Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona Virus and licence applications

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Sub application handed in on 17-06-2020. Received new licence this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 burtner

Do You have to pay another €80 for a sub or is it an amended cert with original expiry date on it !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

burtner wrote: »
    Do You have to pay another €80 for a sub or is it an amended cert with original expiry date on it !

No charge.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

burtner wrote: »
    As Rows Grower said there is no charge and it is the new licence that arrives and not a grant letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Renewal dropped in there yesterday, hopefully wont be too long until i get it back:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Fx Royale

Handed in 2 subs Monday 29th license in post yesterday morning big change from the 4 months last license

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Handed in substitute application 20 days ago, got call off FO a week later to confirm a few details got the licence in the post Wednesday.

Delighted with my first semi automatic, fun will be had.

What did you buy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

Licence arrived just now so 1 month exactly from handing in the form.

(New Application)

Im happy with that!!!

Rathfarnham district, but Tallaght has to sign it off.

Renewal back today couldn't believe it ðŸ˜, happy days a week turnaround

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

Put in a new licence last month and got granted in 12 days, so I had another purchase and put that new application in two weeks ago.

Had a phone call from a member of the Gardaí last Monday to explain to them that .30 06 does exist as a calibre and is on their system, despite several protests until I gave the Garda a pulse number with a .30 06 calibre firearm I already have.

Lets wait and see watch this space...

Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 burtner

Put application in on Saturday 18th evening, got call today 20th at 11.00AM ! few questions and processed ! Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Handed in a sub a month ago.

No word since.

Getting hold of FO is harder than finding hens teeth.

Just want to ensure it was received and being processed.

Did I read before you can ring Firearms Policy Units (think that’s name) and they can tell you if in process?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Handed in a sub a month ago.

No word since.

Getting hold of FO is harder than finding hens teeth.

Just want to ensure it was received and being processed.

Did I read before you can ring Firearms Policy Units (think that’s name) and they can tell you if in process?

Thanks

Anyone know Where are the licences issued (printed) from?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

As far as i'm aware they are printed in Blackrock in Dublin. That's where my last two licences came from and I don't live in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭no_4

it seems like there are big differences in times for certs around the country - quick question as i am new to shooting
    i have a 12g o/u on my first licence, if i go for a second gun do i make a brand new application and is it as slow as for your first application for a licence
    also , are you allowed up to 3 guns before the Gardai insist on monitord house alarm, cctv etc ? or does it depend on the local FO / super?

thanks

i see the guidelines on home page, am i correct that 2 12g o/u shotuns and say 12 g semi auto shotgun (limited to 2+1 carts) would not be classed as restricted firearms and so can be stored in a 3 gun safe at home ? thanks

no_4 wrote: »
    i see the guidelines on home page, am i correct that 2 12g o/u shotuns and say 12 g semi auto shotgun (limited to 2+1 carts) would not be classed as restricted firearms and so can be stored in a 3 gun safe at home ? thanks

Yes as long as the shotgun is limited and doesn't have a pistol grip or telescopic stock
    Its only once you go to 6 or more guns a monitored alarm is required a regular alarm will do before that off ebay or the likes in the room the guns are stored in
    Read SI/307

Cass has awnsered this question on numerous occasions in much better detail if you search through the forum and have a read

thanks Uinseann, i always get totally confused reading legal texts like the SI docs! mine are fine so, standard stocks and grips

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Submitted a Sub application for a new Rizzini this morning. Lets see how long it takes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

I saw a grant letter this morning for an first time application for a pistol granted....it was submitted 3 weeks ago last Monday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Max H

just submitted a application for a .22 PCP and Moderator this morning, the wait begins.

So far i have had 3 weeks for a U/O 12 gauge
    and 8 weeks for a S/A 12 gauge

Im 8 months into a new application:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Max H

Im 8 months into a new application:pac:

Well technically after 3 months its a refusal!!!

Max H wrote: »
    Well technically after 3 months its a refusal!!!

Im well aware :pac: that was in a letter 4 months back to them:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

i have a 12g o/u on my first licence, if i go for a second gun do i make a brand new application
    Yes. Every gun needs a new application.
    and is it as slow as for your first application for a licence
    Hopefully not as your previous background checks will stand to future applications.
    also , are you allowed up to 3 guns before the Gardai insist on monitord house alarm, cctv etc ? or does it depend on the local FO / super?
    The secure accomodations SI states the minimum conditions. This is important because the Super could demand you have level four security for a single shotgun if s/he deems it necessary.

However as minimums they are all you need i order to comply with the SI and any further security features above those miniums will be subject to the criteria laid out by your Super.

The SI as it stands says:
    • One non-restricted shot-gun - The shot-gun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and separately when not in use. The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock.
    • One restricted firearm or three or fewer non-restricted firearms - Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.
    • Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms. - Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.
    • Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place. - In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Síochána.The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.
    i see the guidelines on home page, am i correct that 2 12g o/u shotguns and say 12 g semi auto shotgun (limited to 2+1 carts) would not be classed as restricted firearms and so can be stored in a 3 gun safe at home ? thanks
    Yes.

If you go for the second firearm you'll need the safe and that is the minimum requirement needed. However as said above the Super may deem your neighbourhood to be unsafe or some other factor and demand a higher level of security however you do nothing bar the minimum until the Super says different.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

Anyone ever get more than one visit from the Crime Prevention Officer?
    Had a visit 2 years ago to inspect the safe after a .223 application, all went well.

Applied for a substitution 3 weeks ago and have been contacted by a new Firearms officer saying my application is being processed and hes asking the Crime Prevention Officer to come inspect my safe.. surely there is proof from the previous visit that It is up to standard.

Of course I was quick to to tell him i already had an inspection, still awaiting a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

GolfVI wrote: »
    Anyone ever get more than one visit from the Crime Prevention Officer?
    Had a visit 2 years ago to inspect the safe after a .223 application, all went well.

Applied for a substitution 3 weeks ago and have been contacted by a new Firearms officer saying my application is being processed and hes asking the Crime Prevention Officer to come inspect my safe.. surely there is proof from the previous visit that It is up to standard.

Of course I was quick to to tell him i already had an inspection, still awaiting a reply.

I've had two visits from my local Crime Prevention Officer. Nice guy. Gave advice re: alarms etc. Did his best to rip my two gun safes off the wall but he was happy enough they were secure. :D

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I've had two visits from my local Crime Prevention Officer. Nice guy. Gave advice re: alarms etc. Did his best to rip my two gun safes off the wall but he was happy enough they were secure. :D

It's a painless process. Show him your house, your windows, doors and safe. And if it's a requirement that you have an alarm, he'll inspect that too.

How far apart were the visits? I had one approx 18 months ago and now the new firearms officer is looking for another

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

GolfVI wrote: »
    How far apart were the visits? I had one approx 18 months ago and now the new firearms officer is looking for another

Ah, it was probably 3 or 4 years apart. I'd hazard a guess that the CPO won't call out again so soon.

One thing I always do when I'm applying/renewing is to send in photos of the safes with the application. I haven't had anyone question anything since I started doing that.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Ah, it was probably 3 or 4 years apart. I'd hazard a guess that the CPO won't call out again so soon.

One thing I always do when I'm applying/renewing is to send in photos of the safes with the application. I haven't had anyone question anything since I started doing that.

I was thinking the same, heres me thinking id have the license in the door sometime this week, another delay unfortunately

Advertisement