Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Business closures around the county

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I knew this thread was going to be depressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

foggy wrote: »
    Energise Gym at the New Dunnes has closed as well.

Anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

K-9 wrote: »
    A shame to see Classic Casuals going, best menswear shop in the town for years, probably too much competition in the town now, a couple have closed now.

Is Jack Jones still open? Walked past it a couple of weeks ago and it was shut.

Was in town for the first time in ages today (not been back in the country long) the Main St./Courtyard is turning into a ghost town
    Couldn't believe it when I saw CC was gone. On the up side a taxi driver reckons that they are re-opening in the Market Square.
    Where/what was Jack Jones? I'm just curious, I didn't see any sign of them on the Main St

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Where/what was Jack Jones? I'm just curious, I didn't see any sign of them on the Main St

The main shopping centre. The group went into examinership but I thought the store was safe, that was why I was surprised.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

deman wrote: »
    Anyone know why?

from there owner on facebook

" Hi folks, Donald McNair here, owner of Energie Fitness club in Letterkenny.
    I appreciate everyone’s anger and annoyance about what has happened at the club so I feel I should explain the situation a bit better. I was recently diagnosed with an illness that forced me to look at my personal life in depth. In the current economic climate the business, as every business, was extremely difficult to keep going and unfortunately, it could not sustain itself financially any longer so I took the decision to scale it back. I am in negotiations to try to find a way to keep the club open for the members but unfortunately I was forced to let my staff go. It was the hardest decision I have ever had to make and one that I deeply regret and feel very saddened about. As far as I am concerned, my staff were the best team of people I could have worked with and I know they gave everything to me while employed. I want to publically thank them here for everything and also to apologise to them for the way that it had to end. Can I also apologise to the members of the club and assure them I am doing everything I can to keep the club open for them and I will issue a formal statement next week on the progress."

Needless to say theres a lot of people on there page who have paid for membership up front that are very very angry!!

link - https://www.facebook.com/attiva.letterkenny

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    The main shopping centre. The group went into examinership but I thought the store was safe, that was why I was surprised.

Thanks for the info. I'm in the Shopping Center at the moment and have to say the number of empty units, specially along the extension/corridor is deeply depressing.
    The only two shops with people in them are the butchers & the phone shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I was in Letterkenny on Sunday, I had planned on going to Pat's Pizza after all the good stuff I read on here, but it was closed, at 2pm :confused:

So went to Four Star instead, we were the second customers of the day, and he had been opened since 12.

It's sad to see all these closures, and for sure there will be more to follow

I was in Letterkenny on Sunday, I had planned on going to Pat's Pizza after all the good stuff I read on here, but it was closed, at 2pm :confused:

So went to Four Star instead, we were the second customers of the day, and he had been opened since 12.

It's sad to see all these closures, and for sure there will be more to follow

When you've the Quiet Moment and the Sandwich Company company next door or across the road, I doubt Pat's Pizza stands a chance, never mind Doherty butchers with a cheap deli. I can understand why they don't open until late.

The Sandwich company closes at 5 :confused: and the deli stops around then, the Quiet Moment closes at 6. Makes perfect sense.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

And yet there's no place to get a coffee and a snack after 6pm. That's a disgrace IMO. Pub or chipper and that's it.

If somewhere opened to allow you to get a coffee and cake (or even a Club Milk), with wifi or the paper and a bit of decent music on the stereo (ie. Not the radio) then it would attract a few and probably eventually become an alternative to the pubs.
    I'm not talking about €2.50 for a filter coffee either.

Like has been mentioned, a bit of imagination would scare the pants off the business owners in LK.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

I heard Grant Computers in Ballybofey has closed.

Heard that the 4 Lites in Ballybofey was going to close, but that they negotiated a rent reduction which made it worth staying open. It hasn't really taken off, too many chippers in the town already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

It's really heartbreaking to see all these businesses go into recievership or close down, the Quality Court Hotel is the latest one. Something needs to be done about this!

<SNIP>

It's really heartbreaking to see all these businesses go into recievership or close down, the Quality Court Hotel is the latest one. Something needs to be done about this!

<SNIP>
    Please read the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

Pique wrote: »

If somewhere opened to allow you to get a coffee and cake (or even a Club Milk), with wifi or the paper and a bit of decent music on the stereo (ie. Not the radio) then it would attract a few and probably eventually become an alternative to the pubs.
    I'm not talking about €2.50 for a filter coffee either.

