Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luck Penny Stories

• 07-08-2020 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

For as long as I remember, it’s always been a tradition to give/receive luck penny when selling/buying (I still have a lucky pound from selling my calf as a young one - communion money is long gone though). Do you give luck penny?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Always do when selling from home never to sure how much to give though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭893bet

Bought a mower last May. He delivered it. Didn’t take payment as there were a few bits missing. Finally came back with them last night and took payment by cheque and have a 40 quid luck penny.

Best 40 he ever spent as he has earned my trust and I will buy from him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Selling a lot more stock out of yard now always give a luck penny ,usually 20 euro .when I go to Mart no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Dunedin

893bet wrote: »
    Bought a mower last May. He delivered it. Didn’t take payment as there were a few bits missing. Finally came back with them last night and took payment by cheque and have a 40 quid luck penny.

Best 40 he ever spent as he has earned my trust and I will buy from him again.

Would always give a luck penny when selling at home. But not in mart (Albeit it’s about ten years since I sold in mart).

Wouldn’t necessary give or expect LP on machinery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭jimini0

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Always do when selling from home never to sure how much to give though.

A pound per hundred is what my grandfather told me. Now he did say something about old money but I didn't understand so he used current currency at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Take a few pound off the agreed price as luck penny here

Only on dairy stock though, nothing on bull calves. They go cheap enough with giving more off them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Always give luck money when selling and I make sure to include a rattle of silver (€1/€2 coins) as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Always give a few extra squares as luck when dealing with hay. If a customer takes a big load of rounds they get one as luck. I always get luck buying cattle. Never once have I bought and not get luck. Don't care how big or small the luck. Usually have the buckos with me and a stop for grub is made on the way home. They call it chips money. Id only be buying in twos and threes and its usually 10 or 20 quid. FIL God rest him bought 15 top u grade bullocks years ago. 1125 each. Got the cards in an envelope and a fiver stapled to it. Not being a man to mince his words. He looked at him and said well decare would ya leave yourself short anyway ya tight baxtard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Bought cattle off a dairy farmer once and he asked me for luck... I said lad it's the other way round that works needless to say he didn't dig into his pocket.

I'd always giv a luck the odd time I'd sell something here.

A large operator down here always called luck "apples from my own orchard"

Another chap bought dairy cows here about 25k of a cheque and got a 2 euro coin for luck. The seller says its not the amount but the luck that matters..... Sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Always give back 50 when I'm selling something but don't think I'll ever put anything up in donedeal again. Not worth the hassle.

Also give a tip to delivery drivers if they are coming with loads. If the drivers a grunt he gets nothing but if decent will always throw a tenner to him to get a few coffees.

Bought a tractor last yesr off a man and he said rather than give back something he put a 100 euros worth of diesel in the tank. I said grand thanks very much, when I checked when I got it there was f all in it. Hungry cnt. Took him 3 weeks to post in the tax book. Probably waiting for someone to give him a spare envelope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,908 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Not a luck penny but a thank you type payment. Often pulled a car out of a ditch or whatever and they'd give you a tenner or a pint the next night you see them. Jump started a van for a lad the other day and nothing, not even a thank you. Moved one of those big esb reels that was in a lads garden with the digger and nothing either. My time must be free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

I remember a man buying cattle from the grandfather (he was in his 70s), he gave him 5 pound luck back on two weanlings.
    When yer man was just leaving he meets the grandmother who asks if he got any luck and he says no, so she gives him another 5 pound.
    The truth came out later and the paperwork was held up as a result, it went on for months they had a few angry visits from the dealer who still refused to return the fiver even though the dept was hassling him.
    He eventually returned it, he was a stubborn man but not half as stubborn as who he was dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I always give a luck penny here when selling pedigree bulls. Usually use it as a sweetner when trying to close the deal. It's like "Give me X amount and I'll throw €20 in for luck".

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A man used to come here for years and buy a good number of feeding bulls. We would put up the dinner in the local hotel for himself, his wife and the work man that always accompanied him. When he paid on delivery we always gave him a rattle of luck as well. He is retired a few years but he was one of our best customers and sadly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭White Clover

Base price wrote: »
    A man used to come here for years and buy a good number of feeding bulls. We would put up the dinner in the local hotel for himself, his wife and the work man that always accompanied him. When he paid on delivery we always gave him a rattle of luck as well. He is retired a few years but he was one of our best customers and sadly missed.

Fair play, that's why he was a regular customer.
    I like that he brought his work man with him, shows he appreciated and respected him too. More would leave them at the farm slaving away at something on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I always give a luck penny here when selling pedigree bulls. Usually use it as a sweetner when trying to close the deal. It's like "Give me X amount and I'll throw €20 in for luck".

That's the way we do it too. Always like to see a customer happy, especially with the bulls as they're basically free advertising if they go well for them.
    In the mart I'd usually check in the office on who buys the cattle & if it's a decent price I'd go root them out around the ring & give them something.

