Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardeners World

• 05-06-2020 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Just thought I’d start a thread for all things related to Gardeners World :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Noooooo! Nigel!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭standardg60

One of the first gardening books i bought (along with my Hilliers bible), was The complete first time gardener by Geoff Hamilton.
    Some of the hard landscaping techniques have been superseded nowadays but his design and planting schemes have stood the test of time. He was so wonderfully old school, a different generation of gardener, i still remember where i was when i heard the news of his death.

If you miss it there is a user on youtube called TigerTiger that uploads them in HD the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

kylith wrote: »
    Noooooo! Nigel!!!!

Poor Nige, there’s definitely an air of emptiness still lingering since he’s gone. He’ll never be forgotten but that Patty has potential to be a rascal! Terriers and digging go hand in hand!
    One of the first gardening books i bought (along with my Hilliers bible), was The complete first time gardener by Geoff Hamilton.

Geoff was before my time but I have heard so much about his influence! One Gardeners World book on my wishlist is the Gardeners World Veg Growers Almanac.

I loved Monty’s idea of the berry boarder tonight. But my god I thought my soil was bad, that’s some serious clay he has! I’ve often joked that if gardening doesn’t work out for me that I should go into the pottery business but I think he’d beat me to it :D

I also loved the mass effect of the alliums in the Jewel Garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

If you miss it there is a user on youtube called TigerTiger that uploads them in HD the following day.

It’s great catching up with the upload from tiger tiger. Very doubtful I get to watch it on bbc2 as it’s all normally mad in my house at that time with kids.

Very tranquil when I get to watch it though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we just watched one which was recorded a few weeks ago. it was the nigel episode. my wife barely made it through the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Tiger tiger hasnt uploaded in couple of weeks unfortunately. Browsing YouTube now and all current versions are choppy and unwatchable. Any other way to watch it?

To answer my own question. There's a great site called hdclump. Youl find gardeners world along with other gardening programmes there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Tiger tiger hasnt uploaded in couple of weeks unfortunately. Browsing YouTube now and all current versions are choppy and unwatchable. Any other way to watch it?

To answer my own question. There's a great site called hdclump. Youl find gardeners world along with other gardening programmes there

Repeated tomorrow morning 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Poor Nige, there’s definitely an air of emptiness still lingering since he’s gone. He’ll never be forgotten but that Patty has potential to be a rascal! Terriers and digging go hand in hand!

Tell me about it! I used to have a Cairn X that trained herself to dig when I pointed. Very useful when planting bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭finla

But my god I thought my soil was bad, that’s some serious clay he has! I’ve often joked that if gardening doesn’t work out for me that I should go into the pottery business but I think he’d beat me to it :D!

I was thinking the same thing. My soil is like his, I'm delighted to see him planting stuff in it. Gives me hope that I can grow so much more than I thought:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

finla wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing. My soil is like his, I'm delighted to see him planting stuff in it. Gives me hope that I can grow so much more than I thought:)

Oh for that potting shed!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

we just watched one which was recorded a few weeks ago. it was the nigel episode. my wife barely made it through the end.
    We get our TV via a sattelite system and are using Freesat, the UK version of Saorview. We can record TV series automatically and have been watching and recording Gardeners' World but are about five weeks behind. We should really be watching the programs up to date, to get the best benefit from them.
    Unfortunately, some of the above posts have been big bad spoilers so I don't want to come back to this thread until I catch up:confused:

Sorry Hocus Focus, I never thought of putting a spoiler alert on the first post! Not able to edit it now, maybe a mod could for future?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

We get our TV via a sattelite system and are using Freesat, the UK version of Saorview. We can record TV series automatically and have been watching and recording Gardeners' World but are about five weeks behind. We should really be watching the programs up to date, to get the best benefit from them.

I've a habit of doing the same and it's really pointless. Watching a programme from March isn't of any use at all in mid May etc It's one programme that doesn't age well in that sense. :(

Did a binge watch over 2 days though and am up to speed now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Sorry Hocus Focus, I never thought of putting a spoiler alert on the first post!
    to be fair, gardener's world is not exactly the sort of program which needs a spolier alert?
    rachel de thame's peas nearly all died on her recently too.

True not many riveting plot twists with Monty :pac:

But still I didn’t mean to spoil it for anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I've seen it now (sniff,sniff) :)

I loved Chris Mills’ vegetable garden tonight, beautiful beds, the idea of the ‘hot box’ is something I might steal. What a beautiful setting too, down by a picturesque river and you can hear pheasants in the background, just idyllic!

The piece Frances Tophill did with Dave Goulson tonight made the hairs on the back of my neck stand....according to a study in Germany there’s been a 75% drop in flying insects in the last 26 years. Horrifying to think of the future :eek:

have you read his books? if not, they're well worth a read. he seems like such a decent chap too.

• Advertisement

No I haven’t unfortunately, he seems fascinating but to be honest sometimes I’d rather not know what’s happening with our world/climate, it’s all too frightening in my opinion. I do my best for wildlife in my little bit of garden and then I do my best ostrich impression and bury my head in the sand away from these frightening statistics!

I thought the mass effect of the wild marjoram in Monty’s herb garden was stunning tonight, food for thought, I have a few plants but never thought of using them like that. I see a garden redesign coming on for next summer, if I could just see through one plan before I moved on to another :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Little Miss Fairy

I’m distracted by Monty’s dogs every week ... they are gorgeous! It’s a great TV programme even for a novice like me.

I love his doggies, Pattie is growing on me, I’ve always wanted to add a yorkie to my little collection but not in this current climate of inflated prices and dognappings unfortunately.

I definitely consider myself a novice even though I’ve been trying unsuccessfully to garden for over 15years. Monty has definitely taught me an awful lot! You learn from your mistakes, I’m bound to be an expert soon :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Little Miss Fairy

Enjoyed the feature on Aberglasney gardens.

I thought Monty’s ‘Lime Walk’ was beautiful this evening, so simple with the trees and ferns underplanted. And his Globe thistles looked amazing! Mine always look so ragged and miserable I wonder what his secret is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Oh holy moly :0 poor Nellie! Let's hope she makes a full recovery!

Monty seems to be off an awful lot this year, hope he’s ok! I have a sneaking suspicion that Adam is being primed to take the reins when Monty decides to step down.

And what I wouldn’t do for Elizabeth’s green house! But knowing me, it would be instagramable for about a week before everything would run wild 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Monty seems to be off an awful lot this year, hope he’s ok! I have a sneaking suspicion that Adam is being primed to take the reins when Monty decides to step down.

It's always a bit disappointing when no Monty

Advertisement