Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone have bluebox Internet provider donegal??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

it really isnt !

fibre 200 yds from my house and i cant get it it , cant get bluebox, beacon or imagine, mobile signal is poor no 4g,

all under 2 miles form donegal town

I also live in of Co. Donegal. but a long drive from you, and I also cannot get Fiber Optic Broadband........One of the pleasures of living in the country.
    Apparently I "share" a telephone line and there is no intention of upgrading it.

Luckily, I get Broadband from Beacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Penfailed wrote: »
    We can't even get a landline for the phone...!
    I thought Eir was legally obliged to provide you with a line. Could be wrong but Im pretty sure it was the case a number of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Penfailed

muffler wrote: »
    I thought Eir was legally obliged to provide you with a line. Could be wrong but Im pretty sure it was the case a number of years ago.

I must check that out. It's been over ten years since we tried.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Penfailed wrote: »
    I must check that out. It's been over ten years since we tried.

This is correct, OpenEir have a legal obligation to provide you with a landline under their USO (Universal Service Obligation). This covers a landline as unfortunately broadband is not seen as a essential service.

You can get more info here: https://www.comreg.ie/consumer-information/home-phone/universal-service-obligations/

Please do get in touch if there is anything I can do to help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Firblog

Yeah, afaik they have to provide a telephone line, he has a line that can make telephone calls, so they have provided one. However I do think that they also have to provide a dedicated ISDN line if requested, which he doesn't have :) so if he orders that and pays for 6/12mths, can then request to get broadband on that dedicated line and get rid of the shared one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Firblog wrote: »
    Yeah, afaik they have to provide a telephone line, he has a line that can make telephone calls, so they have provided one. However I do think that they also have to provide a dedicated ISDN line if requested, which he doesn't have :) so if he orders that and pays for 6/12mths, can then request to get broadband on that dedicated line and get rid of the shared one.

That's interesting, didn't know USO covered ISDN lines. Suppose the speed mentioned in the USO would be a giveaway to that:
    What type of phone service is eir required to provide under the USO?
    The phone service provided by eir must be capable of allowing local, national, and international phone calls, as well as fax communications.

It should also be capable of providing data communications at rates that are sufficient to permit functional internet access. 28.8kbps is the minimum dataspeed that eir must endeavour to deliver, however it does not preclude eir from offering data rates that are faster than this.

Anyway im going to go ahead and stop hijacking this thread, the FTTH one exists already in the BB forum.

Advertisement