Wouldn't expect it when buying something, so it's always a nice surprise to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

FIL has a luck jar in the house since he started farming more than 50 years ago. All luck money goes into or out of that jar and is never spent by him. The bottom half of it must be out of circulation with 40 years at this stage.
    He's semi retired now and said the jar will stay there till he passes on or all his luck will go with it.
    His son took over one of the farms this year and he has one started too.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Not farming. But bought a used car recently and seller tried giving me 50 back luck money. I refused it as the price was the price agreed. Hope that doesn't give either of us bad luck
    To be fair he was a young fella starting out and he had car in great nick. He earned keeping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Dunedin

whelan2 wrote: »
    Not a luck penny but a thank you type payment. Often pulled a car out of a ditch or whatever and they'd give you a tenner or a pint the next night you see them. Jump started a van for a lad the other day and nothing, not even a thank you. Moved one of those big esb reels that was in a lads garden with the digger and nothing either. My time must be free

I was on my first pint in the local a few years ago. Was only in about ten minutes when a fella came in and said a neighbour crashed up the road and would I get the tractor. Left my pint and went and got tractor and duly pulled yer man out.

He didn’t say thanks that night or ever since. Often met him in the pub over the years and never even got me a pint. It’s the first and last thing I think of when I meet him even to this day and it’s nearly 15 years ago now.

Funniest I heard was a guy that caught a load of mackerel. He had a full big bag and when he stopped off at nearest shop, the owner said he'd take them off him, as he didn't want them. On the way out , yer man grapped a litre of milk. The shop owner charged him for it.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Deagol

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    For as long as I remember, it’s always been a tradition to give/receive luck penny when selling/buying (I still have a lucky pound from selling my calf as a young one - communion money is long gone though). Do you give luck penny?

Not directly farming but I bought an old Peugout car off a man once from a newspaper advert, turned out to be Willie Daly the matchmaker - t'was one of his kids cars I think. Lovely fella, wouldn't let me leave the place though till he found a few pence for the luck penny - I hadn't seen in it in a long time as I moved away from country village to town - was nice to see it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Deagol wrote: »
    Not directly farming but I bought an old Peugout car off a man once from a newspaper advert, turned out to be Willie Daly the matchmaker - t'was one of his kids cars I think. Lovely fella, wouldn't let me leave the place though till he found a few pence for the luck penny - I hadn't seen in it in a long time as I moved away from country village to town - was nice to see it again :)

I thought you were going to say you got a wife as luck penny lol

Deagol wrote: »

Saw Willie Daly being interviewed by Grainne Seoige before about match making in Lisdoonvarna. He said they only needed Willie Daly up to about 9 O'Clock. After that they had Arthur Guinness.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    I thought you were going to say you got a wife as luck penny lol

Twud have been a costly car if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Firm believer of giving a bit of luck. I tend to deal with people a second time if they offer it. It’s a nice piece of old Irish culture.

Amazing the variations.
    Bought a bull for €2350 one time and got a tenner back in luck.

Bought two yearlings for €500 each and the lad gave €20 back and €5 to my two children.

A lad I buy straw off of brings his wife for the drive. He gives €20 back and she follows behind with €2 for every child she meets. There could be 5/6 depending if my brothers children are around.

Mind you, I never haggle with him and we always have a dinner for the two of them, he never brings crap straw.

My OH and I were at a salvage yard up north we happened upon. We bought a few bits, he threw an old carriage lamp for luck. Dad said thanks very much before we could say it was ours. Spent a few nights sitting in the dark sitting room enjoying the light from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I always give a bit even if if I sold stock in the mart and a local bought them I'd be sure to throw them a tenner. If I was after getting a nice touch for a bundle I'd give back 50. I won't spend any luck money I get with a beast while they are still on the farm. Have a few hundred from bulls and heifers I bought over the last few years hidden away. I like to get it but I'd never ask for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

I'd have no problem giving a man or woman a fifty if I get what I'm looking for when selling bulls from home but it bugs me when lads expect what I'd call big luck's penny when they already gotten a good deal.

I always give a bit even if if I sold stock in the mart and a local bought them I'd be sure to throw them a tenner. If I was after getting a nice touch for a bundle I'd give back 50. I won't spend any luck money I get with a beast while they are still on the farm. Have a few hundred from bulls and heifers I bought over the last few years hidden away. I like to get it but I'd never ask for it either.

That's gas. I never heard of the luck being linked to the money. I'd spend the money right away, no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

That's gas. I never heard of the luck being linked to the money. I'd spend the money right away, no bother.

Same as that. Always put it on the lotto is what I do with it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,908 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

dodo mommy wrote: »
    I'd have no problem giving a man or woman a fifty if I get what I'm looking for when selling bulls from home but it bugs me when lads expect what I'd call big luck's penny when they already gotten a good deal.

What's worse is a lad haggling over a deal and then not cashing the cheque. Lad came back to me last week with the cheque I gave him in july 2019 for hay

Advertisement