie/boojum-in-cork-3074287-Nov2016/

It replaces Ginos though which I think is a retrograde step. I mean Ginos was iconic.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Fabio wrote: »
    It replaces Ginos though which I think is a retrograde step. I mean Ginos was iconic.

Generally, shops/businesses in Cork only become iconic when they close. They're obviously not iconic enough for people to support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭brevity

A coffee shop called Rant has opened at St Luke's - right across from Henchys. Exactly what the cross needed tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

Saw mention of a new hotel for the South Terrace in d'Echo.

mire wrote: »
    Generally, shops/businesses in Cork only become iconic when they close. They're obviously not iconic enough for people to support them.

Clery's in Dublin suffered the same fate. Everyone lamented the closure of the iconic business but no one could remember the last time they ever bought anything there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭kat151283

New donut and coffee place opening at 16 south terrace called huckleberrys saw it on facebook, Its about time its badly needed.

Carraig Donn have opened in Douglas Village SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Carraig Donn have opened in Douglas Village SC.
    Unfortunately they closed the shop in Douglas Court SC first.

McCarthy's Home Interiors opening in Ballincollig this week. Also a new restaurant, Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

McCarthy's Home Interiors opening in Ballincollig this week. Also a new restaurant, Republic.

Where are both of those going?

It looks like there is work going on at the old Sam's Bar...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭RINO87

Unfortunately they closed the shop in Douglas Court SC first.

Whats the story there? Are douglas court charging stupid rents or what? The record shop moved over too.

Advertisement