Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Pub in Dundalk?

• 07-11-2005 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

i was reading a thread about the worst pub in drogheda, so i thought id see what people thought of pubs in dundalk, what their favourites were?

for me, id say lawlors (thursday nights), courtneys, and the inimitable moes -back in the day!!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd probablly say Oscars for a quiet pint, or Parks Bar in the Imperial for a night out, the service in Oscars is second to none, and although Parks bar the service isn't great there are some staff who try and it's slowly improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Always liked The Seanachai, Russels and McManus back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

Bluetonic wrote:
    Always liked The Seanachai,
    Beerkeeper? i vaguely remember seanchai, showin my age :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Jaysus, I find Oscars to have the single most consistantly bad pint in town - undrinkable in fact.
    Quite partial to Parkes bar too, it's beer is usually of a good quality - considering it's a trendy bar.
    Others I'm partial to are: McKeowns, O'Connells, The Shamrock, The Fane, The Windsor & Beerkepper. Basically anywhere you can get a quality pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

AOH Hall anyone?

• Advertisement

never been in the AOH! dundalk has plenty of pubs to cater for all tastes , i think. i like young, studenty (?) bars whereas other people go to pubs for the service, good pint, clientele, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Is Oscars the one with the nightclub at the back of it??? If so then i like that place. Not so fond of the beerkeeper, i like my pints of miller :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

The Seanchai or the Pheonix are the nicest I reckon and I can't really complain about Ridleys bar. Although I like Parks the odd night. Good going out atmosphere.

Lawlors can be good on a Thursday but the Spirit Store is the classic for live music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

For me my favorite pub s lawlors , i live in the place . Now im in no means saying that it is the best pub , but everyone knows me and i get on very well with the bar staff , and they know what im drinking. Its cheers for me "everbody knows your name" .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Lawlors is a good spot alright, but that band on Thursdays are cr*p

• Advertisement

im the same in lawlors :p i like that band vertigo, matter of opinion. leanne, there's no club at the back of oscars, u thinking of parkes (imperial?), or harveys, ridleys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Oh Ridley's it is then. Went one Friday night and played all the old skool dance in the pub, put me in great form lol!
    I liked the night club - was nice and airy and i liked the smoking area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Spirit Store all the way. I love the cosiness of it, lovely warm atmosphere, the staff are lovely, great selection of drinks, excellent live music, etc. It's just a really nice pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

That band Vertigo use backing tracks for everything but vocals.

It's not really a live band.
    Sorta like watchin posers pretending to be playin.

I suppose some people would like it, but these people probably would hate the Spirit Store I guess.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Spirit Store all the way. I love the cosiness of it, lovely warm atmosphere, the staff are lovely, great selection of drinks, excellent live music, etc. It's just a really nice pub.

Agreed. Like the Beer Keeper too but it's always too full. Haven't been there in ages though.

Yeah i like the spirit store myself , havent been there in a long long time. Maybe before feyla moves up to dublin we will organise a going away drinks in the store .

Aye, maybe. Might be moving very soon but we'll see.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I have got to say there can't be a better spot that the Beer Keeper for a nice evening pint. I haven't been in it on weekends, but I'm sure it would be very busy which isn't the nicest.

The Spirit Store isn't half bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I used to love Central Perk before that kip Moe's opened on the same premises..

Now I drink in the Beerkeeper anytime I am back home..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead knows for a fact that Doesn't get any better than Dessie Corbetts on a Sunday Afternoon.
    You've got your pool/snooker tables,you're good pints,a cracking jukebox and a big screen for the match.Game Set And Match to Dessie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Pighead wrote:
    Pighead knows for a fact that Doesn't get any better than Dessie Corbetts on a Sunday Afternoon.
    You've got your pool/snooker tables,you're good pints,a cracking jukebox and a big screen for the match.Game Set And Match to Dessie.

Good pints in Corbetts? First I've heard of it. Toales beats any pint in the town!!!

The Guinness in Corbetts ain't too bad during the afternoon tbh. Although, Guinness is Toales is savage but the Spirit Store beats it.

petes : toales for the guinness indeed is great :D

corbetts are good charging you €4 for a can of bulmers because he doesnt do pint bottles.

€3.30 for a pint of Guinness in Toales.
    Savage price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've never had a bad pint in Oscars yet, got a few dodgy one's in The Beerkeeper though. The Beerkeeper's grand but too busy.

Russells, ahhh, about 8yrs ago it was the business, thursday night, college ball, savage spot! The Earl Inn was great before the college ball's too, haven't been in it in about 4 yrs.

Any of ye remember "Jokers"??? It was across the road from the Earl inn, think it's a bank or building society thats there now, beside were R Q O'Neills was before "The Great Fire Of Dundalk".

And what about PA's college disco night? I'm straying now.

Corbetts used to be good, but Dessie browned me off a little with his "ManUtd" banter.

McManus's, also a great pub in it's day, haven't been there in ages. I know a few people who were jumped coming out of it heading into town by lads hanging round the small park.

Sparks400 wrote:
    I've never had a bad pint in Oscars yet, got a few dodgy one's in The Beerkeeper though. The Beerkeeper's grand but too busy.

Russells, ahhh, about 8yrs ago it was the business, thursday night, college ball, savage spot! The Earl Inn was great before the college ball's too, haven't been in it in about 4 yrs.

Any of ye remember "Jokers"??? It was across the road from the Earl inn, think it's a bank or building society thats there now, beside were R Q O'Neills was before "The Great Fire Of Dundalk".

And what about PA's college disco night? I'm straying now.

Corbetts used to be good, but Dessie browned me off a little with his "ManUtd" banter.

McManus's, also a great pub in it's day, haven't been there in ages. I know a few people who were jumped coming out of it heading into town by lads hanging round the small park.

I was in Russells last night. Oscars has'nt great pints. I don't think I've ever had a good pint of stout in there. Nice food though.

I used to work in oscars and i can honestly say there is better pub around the town for drinks and food , just a pity they have let there clientele slip as well. NOt a place i go into now unless its a stop into say hi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

the pints in Oscar's are stinking - can't even drink them (and thats a lot for me:D )

I like lawlors good craic and all that

and i like beerkeeper although drinkin the erdinger or mixed berry cider always causes trouble for me or the ever so friendly staff in ridleys :rolleyes:

don't mind the pheonix although betty tends to get on my nerves very easily.

worst pubs in town are problably the abvious bridge street area one, ie Seans Tavern, Brian Boru and the likes

Looking forward to Moe's opening supposed to be a hell of a place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I hate ending up in Dessies but I always seem to - the lads are drawn to it like flies to ****. I do like to own the pool table on occasion though. :D And great for a game of snooker and a few pints over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MKDon's

I haven't been home for about 5 years so I haven't a clue where half these pubs are! Back in the day though, for me it has to be MJ's, the only pub in Dundalk where you could order a pint in your school uniform!

Advertisement