Like has been mentioned, a bit of imagination would scare the pants off the business owners in LK.

Imagination is grand, but when it comes up against cold hard financial reality then I'm afraid imagination usually doesn't stand up..
    For what you propose the weekly running costs would probably be in the region of €1100 (min) you'd have to sell alot of club milks and cups of tea/coffee to cover that, would have to do a lot more than 'attract a few'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Well, no wonder businesses are closing left right and centre. I live 10 minutes outside Letterkenny... along a main road, however to my dismay there are no buses running at frequent times ....

I'm suppose to be at work at 10am tomoro morning, the only bus that passes is at 7.55 leaving me in LK for 8.05.

One of the contributing factors I'd say..

Agree 100% there is no decent public transport in Donegal. If you don't have a car you are stranded.
    My ex-wife's aunt lives in Fanad and she has to get a taxi any time she needs to come to Letterkenny which means that she has very little disposable income. Expand that to the rest of county and it has to have a detrimental effect on spending power and business.

There are 9 buses running everyday between Ballyboffey and Letterkenny

13 everyday between Derry & Letterkenny (if there were fewer of these there might be fewer businesses going to the wall in Letterkenny)

Link

Seems a pretty good service to letterkenny to me

Firblog wrote: »
    13 everyday between Derry & Letterkenny (if there were fewer of these there might be fewer businesses going to the wall in Letterkenny)
    I dont understand your point with that comment. Can you elaborate?

It was a roundabout observation that if more people shopped locally then there would be less business closures & less unemployment.
    The frequent bus service to Derry makes it much easier for people to shop in the north, which can be a false economy..

Firblog, I live on the other side of Letterkenny, the dungloe side. It's impossible to get a bus. Approx I'd say 4 buses go through every day, less on a saturday and sunday. Has an awful effect on myself anyways money wise. Trying to organise lifts and car sharing is the only way I've still got my job atm anyways.

I used to live in Inishowen and the services to there just seem to be getting worse and worse. I know donegal has a smaller population than other counties but its such a hugh county transport wise, it's hard to get anywhere.

People tend to mill alot around the shopping centre were tescos are, seems to always be the busiest place in town, as well as were the new Dealz store is.

Ah sorry, didn't think of that direction or even out the mountain top.. Just not viable to run hourly services from those directions given the populations I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

I saw people with suitcases walking in the front door of the Quality Court Hotel over the weekend.
    Didn't look very closed to me..:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Pique wrote: »
    I saw people with suitcases walking in the front door of the Quality Court Hotel over the weekend.
    Didn't look very closed to me..:confused:

It's not closed its gone into liquidation / receivership, still open but on the verge of closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

It's not closed its gone into liquidation / receivership, still open but on the verge of closing.

Receiver will try to sell the Quality Court as a going concern. If anybody is willing to buy it it will stay open. Like the Sandhouse, if you don't have to pay the debts then it should be a viable business.
    It never seemed interested in local trade and the town centre location made it popular with hens and stags who tend to scare off other business.

If the Receiver thinks it is still viable they can run it as a going concern. The main creditors which are usually the banks, are happy enough to get some return from the asset.

The Clanree and Gallaghers in Letterkenny and Caiseal Mara in Movile are in receivership for over 2 years now and still trading. No new owners AFAIK.

3 hotels in Letterkenny in Receivership, the 2 big retail parks as well, at this rate Receivers will be running half the town!

The retail parks are in recievership?? didn't know that now!!

tatabubbly wrote: »
    The retail parks are in recievership?? didn't know that now!!

Yep, couple of months back:

http://donegalnews.com/2012/03/02/blow-for-retail-parks-builder/

Just been into Harry Corry and 'The Jean Scene' beside it is closing down, that leaves only three shops in that mall

Cash for gold shop opened up where grant computers was in Ballyboffey,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Just been into Harry Corry and 'The Jean Scene' beside it is closing down, that leaves only three shops in that mall

That shop closing has been the biggest joke I've ever heard of - those closing down/all stock must go signs have been in the windows ever since I lived in L'K back in 2005. Unless I am really mistaken (which I don't think I am) I honestly can't imagine how it's legal to advertise that you're closing down for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Firblog wrote: »
    Cash for gold shop opened up where grant computers was in Ballyboffey,

yay! a positive news story.. :rolleyes:

Advertisement