Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

it's slipping away from Pakistan, need to break this partnership quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Great day for Buttler. Especially given that Bairstow's plan to play for Yorkshire and score some handy runs failed this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

England win by 4 wickets, Pakistan had it, but lost it, what exactly does Azhar Ali do? Hasn't scored a run in ages, and a clueless captain, but then again is there a better alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I said literally as he was running up to Bowl, why would you have that gap in the slips? And then he edged it through for 4. It's a new ball, put your slips in or at least spread them out.

I have been very disappointed by Azhar Alis captaincy in the test and especially today. From Slips being too far back and not no close catchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,895 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Excellent Test match, didn't really see England even getting close after the first innings, or even with five down in the chase.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Shame Buttler wasn't not out at the end. Deserved to walk off with Woakes after that special innings. This England side have great spirit and never give up. Pakistan will be sick after this loss. Blew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭MFPM

Couldn't watch today, had to follow online. Great test match, always thought Pakistan would regret that second innings, they needed more runs to play around with. Good foundation built by Sibley and Root and then built upon by Butler and Woakes. Pakistan are a good team but they are inexperienced and that showed today, they dominated the vast bulk of the match but floundered at the crucial moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Hard to drop Woakes now if Stokes goes back to being an all rounder for the next test. Anderson's place in the team looks fairly uncertain, poor ol'Jimmy might not get his 600 the way he's playing now.

Anderson had a mixed game, some good spells and some poor ones. I would drop Archer before him. What's the point if he's not going to bowl like he can? Low to mid 80mph, Curran is much more effective in England and can bat. Wood deserves another chance if they want pace and he will give you pace. Superb in South Africa. If they want to rest Anderson, they have Robinson in the squad now, a like for like replacement. I wouldn't mind seeing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think Anderson would have been rested anyway for the 2nd test.

I would imagine the team will have very little patience on him in general when he is not getting wickets. He is an incredible sulk and would suck the life out of any dressing room when he is brooding.

• Advertisement

Archer is interesting, he was generally low to mid 80s but we've seen previously that he can get 90+, maybe he can't do it consistently, he can look quite disinterested at times but that might be just his personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Rory Burns had last laugh after the sledging incident at his dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,758 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Rory Burns had last laugh after the sledging incident at his dismissal.

Not exactly a very likable bunch of cricketers this Pakistani side... competitive, fine but some of the stuff we’ve seen, this, other instances of verbals and trying to use gamesmanship and ani-sporting carry on to slow down the game to achieve a result. Pakistani players need a new boot manufacturer too, one that can make boots that don’t need to be re-tied every 10 balls or so.

Stokes out of England squad for the rest of the summer due to family reasons.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/53712110

Big blow for England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

His father Ged was seriously ill around Christmas and recovered enough to get home but it looks like he's not doing well at all.

England could go with Sam Curran to get a similar replacement or just have Crawley replace him and keep the bowling as it is.

Sad about Stokes, I’d go with Curran, keep the balance of the side.

Strumms wrote: »
    Not exactly a very likable bunch of cricketers this Pakistani side... competitive, fine but some of the stuff we’ve seen, this, other instances of verbals and trying to use gamesmanship and ani-sporting carry on to slow down the game to achieve a result. Pakistani players need a new boot manufacturer too, one that can make boots that don’t need to be re-tied every 10 balls or so.

Stokes out of England squad for the rest of the summer due to family reasons.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/53712110

Big blow for England.

In fairness England are no angels either, Broad is right up there with the best in sledging teams and players.

MFPM wrote: »
    In fairness England are no angels either, Broad is right up there with the best in sledging teams and players.

I’ve no great issues with the odd word but it seems to be in between every over with Pakistan. Sledging is ok, but it’s just the regularity and the usage that they designed to slow down the game to increase the probability of a result that will suit them, it wasn’t mind games it was to try and draw the opposition into a conversation, to delay, same as the constant lace tying, that was a farce, shîtty anti sporting behavior.. That’s all ANTI sport...sorry I’m not having all that excused...I’m a sports fan, a cricket fan... if anybody or anything gets in the way of me being able to enjoy cricket, it’s fair game to be damming of it and whoever is responsible...Pakistan players.

Disappointing news about Stokes. Mustn't be good to have to leave in the middle of a series. He was playing as a batsman so Crawley will come back in. Bracey is there also, is Lawrence in the squad? That would be very tough on Crawley. Root back to no. 4 and rotate a bowler or two, Curran for Jimmy and Wood for Jofra.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Gillespy wrote: »
    Wood for Jofra.

Yes, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Strumms wrote: »
    I’ve no great issues with the odd word but it seems to be in between every over with Pakistan. Sledging is ok, but it’s just the regularity and the usage that they designed to slow down the game to increase the probability of a result that will suit them, it wasn’t mind games it was to try and draw the opposition into a conversation, to delay, same as the constant lace tying, that was a farce, shîtty anti sporting behavior.. That’s all ANTI sport...sorry I’m not having all that excused...I’m a sports fan, a cricket fan... if anybody or anything gets in the way of me being able to enjoy cricket, it’s fair game to be damming of it and whoever is responsible...Pakistan players.

Aye the test England won in the dark in Karachi was great payback for all the slow play nonsense! Even Bucknor had had enough!

• Advertisement

Great day for Buttler. Especially given that Bairstow's plan to play for Yorkshire and score some handy runs failed this morning!

He is 44* in the second innings, in other news Kent are 503-1. Not international news, but where else can I put it.

Hell of a partnership. Cox only 19 years old looks a good prospect.

Anderson on TMS insisting he is still hungry to play, has no intention of retiring but admits he must bowl better or it will be taken out of his hands. I think he deserves a send off like Cook got. Hopefully crowds will be back next summer for something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

2nd Test
    13 to 17 August - 11:00am
    England v Pakistan
    Venue: The Ageas Bowl, Southampton

The bookies have England as slight favourites

QpHKW6x.png

Not long between tests, we get going again on Thurs morning! The weather forecast does not look great!

rW5dXhF.png

Bairstow got 75 in the second innings, looks like a one day opener, 6 or 7 in tests, Buttler could be safe for another while after Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

in other news Kent are 503-1. Not international news, but where else can I put it.

After today's double-century plus a fantastic slip catch and a huge win, I suspect that Yorkshire reject Jack Leaming is very pleased to have joined Kent!

After today's double-century plus a fantastic slip catch and a huge win, I suspect that Yorkshire reject Jack Leaming is very pleased to have joined Kent!

Didn't know they had to declare after 120 overs, ended up 530-1, 2nd wicket stand of 423. Bad news about Ben Stokes dad, thought he was on the mend

As I mentioned earlier, Broad right up there with the best in terms of poor gamesmanship.
    England bowler Stuart Broad has been fined 15% of his match fee for using "inappropriate language" during the first Test against Pakistan.

The incident occurred during Pakistan's second innings on Saturday, after Broad dismissed leg-spinner Yasir Shah.

Broad has also been given one demerit point which takes his total to three in a 24-month period.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/53740667

Forecast still doesn’t look brilliant in terms of obtaining a result for either side, I was hoping for an improvement over the last day or two. Looking very mixed, a good few showers over the coming days, thunderstorms are forecast in fact several accompanied by heavy rain.

https://www.bbc.com/weather/2637487

Pakistan win toss and bat. England drop Archer for Curran, probably the right choice, Carwley back to replace Stokes.

Fawad Alam in for Pakistan - 1st test in 11 years!! He replaces Shadab.

• Advertisement

Masood out for 1...lbw Anderson.

Advertisement