Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah it seems they were a problem pretty much everywhere they exist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

This will do the vegan/vegetarian movement more good than any lobbying or PR campaigns could ever dream of achieving!

By the by, insomnia sucks ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭jacothelad

molloyjh wrote: »
    The problem is that we simply dont have the resources to enforce this stuff the way it needs to be enforced. We just dont police that way. Our Gardai & laws are, by design, a lot more passive and collegial (not the right word, but you get the point) than strict and combative. The aim was always to work with the public rather than strictly police them.

Now there's def an argument for that approach being outdated, but that doesn't change where we are now. Which is simply not in a place to do a whole lot else.

That said, people shouldn't need to be forced to do the right thing. If they need that then the problem certainly doesn't lie with the police or the Gov. Some personal responsibility would go a hell of a long way. Without that, there's really only so much that can be done.

Policing in Ireland and the UK is normally by consent rather than by military type actions. The populations as a rule are reasonable and do the right thing when asked. Booze and stupidity vie with cretinous arrogance in a few to ruin it for the many.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No mass opt-out by the NFL players then. Only the Patriots were considerably affected with a few starters going to miss the season.

Let's see how long the season can last (starts on the 10th September) but selfishly I'll relish having it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I can see it being completely cancelled. Just because it would be hilariously cruel to Buccaneers fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

How oh how did I ever exist without GNOME workspaces. Good lord the convenience of spatially mapped windows is incredible. Never again shall I bow to the capricious whimsical sadism of alt+tab.

Thanks to Boris Johnson, there is now more than enough room in Britain to house any asylum seekers, experts have today confirmed.

Responding to the ongoing far-right claim that Britain is ‘overcrowded’ and cannot take on another single dinghy of up to a dozen desperate asylum seekers, Home Secretary Priti Useless yesterday appointed a ‘Clandestine Channel Threat Commander’, which sounds like the kind of title Mark 'The Poison Dwarf @blunderwank.****wit' Francois would bestow upon himself to make himself feel important during a day trip to Dover.

“We’re not overcrowded, though, not even remotely,” laughed statistician and rational human Simon Williams. “Even before the pandemic, we had plenty of space for people seeking refuge. Only around six per cent of Great Britain is built on – we’re hardly down town Manhattan.” He explained, “What a lot of people don’t realise is that people leave the country as well as come into it. All the European doctors and nurses who went back to their country of birth as they felt unwelcome following the Brexit vote, for a start. And Tommy Robinson, or whatever his name is, is heading to Spain soon, so that’ll free up a bit of space as well. And Boris himself has created loads of room for these asylum seekers to stay, by causing around thirty thousand excess deaths in care homes from his abysmal handling of the pandemic. So those rooms are going begging, too.”

Asked for comment, Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage responded, “But they are not asylum seekers, they are illegal immigrants. How can I tell? Asylum seekers are always white, like my great-great-grandparents were when they came to Britain from Germany penniless and hoping for a better life. These ones we see in dinghies aren’t.”

In a bid to tackle the unstoppable flow of immigrants on tiny inflatable dinghies into the country, Britain First have taken matters into their own hands by taking to the high seas themselves.

The so-called ‘invasion’ of migrants has been documented daily by Nigel Farage, who in the absence of having any friends has taken it upon himself to film dinghies sometimes carrying up to four or five terrified asylum seekers landing on England’s beaches.

“We are being invaded, so we wanted to do something about it to let these illegals know they’re not welcome here,” explained Britain First member, football hooligan and captain of the vessel, Bigsteve7369922. “We officially named and launched the vessel ‘HMS Diffendor Of Are Cuntry’ yesterday morning by smashing a can of lager across the bow, and when we’re not patrolling the channel you’ll find us patriotically moored up as near as we can get to the Wetherspoons in Ramsgate.”

He continued, “I’ve got a tough crew of hardened sailors who are going to scare these illegals into retreating.
    Barry, my second in command has even brought his own BB gun. And we’ve got a flag that reads “Your not welcum hear until you can speek Inglish!1!”, which I think sends a clear message to anyone trying to get to our shores.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    How oh how did I ever exist without GNOME workspaces. Good lord the convenience of spatially mapped windows is incredible. Never again shall I bow to the capricious whimsical sadism of alt+tab.

They'd also look good in the garden....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭swiwi_

So...any takers for Russia’s Covid vaccine? If it’s good enough for Putin’s daughter...

Putin hops on the phone with Trump and gets 250 million orders for an undertested vaccine?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Putin hops on the phone with Trump and gets 250 million orders for an undertested vaccine?

Holy crap it was tested on less than 100 people :eek:

It’s a clearly dangerous and awful approach for the Russians BUT if it works and it produces a viable vaccine... then what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭swiwi_

It’s a clearly dangerous and awful approach for the Russians BUT if it works and it produces a viable vaccine... then what?

They sadly die of radiation poisoning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

swiwi_ wrote: »
    They sadly die of radiation poisoning.

Yes but at least it wasn't Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just laughing at lunchtime about Putin's "miracle" vaccine. Gives it to the daughter....

"how do you feel now?"

"Not great"

"I'll ask you again...how do you feel now"

"I'm fine"

Yep that's ready now lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

If this works, it will be great news on two fronts;
    1) we'll have a viable vaccine that (hopefully) our Russian comrades will share with us for a reasonable fee.
    2) the Russian vaccine is based on the 'adenovirus' technique of vaccine delivery. This has been around for a number of years and unfortunately has been associated with far more failures than successes - but it is also the basis for a number of other Covid vaccine projects, including the Oxford one that is getting a lot of attention. If it can be shown that the adenovirus vector can be effective for Covid vaccines, then it's grounds for optimism on the others.

If it doesn't work, we just dismiss it as crazy Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Biden names Kamala Harris as his VP pick. That will certainly rub some people the wrong way. Personally, I look forward to her debating Pence with glee.

DGRulz wrote: »
    Biden names Kamala Harris as his VP pick. That will certainly rub some people the wrong way. Personally, I look forward to her debating Pence with glee.

Her polling earlier in the primary campaign was good - in particular she polls well with moderate republicans. She is more to the right of the Democratic party, but it's obvious now why Biden has embraced Sanders platform to the degree that he has - Harris will now attack Trump from the right.

I had hoped Tammy Duckworth would get the nod for VP, I think she'd make a terrific president and I doubt Biden will run in 4 years time - (I'm not convinced he should be running now). Harris is still a solid choice from an electioneering point of view, she will secure a number of voting blocks and she will demolish Pence in the debates.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't really see how the debating skills of the VP are going to have any impact on the decision of the toilet-lapping ****buckets who are set to vote Trump.

I don't really see how the debating skills of the VP are going to have any impact on the decision of the toilet-lapping ****buckets who are set to vote Trump.

The Vice President has largely been a vote preserver rather than a vote gainer.

This year will be different however given the age profile of the candidates and the fact that there is a pandemic which disproportionately targets the elderly. The presidential debates may not happen given how unstable Trump is - but I can't see the VP debates not going ahead.

From that perspective - Harris is ideal.

• Advertisement

We'll never know if it works. There's no control if they just go and jab everyone. .

A similar argument is spreading around US Twitter, saying people should just be allowed use whatever vaccine they want, before efficacy is established in a large controlled experiment. The argument is that we will learn faster if they work. But the whole reason to wait for the RCT results is that you have no other way of knowing that the treatment caused the change.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

We'll never know if it works. There's no control if they just go and jab everyone. .

A similar argument is spreading around US Twitter, saying people should just be allowed use whatever vaccine they want, before efficacy is established in a large controlled experiment. The argument is that we will learn faster if they work. But the whole reason to wait for the RCT results is that you have no other way of knowing that the treatment caused the change.

The corollary argument is that if all the Russians get it, the rest of us will be the control group. Or in the US case, if there are 4 vaccines and say 20-50 million people get one of them each, there will still be millions of anti-vaxxers to act as a control group.

So you would presumably not compare "Russia vs The World", because you want to establish the vaccine is the difference between getting the virus or not, when you are faced with the same exposure. For this, you want to compare Russia with countries where people had a similar risk of catching the virus. (E.g., New Zealand's numbers are so good without a vaccine; hard for Russia to beat them.)

So how do you decide that two countries have similar risk? Population density, immigration dynamics, social customs, age, government restrictions - these will all play a part.

But the hardest thing to nail down in a retrospective comparison like this are the dynamics of the virus at baseline. For starters, how close to herd immunity were both countries to begin with? That's going to be a massive confound. Then, how fast was it spreading in the two countries when you administered the vaccine? How did the spread evolve as you carried out the vaccinations (it will take a while to jab 150m people), did any super spreading events occur during this time period that might muddy the comparison? Any changes in government restrictions? Etc. etc.

By the time you narrow it all down, the only country that could realistically serve as a control for Russia, is Russia. Get a bunch of Russians of all shapes and sizes, split the group in half, give half of them the vaccine, the other half salt water, let everyone go live similar lives, come back in a few months and compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

And all that only considers the vaccines impact on the C19 virus. What about side effects. How they present, in whom, under what circumstances and how seriously etc.

What Russia is doing is stupid. Plain and simple. It might work out for them, but if it does then it will be pure luck and not anything else. How many of us actually trust them to be accurate and honest about the success of this though?

20 years I've owned mobile phones. 20 years and I've never dropped one of them and broken the screen.....

Until tonight.

Feck it.

Hittin the beers on a Thursday night, mfc?

Hittin the beers on a Thursday night, mfc?

Unfortunately not!! Never had a phone with a broken screen before and it is killing me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I’m never sure if it’s that Bojo the clown just doesn’t get it. Or he doesn’t really care that what he’s saying, is obviously contradictory codswallop. Or possibly if I repeat a lie enough times people will believe it’s true.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/boris-johnson-over-my-dead-body-will-there-be-a-border-in-the-irish-sea-39449475.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

stephen_n wrote: »
    Or possibly if I repeat a lie enough times people will believe it’s true.

Well, we've seen that that's true in the UK and the US over the last few years.

It's worked for him so far, he's PM.

Why would he change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Well, we've seen that that's true in the UK and the US over the last few years.

It's worked for him so far, he's PM.

Why would he change?

Eventually it catches up to you, it has caught up to Trump at this stage. Mind you I think that Bobo will just blame anyone and everyone except himself, when there is a border either on this island or in the Irish Sea.

Advertisement