Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

I second Star Anise (early bird) and Market Lane. I also think the early bird in Electric on the South Mall is good. If you could take a bus to Douglas, Ecos is great but you have to book in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Fenns Quay on... Fenns Quay. :)

Electric - prefer their bar food.

Isaacs on McCurtain Street.

Annies on Sundays Well (bit pricey but heavenly).

Club Brasserie by the Clarion Hotel.

Indigo I think it's called - Washington Street.

Liberty Grill - other end of Washington Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

+1 for Luigi Malones, really nice food but can get very busy when there's something on in the Opera House!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Luigi Malone's I find very expensive unless you get the Early Bird Menu. Food is average at best.

Forgot about Isaac's and there's also Greene's in the same building that is excellent too. Both are on McCurtain St as already mentioned.

OP - Any chance you could get a taxi out to Annie's Bar in Sunday's Well? Not far from CC but the food is WICKED!!! Well worth the trip...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I would recommend
    Rossini -Italian
    Les Gourmandises - French
    Isaacs
    Market Lane -resonable prices
    Scoozie's - resonable prices
    Strasbourg Goose -currently doing 3 course meal for 20 quid.
    Enjoy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I third Star Anise;)
    Early bird is excellent value.

Personally, though, I'd stay well clear of Eco's in Douglas - lowest common denominator food - hence they are always busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

That's quite a lot, thanks :)

I guess, I have something to do on my day off tomorrow, checking websites, throwing dices, looking forward to have a good time :cool:

Most likely going Monday, so are there any of the mentioned above, which are most likely packed on a Bank Holiday between 6ish and 9ish in the evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Hey guys,

Looking to bring me mammy out for dinner for her birthday on Friday. Seeing as Im just outta college I think im looking at the early bird option so we can get some decent grub without a huge pricetag.

Anyone have any recommendations? I know theres a thread on this already but its a few years old.

What about that place by the clarion (the boardwalk??)? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

I havent been to the Boardwalk myself but i think tis pretty basic as far as i have heard nothing special.. I can verify that The Strasbourg Goose does loverly food, both homely but yet with the special touch..The duck in orange sauce if yummie. The do an early bird think tis €20 for a three course of a 2 course with a glass of wine..

Only thing is you defo need to book in advance and ask them for a nice cozy place where you can relax as tis a little cramped in some but still great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Market Lane does EB Specials. Think it's E20 for 3 courses...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

The Strasbourg Goose does the 20 notes 3 course all night. Great food. You can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

Another nod to the Strasbourg goose. Good and buttery!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If she likes seafood, and you want her to feel very special, the new seafood restaurant in the Clarion, Oysters, do an early bird between 5.30 and 7 for €25. I ate there last week (not the early bird) and it was fabulous.

The Boardwalk is average, at best, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Hurray, another restaurant thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Am I the only one in Cork who think the strasbourg goose is not too good?

I find it overcooked, possibly aimed entirely at students. The food is served on way too many plates. I think I got a main course that was 4 subplates on the one plate. Why so much crockery strasbourg goose?

Oh, and I had a platter of hot vegetables poured down my back by a waitress who tripped as she walked past us... who didn't apologise.

Way too studenty for mammies. Bring her to Market Lane.

Faith wrote: »
    If she likes seafood, and you want her to feel very special, the new seafood restaurant in the Clarion, Oysters, do an early bird between 5.30 and 7 for €25. I ate there last week (not the early bird) and it was fabulous.

Good to know, I was wondering how that place was. Gutted when augustines closed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Jacob's on The Mall.
    Set menu only a little more expensive than the prices I see mentioned above. Good food in a very nice setting

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

pwurple wrote: »
    Good to know, I was wondering how that place was. Gutted when augustines closed there.

I didn't know what to expect, but I loved it. Would recommend it to anyone. The attention to detail and the service was as good as the menu.

Thanks lads! Think I'll chance Strasbourg goose! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Milly33 wrote: »
    I havent been to the Boardwalk myself but i think tis pretty basic as far as i have heard nothing special.. I can verify that The Strasbourg Goose does loverly food, both homely but yet with the special touch..The duck in orange sauce if yummie. The do an early bird think tis €20 for a three course of a 2 course with a glass of wine..

Only thing is you defo need to book in advance and ask them for a nice cozy place where you can relax as tis a little cramped in some but still great

Also, portion sizes are small, especially the starters. The food is good but there are better places to go to be honest, last time I went there it had gone downhill compared to previous times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I find it overcooked, possibly aimed entirely at students. The food is served on way too many plates. I think I got a main course that was 4 subplates on the one plate. Why so much crockery strasbourg goose?

Oh, and I had a platter of hot vegetables poured down my back by a waitress who tripped as she walked past us... who didn't apologise.

Iv been to the Strasbourg Goose 4 times and iv never seen any dish served on 4 plates.

Secondly the waitress could have been hurt and most definetly was seriously embarrassed. Do you think she meant to trip and spill vegtables down your back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Fenns Quay just off of Washington street is my new favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Andip wrote: »
    Fenns Quay just off of Washington street is my new favourite

Haven't been in there under the new owners yet but I hear good things.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Iv been to the Strasbourg Goose 4 times and iv never seen any dish served on 4 plates.

Secondly the waitress could have been hurt and most definetly was seriously embarrassed. Do you think she meant to trip and spill vegtables down your back?

I can't even remember what I had on loads of plates, but Their steak comes in loads of seperate little dishes doesn't it? The waitress barely noticed. She shrugged and kept on walking. It was me who was hurt, i had a (mild) burn down my back. Meh, you can get a bad experience anywhere, but it put me off the place.

Plus, what is with the blinding light levels in there? It's like a tv studio it is so bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Am I the only one in Cork who think the strasbourg goose is not too good?

Way too studenty for mammies. Bring her to Market Lane.

I went there with a good friend of mine who is a chef and takes her food seriously and she had nothing but praise for the place. The waitress doesn't sound good to be fair but when I was there the staff were lovely. Still food is really good, my fillet steak with blue cheese was amazing. One thing though, the desserts are nothing to write home about. They're ok but not great.

If you want to shell out a little more the set menu in Jacobs is absolutely brilliant. Best food I've had in Cork, their passion fruit parfait is the best thing ever.

Anyone been to Greens recently? Is it any good? They seem to have a good early bird for 25 quid

Say it would be good for early bird but I dunno I think tis overrated after that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Davie89 wrote: »
    Anyone been to Greens recently? Is it any good? They seem to have a good early bird for 25 quid

I was there a couple of months ago for the early bird. Very nice food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi

Wife and I are heading down to Cork for the weekend, looking for some local knowledge please.

Its been over a year since we were there last.
    Staying in Clarion, heres a few of the pubs we had planed to visit
    Bodega, Suas, Soho, Long Island Bar, Electric, Boqueira along those lines..

Any new pubs open in that general area,

looking for some restaurant recommendations also...

Much appreciated!!

• Advertisement

Well if you are going to Soho ye should go for dinner upstairs. If you like steak oh tis really nice there, the one on the hot rock.. yummie

Strasbourg Goose is a nice cozy spot very busy though so you would need to pre-book. They have a great early bird option. Duck in orange sauce is very nice...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement