Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Too old for us :D

+ there are Leinster boys over the 3 provinces in Madigan and Carbery, we can do without this ;)

Back to subject, 3 OH with our starter maybe absent half of the season and the other 2 U23, that's the only position I see us fragile. The others are ok, full of promising though slightly experienced players (Wootton and Arnold know what European games are, after all)

https://inpho.ie/cache/inpho/bd/4e/01/6455c2e65abf6ccd4bee4df38625be4d0e78164da1/INPHO_01714130.jpg

Can someone spot me the 2 guys behind Dean, to be sure?

By the way, so good to see everyone back to training contact

Just missing Farrell, Robb, Porch, and Gallagher from the potential 23 in the 23rd of August, as I can observe...
    Not sure about Marmion and Healy on background

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭degzs

Is there any friendly matches coming up and are spectators allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

degzs wrote: »
    Is there any friendly matches coming up and are spectators allowed?
    Connacht are playing the pro14 games in Aviva in two and three weeks time. they'll have internal behind closed doors games before that and after that we dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

connachta wrote: »
    https://inpho.ie/cache/inpho/bd/4e/01/6455c2e65abf6ccd4bee4df38625be4d0e78164da1/INPHO_01714130.jpg

Can someone spot me the 2 guys behind Dean, to be sure?

By the way, so good to see everyone back to training contact

Just missing Farrell, Robb, Porch, and Gallagher from the potential 23 in the 23rd of August, as I can observe...
    Not sure about Marmion and Healy on background

I think Jack Aungier is on the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think Jack Aungier is on the right.

Aungier on the right, and I think it could be Cian Prendergast on the left, whoever it is has lifting blocks strapped on their legs anyways in other photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

It's Prendergast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    So prendergast, de buitlear and mcnulty are the only academy players pictured training with the senior squad?

Wegians89 wrote: »
    So prendergast, de buitlear and mcnulty are the only academy players pictured training with the senior squad?

Indeed where are SOB 2.0 Tierney-Martin and Booth, the 3 others to watch for senior squad cover this season...

But it's true it's logical for now :
    a lock because Roux and Dowling are out for August
    2 back-3 as Fitzgerald and O'Donnell might not be fully available until November

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

are we just going to act like Oisin McCormack wasn’t training with the seniors too or do the so called fans need the inpho photographers to put names on every player so we can recognise them. Find it tough to watch people make predictions of young players/criticise them when you don’t know what they look like never mind having seen them play. Also McCormack > booth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    I'd say it's more likely people just didn't notice, no need for an ott reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    Lucas44 wrote: »
    are we just going to act like Oisin McCormack wasn’t training with the seniors too or do the so called fans need the inpho photographers to put names on every player so we can recognise them. Find it tough to watch people make predictions of young players/criticise them when you don’t know what they look like never mind having seen them play. Also McCormack > booth

Sorry, hi! I'm a 'so called fan'. Could you give more info on Oisín McCormack there? Thanks..

macslash wrote: »
    Sorry, hi! I'm a 'so called fan'. Could you give more info on Oisín McCormack there? Thanks..

You’re not a real fan unless you examine all training photos with a magnifying glass and can instantly recognise all of the teenagers in the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

McCormack > Booth is all you need to know if you are a real fan.....

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    McCormack > Booth is all you need to know if you are a real fan.....

I'd naturally trust the guy already from a Top club academy with appearences in Championship...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

You've got a Friend in me
    Is that you Oisin?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    You’re not a real fan unless you examine all training photos with a magnifying glass and can instantly recognise all of the teenagers in the academy.

Your not really a real fan unless you pray to your statue of john muldoon every morning, dress only club gear at least 5 years old and have a spot in the college end cause the clan is full of "not real" fans and you wish it was back to days you could bring your dogs in.:pac::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Tbh Lucas44 has a great knowledge of the club and underage game on Connacht, I’ve often asked him about different underage players. Unfortunately for the majority of fans I’d say the Irish u20s and possibly for locals the eagles, would be the first time you could really see how the underage players are getting on.

First day of squad training for Papali'i! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭macslash

Mul, it's over
    freyners wrote: »
    Your not really a real fan unless you pray to your statue of john muldoon every morning, dress only club gear at least 5 years old and have a spot in the college end cause the clan is full of "not real" fans and you wish it was back to days you could bring your dogs in.:pac::cool:

I actually have my usual spot in the college end 😂

But in all seriousness re. McCormack. Is he a local lad or what? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I actually have my usual spot in the college end ��

Yes local. Ballinasloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Former Coach

Mul, it's over
    Yes local. Ballinasloe.

His father, Peter, was an excellent GAA (Athlone) and rugby (Buccaneers) player.

His father, Peter, was an excellent GAA (Athlone) and rugby (Buccaneers) player.

His brother, Eoin, played for Galway United for a couple of seasons too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

The Friend Zone
    I actually have my usual spot in the college end ��

Likewise, not because of a real fan test, my dad is a ST holder as well and he prefers watching games from that angle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭theVersatile

While McCormack is good from what I've seen in Connacht underage and Irish schools; it's a bit outlandish to say with certainty that he's better than Booth who played Irish U20 as an U19 (a feat McCormack did not achieve, mind maybe he could have had a World Championship gone ahead). Be interesting to see what he's like post knee injury though and I'm sure McCormack will develop into a fine player.

Edit: Can someone post a recent picture of McCormack if theres one of him with the seniors, last I saw he was still on the light side and I'd be interested in seeing what his current build is.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

While McCormack is good from what I've seen in Connacht underage and Irish schools; it's a bit outlandish to say with certainty that he's better than Booth who played Irish U20 as an U19 (a feat McCormack did not achieve, mind maybe he could have had a World Championship gone ahead). Be interesting to see what he's like post knee injury though and I'm sure McCormack will develop into a fine player.

Edit: Can someone post a recent picture of McCormack if theres one of him with the seniors, last I saw he was still on the light side and I'd be interested in seeing what his current build is.

Don’t really think it’s outlandish to say. Played Irish schools in 2018 after two years starting for Connacht u18& 19s (albeit missed his second year for 19s with acl) started most games at 7 For schools and was one of there best players. Then probably 2-3 months later was on standby/injury reserve for the jwc squad while doing his leaving cert as an u18 player ( the onebooth was involved in).. tore his acl shortly after and missed out on last years six nations squad/Irish 19s... would of made the jwc squad if not for covid not sure if he would of started but would of been involved.. maybe I was a little over the top but just think a lot of posters seem to know a lot about the external players that come and join the academy from abroad or other provinces and often seem to overlook the local lads right infront of there eyes

Picture from last week
    https://inpho.ie/media/p41DreqEtQSK-A8rBxh5ZQ..a?ts=YcNwtuU6AC8ODYhsphqUpq_K1DDU1x-5yq23bF6nJ_w.a

https://inpho.ie/media/15JUyKLUjLu-UVDH1O1nGw..a?ts=yZ-DBzEzzj762n52helJQW8K9xIjPaXvPXDw8R100NQ.a

https://inpho.ie/media/RYnT6dy-eTNYewso0Aacng..a?ts=_YwRsPDq7o_o6328yueicGdNbExFTRIWFciJ5XRdBAA.a

https://inpho.ie/media/3kw8RcbPIo6O8yT_NvKAww..a?ts=Ms9_MfZmqy_7TX4RMz5qFHc1DRFuwtQMAUmSs-C5wsc.a

probably between himself, debuitlear, Jennings and mcnulty given our lack of depth for breakthrough player from academy this year imo having seen all the academy players play ail recently. Think a lot of people will be dissapointed with dtm not reaching there expectations, had a great u20 campaign but having seen him play ail don’t quite think he will be as good as people think (think it’s reflected in not getting a development deal, him and adamson more or less fighting it out head to head for that dev deal this year)

Don’t really think it’s outlandish to say. Played Irish schools in 2018 after two years starting for Connacht u18& 19s (albeit missed his second year for 19s with acl) started most games at 7 For schools and was one of there best players. Then probably 2-3 months later was on standby/injury reserve for the jwc squad while doing his leaving cert as an u18 player ( the onebooth was involved in).. tore his acl shortly after and missed out on last years six nations squad/Irish 19s... would of made the jwc squad if not for covid not sure if he would of started but would of been involved.. maybe I was a little over the top but just think a lot of posters seem to know a lot about the external players that come and join the academy from abroad or other provinces and often seem to overlook the local lads right infront of there eyes

Picture from last week
    https://inpho.ie/media/p41DreqEtQSK-A8rBxh5ZQ..a?ts=YcNwtuU6AC8ODYhsphqUpq_K1DDU1x-5yq23bF6nJ_w.a

https://inpho.ie/media/15JUyKLUjLu-UVDH1O1nGw..a?ts=yZ-DBzEzzj762n52helJQW8K9xIjPaXvPXDw8R100NQ.a

https://inpho.ie/media/RYnT6dy-eTNYewso0Aacng..a?ts=_YwRsPDq7o_o6328yueicGdNbExFTRIWFciJ5XRdBAA.a

https://inpho.ie/media/3kw8RcbPIo6O8yT_NvKAww..a?ts=Ms9_MfZmqy_7TX4RMz5qFHc1DRFuwtQMAUmSs-C5wsc.a

probably between himself, debuitlear, Jennings and mcnulty given our lack of depth for breakthrough player from academy this year imo having seen all the academy players play ail recently. Think a lot of people will be dissapointed with dtm not reaching there expectations, had a great u20 campaign but having seen him play ail don’t quite think he will be as good as people think (think it’s reflected in not getting a development deal, him and adamson more or less fighting it out head to head for that dev deal this year)

Hope you're right about Oisin. :)

You'd say I'm obsessed but he's nowhere near a Senior corpulence for 7 as he is now

Agree on DTM unfortunately, but hopefully we are both wrong. The fact that we are only carrying three senior hookers this year seems to indicate the coaches have some faith in either himself or Adamson. Also, a couple of months ago you said deBuitléar was lucky to be kept on, and now you're tipping him to be our breakthrough academy player this year?

+ a 20 y.o hooker has years to develop.
    If there's a positon you shouldn't be judged too early, it's n°2
    First choice for us was a flanker at this age..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

So, folk of the Wild West. At this stage, what team do you think will line out against the Northern Horde?

• Advertisement

So, folk of the Wild West. At this stage, what team do you think will line out against the Northern Horde?

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Dave Heffernan
    3. Finlay Bealham
    4. Ultan Dillane
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Eoghan Masterson
    7. Jarrad Butler
    8. Paul Boyle
    9. Kieran Marmion
    10. Jack Carty
    11. Matt Healy
    12. Bundee Aki
    13. Tom Farrell
    14. John Porch
    15. Tiernan O’Halloran

Paddy McAllister, Caolin Blade, and Sam Arnold all have a decent shot at starting too imo. Plus there’s always the potential for a surprise like Cillian Gallagher at 6 or maybe Wootton on the wing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement