Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Center Parcs Resort for Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hondar

I have worked on it for the last 20 months.only downside i can see is,no local people employed on it.95% are from outside longford,westmeath,roscommon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

hondar wrote:
    I have worked on it for the last 20 months.only downside i can see is,no local people employed on it.95% are from outside longford,westmeath,roscommon.

If the prices charged at their other resorts are anything to go by, it's going to be very expensive to stay there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

hondar wrote: »
    I mean when it's open.
    If the prices charged at their other resorts are anything to go by, it's going to be very expensive to stay there.

This to, you'll be able to go to the sun somewhere for half what it's going to cost to go to most likely raining, longford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I don't think the weather will make much of a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

These places aren’t cheap but the ones in England hardly get amazing weather we don’t.
    They are however a hassle free family holiday just pack the car and kids and go. From Dublin you would be there in approximately the time it takes to drive to the airport and wait for your flight and that will appeal to a lot of people. Especially for shorter 4/5 night trips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Kuva wrote: »
    I mean when it's open.

This to, you'll be able to go to the sun somewhere for half what it's going to cost to go to most likely raining, longford.

Luckily they planned for the rain:

https://www.longfordleader.ie/news/features/302569/watch-the-subtropical-swimming-paradise-experience-that-is-coming-to-center-parcs-longford-forest.html

• Registered Users Posts: 26 petr1

1000 MINIMUM WAGE JOBS (OR SLIGHTLY ABOVE) THE PLACE WILL BE A REVOLVING DOOR OF STAFF LIKE IN ENGLAND

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Just saw an advertisement for a warehouse supervisor being advertised for this resort. 150 hours over a 4 week period. 466 a week. Not minimum wage but not great for what seems to be unset hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Just saw an advertisement for a warehouse supervisor being advertised for this resort. 150 hours over a 4 week period. 466 a week. Not minimum wage but not great for what seems to be unset hours.
    437 a week actually before tax

11.66 an hour. 37.5 hours. Very bad.

Read reviews of this place, alot of negative.

Edit:After tax 390.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

€2028 for 1 week stay in April 2019 for 2 adults and five children under 10. Crazy prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

ifElseThen wrote: »
    €2028 for 1 week stay in April 2019 for 2 adults and five children under 10. Crazy prices.
    How much would you expect to pay in Ireland for a very good hotel in Ireland with all those facilities for 2 adults + 5 children ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Got an email about this today saying booking was open for next November (2019). Had a look, to book for a 3 night weekend stay in a one bed apartment, self-catering basis for 2 adults is €489. A bit steep when you're not even getting breakfast but if that includes use of all the facilities there maybe it's not so bad. It wasn't clear what was included other than the accommodation.

deadl0ck wrote: »
    How much would you expect to pay in Ireland for a very good hotel in Ireland with all those facilities for 2 adults + 5 children ?

Yeah somewhere sleeping 7 is always going to cost a lot, I don’t think it’s outrageous although certainly not cheap and cheerful. I’d say this will go very well as I’ve said before the hassle saved over flying with kids will appeal to a lot of people who will pay a premium.

miamee wrote: »
    Got an email about this today saying booking was open for next November (2019). Had a look, to book for a 3 night weekend stay in a one bed apartment, self-catering basis for 2 adults is €489. A bit steep when you're not even getting breakfast but if that includes use of all the facilities there maybe it's not so bad. It wasn't clear what was included other than the accommodation.
    If like all the others then "everything" is extra.
    salmocab wrote: »
    Yeah somewhere sleeping 7 is always going to cost a lot, I don’t think it’s outrageous although certainly not cheap and cheerful. I’d say this will go very well as I’ve said before the hassle saved over flying with kids will appeal to a lot of people who will pay a premium.
    €400 more in Ireland vs a ferry over to one in England for the same thing going by comments on their facebook. They're getting tore a new one in the comments...it's a wonder they are not deleting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

No more than 1.4k.

2k would get you a good campsite accom in France in July for 10-14 nights.

ifElseThen wrote: »
    No more than 1.4k.

2k would get you a good campsite accom in France in July for 10-14 nights.
    And does that include flights ?
    And I'd also have to argue that a mobile home in France is hardly the same level as one of the lodges - you're not really comparing like with like

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

How is construction coming along? Some of the main structures must be up at this stage.

Any pics?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    How is construction coming along? Sime of the main structures must be up at this stage.

Any pics?
    They had a drone flying around a few weeks ago....here,

https://www.facebook.com/CenterParcsIE/videos/2202342313384763/

Wow, this place just keeps getting worse, in my eyes at least.

They're after putting up the first wave of House keeper/cleaner jobs, they've a 13hr contracted work weeks in there for some poor unfortunates, work hours between 10am and 2.45pm, it won't even suit the mothers wanting to earn a few bob while the kids are in school, maximum listed hours so far is 20hr week "with more hours available".

And all minimum wage of course.

My girlfriends friend applied for a previously advertised job and except for the initial automated reply, she never received any follow up. I can just imagine the HR people they have.

vargoo wrote: »

They're after putting up the first wave of House keeper/cleaner jobs, they've a 13hr contracted work weeks in there for some poor unfortunates, work hours between 10am and 2.45pm, it won't even suit the mothers wanting to earn a few bob while the kids are in school, maximum listed hours so far is 20hr week "with more hours available".

My girlfriends friend applied for a previously advertised job and except for the initial automated reply, she never received any follow up. I can just imagine the HR people they have.

I would have thought 10 - 2.45 is the perfect time for mothers with school pick ups and drop offs ?

• Advertisement

Why would they create jobs to suit mothers anyway? They will do what suits them as most businesses would do. They’re busy times will be when kids are off school anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

I've two "mothers" working for me.

Both work til 3pm,
    Both don't really care about rate of pay (it's above minimum)

They work with adults, earn some money and enjoy themselves.

I would have thought 10 - 2.45 is the perfect time for mothers with school pick ups and drop offs ?
    Oh, I was only thinking of younger kids, they get out earlier, that's the only exposure I have to that whole thing. Oh right, I was wondering who they were even aiming at with such jobs.

Why would they create jobs to suit mothers anyway? They will do what suits them as most businesses would do. They’re busy times will be when kids are off school anyway.

Their occupancy rates in England are 95%+.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

To be fair, that's about standard for those jobs here.

Their occupancy rates in England are 95%+.

Still going to be busier during school hols than not. They are cleaning jobs in a place with little industry so I’m sure they won’t struggle too much to fill the positions. If they do struggle then they will have to pay more as the market will dictate the level.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Oh, I was only thinking of younger kids, they get out earlier, that's the only exposure I have to that whole thing. Oh right, I was wondering who they were even aiming at with such jobs.

Check out Time is probably 10 and check in 3, hence the only hours available to clean is between them

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Would you not be ate alive with the midges??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Still going to be busier during school hols than not. They are cleaning jobs in a place with little industry so I’m sure they won’t struggle too much to fill the positions. If they do struggle then they will have to pay more as the market will dictate the level.

One of their biggest markets is corporate think-in and team building. Then you have the retirement market and the weekend market.

In the summer when it obviously will be busier, they'll use seasonal staff. Plenty of students available for a bit of real work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement