Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

The nomination process for this one seems particularly flawed as it was based off members of the public nominating establishments as opposed to any grading or vetting to reach the popular vote. Wouldn't base a decision to support any business on an award as most of them are a total crock of s**t IMO

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Ludo wrote: »
    The one in the pic in the post you quoted ya daft twit :-)

Pic wasnt loading for me at all in that case on Firefox. I can see it fine now on mobile, oddly.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

But yea, appalling choices. The restaurant equivalent of when people say stuff like "liverpool and Newcastle are the best cities in the uk".

You've never been anywhere else, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't know Bob's but if you gave me vouchers for the others on the list, it's probable that I'd never even get around to using them - and I'm stingy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

All that list is missing is Cafe Mexicana to complete it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rob316 wrote: »
    All that list is missing is Cafe Mexicana to complete it.

4 Liars Bistro!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

4 Liars Bistro!!!

Is that place still open??? Remember eating there years ago with a living social or one of those vouchers. Twas alright like but I never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Last I heard is that it's changed hand & will be moving to middle eastern type cuisine, fine with me. Didn't hear any opening dates or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Saw it earlier and I thought WTF! What is the obsession with Il Padrinos? It’s not great and overly priced.

Same thing Cark people do with Lennoxes. Literally the worst chips I've had in the world (and I've been to the poorest country in the world) yet the locals would jump off a bridge for them. I feel sorry for tourists having to walk up the hill to eat that crap. All the 5 star reviews are from locals reminiscing about going down to Lennoxes with 20p from mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Be right back

Had brunch in the Good day deli. Very tasty.

• Advertisement

Same thing Cark people do with Lennoxes. Literally the worst chips I've had in the world (and I've been to the poorest country in the world) yet the locals would jump off a bridge for them. I feel sorry for tourists having to walk up the hill to eat that crap. All the 5 star reviews are from locals reminiscing about going down to Lennoxes with 20p from mammy.

I had Lennox takeaway last week, I hadn't been in months and everything was lovely including the chips, we used to be regulars but have changed to Dennys recently which I have to say is always lovely, they close at 9pm atm which caught us out last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Rfrip wrote: »
    Went to cornstore last night for their one for the road menu, booking for half ten.

First time out for dinner since February, god it felt like such a treat. I’m a fan of the cornstore anyway but was just so flippen good to be out.

Lot on menu and we could have ordered from al la carte too. Staff were so lovely too as were the cocktails. Would deffo recommend.

As a matter of interest was it busy there for that? Love the idea but havent been in, hope its going well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

It would not be unknown to get a bad bag of chips from lennoxes this time of the year. The spuds they regularly use can be in short supply and they can end up trying others which are usually worse, bit soggy no matter how well cooked.

The odd lad would move them through the 3 stages of fryers too quickly too, which can pose problems. The older lads keep an eye on it most of the time but it can still happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

bingo9999 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest was it busy there for that? Love the idea but havent been in, hope its going well

Yeah it was busy! But not jammers. I booked again for this Saturday and they said they were delighted with how it was going. It just felt like such a treat and bit of escapism that’s much needed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

opus wrote: »
    I'm quite partial to a Reuben sandwich so tried Sonnys around two weeks ago, didn't realise how busy it was so pretty much everything was sold out when I got there & queued for ten mins. Tried again today but went for an early lunch & plenty to choose from. The Reuben was very tasty & only had to wait a few mins but the queue was building as I was cycling away.

500825.jpg

Totally gratuitous food pic :)

500826.jpg

Was back at Sonnys for lunch today & the Ruben has changed to a large white roll with salted beef. Roll looks identical to one I got a the nearby Salt cafe two weeks ago in fact. Preferred the old personally but great to see it up & running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

opus wrote: »
    Was back at Sonnys for lunch today & the Ruben has changed to a large white roll with salted beef. Roll looks identical to one I got a the nearby Salt cafe two weeks ago in fact. Preferred the old personally but great to see it up & running again.

I keep meaning to go there. Must add it to my new WFH lunch treats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

Had a salad from The Sandwich Stall in The English Market today - wow it was delicious!!! And such good value for money... if I worked in the city centre I would happily have lunch from there every day - loads to choose from.. and staff wer v nice too - wow...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

sporina wrote: »
    Had a salad from The Sandwich Stall in The English Market today - wow it was delicious!!! And such good value for money... if I worked in the city centre I would happily have lunch from there every day - loads to choose from.. and staff wer v nice too - wow...

When i am in the office, i walk down there once or twice a week from the opposite end of town. Its more the sandwiches and wraps i get but they are always excellent ingredients, fresh and tasty.

Smoked Chicken Wrap would be my favorite from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Love the baguettes from there, but they go fast. When I worked in the city centre if you were any later than 1pm there wasn't much choice left.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

rob316 wrote: »
    Love the baguettes from there, but they go fast. When I worked in the city centre if you were any later than 1pm there wasn't much choice left.

Agreed. Cameron on Washington st is also very good - superb Caesar Wrap

• Advertisement

its now a Syrian restaurant apparently - something like Cafe Izz - as in middle eastern - cannot wait to try it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

its now a Syrian restaurant apparently - something like Cafe Izz - as in middle eastern - cannot wait to try it

Yeah saw that mentioned too, and really looking forward to trying too! Have you seen any contact info or opening hours anywhere? Would like to get some take home this evening for a picnic somewhere if possible.
    Google still shows the old place that was there....

Also, theres a Sri-Lankan place over on Pope's Quay - any reports?

RINO87 wrote: »
    Yeah saw that mentioned too, and really looking forward to trying too! Have you seen any contact info or opening hours anywhere? Would like to get some take home this evening for a picnic somewhere if possible.
    Google still shows the old place that was there....

Also, theres a Sri-Lankan place over on Pope's Quay - any reports?

its called Four Liars Restaurant.. its on FB - have a look..

Didn't know about the Sri Lankan place..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

They have put the menu up on FB

https://www.facebook.com/100828515057375/posts/120103683129858/?sfnsn=mo

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

its called Four Liars Restaurant.. its on FB - have a look..

Didn't know about the Sri Lankan place..

I posted a review a few pages back. Was good, would like to try again but haven't had a chance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That looks very good!

thanks - v big menu which usually rings alarm bells for me.. but all dishes seem to stem from roughly the same cloth (ish) so fingers crossed...

hope the flavour is as good as that from Izz

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Was at The Glass Curtin recently, food is very nice and the service was very good but its very expensive for what you get. Had a starter and main but was hungry again a couple hours later. You'd need to order sides and it's already quite expensive as is

It's also very loud inside, they had some options not listed on the menu but was very hard to hear what the waiter was saying when calling them out

The inside didn't feel too different from Son Of A Bun which is perfectly fine if its normal prices but for the prices paid it should be a small bit quieter/more comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

siblers wrote: »
    Was at The Glass Curtin recently, food is very nice and the service was very good but its very expensive for what you get. Had a starter and main but was hungry again a couple hours later. You'd need to order sides and it's already quite expensive as is

It's also very loud inside, they had some options not listed on the menu but was very hard to hear what the waiter was saying when calling them out

The inside didn't feel too different from Son Of A Bun which is perfectly fine if its normal prices but for the prices paid it should be a small bit quieter/more comfortable

Got their take away a few times during the lockdown and it was excellent value, particularly the veg option. Lovely too, disappointed they stopped, but understandable given the site doesn't look very big.

• Advertisement

Samhain wrote: »
    Tried the new Sri Lankan Curry pot place on Popes quay for delivery last night. https://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-curry-pot-city-centre Very good quality and decent portion sizes. The starters of tuna pattys and fried chicken pieces were particularly good. I ordered the kottu but it wasnt available so got the deviled beef instead which was basically like a stir fry but tasty all the same. They threw in two really good homemade chocolate brownies for the trouble which was a nice touch. Will definitely order again, hopefully they will have to kottu back on the menu next time.

what was in this premises previously?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement