Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nest Thermostat Question

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

PCros wrote: »
    So two questions from the last few posts...

2) @punisher5112 - What advantages does having two Nest's if the house is not zoned?

TIA

This ones simple. Dont need to wait for Punisher! If the house isn't zoned, you can't have two nests. No reason for it. Doesnt work that way.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

PCros wrote: »
    So two questions from the last few posts...

1) @Black_Knight - Why were you trying to heat a cold room upstairs when your house isn't zoned? Apologies if I'm reading it wrong...

2) @punisher5112 - What advantages does having two Nest's if the house is not zoned?

TIA

Correct. Living room was warm enough because we were in it mostly, but other rooms (bedroom for example) cooled down quicker so we wanted to "boost" their temperature.

peteb2 wrote: »
    This ones simple. Dont need to wait for Punisher! If the house isn't zoned, you can't have two nests. No reason for it. Doesnt work that way.

The system I put together allows me to select which temperature sensor to base my heating off of. So during the day it's based on the living room, during the night it's based on the bedroom. Best of all worlds

• Registered Users Posts: 23,250 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The system I put together allows me to select which temperature sensor to base my heating off of. So during the day it's based on the living room, during the night it's based on the bedroom. Best of all worlds

Nest does effectively that, you just set the temperature to what you want it at night.

ted1 wrote: »
    Nest does effectively that, you just set the temperature to what you want it at night.

But basing the heating off of a room I'm not sleeping in (and thus contributing warmth to) isn't useful.

This thread has really derailed. I'm happy with my decision. I was just informing the op of my experience with the nest thermostat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

We use Nest with learning mode off, geo fencing off.

The benefit of it is that we can control heating & water via the App, and set flexible schedules.

Questions I have based on schedule usage, learning mode disabled:
    - If I have it set to 19 degrees at 9am, does that mean it comes on at 9am and heats to/maintains 19 degrees until it hits the next schedule? Or does it mean it comes on at a time to attempt to be 19 degrees at 9am
    - Similar for "off time", if I have heating on from 5pm to 9pm at 20 degrees, so at 9pm it is set to 9 degrees, should it be aiming to keep temp at 20 degrees until 9pm, at which time it turns off?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,250 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We use Nest with learning mode off, geo fencing off.

The benefit of it is that we can control heating & water via the App, and set flexible schedules.

Questions I have based on schedule usage, learning mode disabled:
    - If I have it set to 19 degrees at 9am, does that mean it comes on at 9am and heats to/maintains 19 degrees until it hits the next schedule? Or does it mean it comes on at a time to attempt to be 19 degrees at 9am
    - Similar for "off time", if I have heating on from 5pm to 9pm at 20 degrees, so at 9pm it is set to 9 degrees, should it be aiming to keep temp at 20 degrees until 9pm, at which time it turns off?

If you set to 19c at 9am. That means you want it to be 19c @9am. So the NEST will have learned how long it takes to heat your house from x degrees and will turn on your heating at a time that ensures it’s at 19c for 9am

ted1 wrote: »
    If you set to 19c at 9am. That means you want it to be 19c @9am. So the NEST will have learned how long it takes to heat your house from x degrees and will turn on your heating at a time that ensures it’s at 19c for 9am

Thanks. Even with learning mode off?

Does that mean it turns off early too?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It maintains the temperature as long as you ask it to. It will turn off once it hits the temperature you want but it will come on as it needs to to keep it at that temp for the period specified. Keeping the house at 20 degrees for 5 hours might only have the oil on for 90 minutes overall for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

Yes, even with learning mode off. That's the "smart" part of smart thermostat. Otherwise it's just a timer. The "learning" refers to the schedule. If you have a schedule set, but you always turn the temperature to 20C at 7am each morning it will learn that and add it to the schedule.

R

• Advertisement

Nest was unplugged by the kids. Hasn't automatically reconnected to the WiFi.

When I scroll to Settings it confirms Internet Disconnected. I go into settings and try to click Network, but it doesn't click into it. Says Not Connected and Low Battery. Anyone any ideas how I reconnect when I canr access Network menu item?

Is it normal that it doesn't reconnect automatically? Seems a really bad system design if so.

Low battery nest shuts down wifi. Plug it back in, wait a while. Should reconnect as far as I remember.

Point 5 here:
    https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9243422?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en
    If your thermostat’s battery level is low, it will disconnect from Wi-Fi. This is to conserve power so it can continue controlling your system.

Thanks Black Night.

It's a pretty crap system design that doesn't reconnect within a few minutes when on mains. And no way to override to force it to connect.

Wife not happy, was due to wash hair firs thing!!

Found this in the FAQ:

"If your thermostat’s battery level is low, it will disconnect from Wi-Fi. This is to conserve power so it can continue controlling your system."

Really not very well thought out. When it is on mains it should always be able to be online. Battery should not come into it. Otherwise it just doesn't work, it loses date/time having been off, so it doesn't control the system at all, and you cant connect it to the system because it is offline.

Just having a rant! It reconnected, about 70 mins after being plugged back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

For anyone who has got the Nest Thermostat from Electric Ireland has it been possible to get it and not have them install it? Looking to get it but not ready for an install straight away, have a friend who will be in a position to install it when we're ready.

I know people will just say wait until EI can do it but looking to just get hold of the unit and then have it installed when it suits us and not having to deal with an engineer visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

kmart6 wrote:
    For anyone who has got the Nest Thermostat from Electric Ireland has it been possible to get it and not have them install it? Looking to get it but not ready for an install straight away, have a friend who will be in a position to install it when we're ready.

Just ask. They shouldn't care too much. They only install like for like and just left ours plugged into the wall after connecting the units to the boiler.

Was just trying to see over the weekend here if anyone had experience with it.

Had time to reach out to them via web chat today and the answer I got was if they didn't install it the warranty would be void :rolleyes: so need to ring them to bottom it out fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Genghis

kmart6 wrote: »

I know people will just say wait until EI can do it but looking to just get hold of the unit and then have it installed when it suits us and not having to deal with an engineer visit.

Was in the same scenario a few months back. You might have better luck than me, but under no circumstance would they do this for me. I asked at the time of ordering, I also asked the installer.

In fact the installer called to me, discovered the electrician had not left everything 100% right, and took the Mini away with him until he came back a few weeks later to complete. The Electrician offered him to leave the Nest to him.

Installer told me its part of their contract - I think they need to show the job signed for and photographed, by certified installer, etc.

Think it could be something to do with them needing the proof of install to be able to make the claim for whatever grant is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Let them fit, if you need to move or whatever do after, makes little difference

• Advertisement
Advertisement