Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 14 (FFXIV)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Picked this up free on PSN, cant play until Squeenix remind me of my ID :D

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Patch day Tuesday :)

I had to RMA my GPU... stuck on PS4 for the time being :( Need to fix up my HUD before Tuesday so I can actually see wtf on the 24 main raid cause I am a healy boi.

I've been levelling BLM recently. I think it's the only class which solves my issue with this game (and any MMO) where attacks can actually have a sense of impact, it's also a class which has a half decent rotation at levels 60 and 70 (braindead up to level 50 but it always was)

Just a very cool feeling of power weaving in ley lines after transition to fire from ice and spamming huge explosions at things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Patch day Tuesday :)

I had to RMA my GPU... stuck on PS4 for the time being :( Need to fix up my HUD before Tuesday so I can actually see wtf on the 24 main raid cause I am a healy boi.

I've been levelling BLM recently. I think it's the only class which solves my issue with this game (and any MMO) where attacks can actually have a sense of impact, it's also a class which has a half decent rotation at levels 60 and 70 (braindead up to level 50 but it always was)

Just a very cool feeling of power weaving in ley lines after transition to fire from ice and spamming huge explosions at things.

At 80 BLM is a dream to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lucky Jack

Thinking about jumping into FFXIV on a free trial basis to see how I get on. I've never managed to get into an MMO, but having said that WoW is the only one I've ever really tried.

Having been penniless and dial-up based when it launched I never stuck with it, and since then any time I've dipped in I've always felt that the story has just left me behind (and yes, I'm one of those guys who likes games chiefly for the story/lore, with other stuff being secondary).

With all the praise garnered by FFXIV for its story in particular, I thought I might give it a shot especially as the free trial is so generous now. Before I pull the trigger, I've a couple of questions I'd appreciate some advice on:

(1) Firstly, any advice on server choice, or will I be pretty much good to go on any of the European options?

(2) As everyone knows, retail WoW's story is all over the place by now, though I know some of the Shadowlands changes have made it easier to experience it expansion-by-expansion again. Still, even in WoW Classic there are some story events - like the AQ War Effort - which are lost to me now that the events have finished (unless they release fresh servers in tandem or in the wake of TBC, which I doubt). Is there anything similar in FFXIV? I know the story still gets a lot of praise, with the ARR stuff being a bit of a drag initially, but are there any major story elements that I'll NEVER see due to starting this late?

Thanks in advance for all advice. If anyone has any useful resources or links, like FFXIV's answer to Wowhead, they'd be very welcome too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Lucky Jack wrote: »
    (2) As everyone knows, retail WoW's story is all over the place by now, though I know some of the Shadowlands changes have made it easier to experience it expansion-by-expansion again. Still, even in WoW Classic there are some story events - like the AQ War Effort - which are lost to me now that the events have finished (unless they release fresh servers in tandem or in the wake of TBC, which I doubt). Is there anything similar in FFXIV? I know the story still gets a lot of praise, with the ARR stuff being a bit of a drag initially, but are there any major story elements that I'll NEVER see due to starting this late?

Thanks in advance for all advice. If anyone has any useful resources or links, like FFXIV's answer to Wowhead, they'd be very welcome too.
    So, I'm far from an expert, like you I started (very) late and I'm only mid way through Heavensward so a fair bit off level cap. Like you though,

I haven't seen any story events that are completely impossible to do now, but there are a few bits that end up a little underwhelming because of how they work out. Specifically there are two 8 man dungeons that are the last two parts of the 1.0 content and are mandatory parts of the Main Story Quest. There are a couple of things that are done well, for a start, if it's your first time in any dungeon, everybody else will get an xp boost. This means that people levelling alt jobs are generally more than happy to have you around and if you let them know you are new, they'll usually take that into account. There's also a bunch of story cutscenes in those 2 dungeons, previously these were skippable on an individual level, but they're mandatory now, to stop those levelling alts from leaving anyone who actually wants to experience the story behind. The big issue with those 2 dungeons though is that the gear level that higher level characters get synced down to is waaay too high. This means that you'll basically find yourself hanging on as you are being speedrun from cutscene to cutscene, which definitely takes away from their intended use as the 'grand climax' of the 1.0 story.

Thankfully that only appears in 1.0, there don't seem to be any 8 man mandatory story instances, though I think the Crystal Tower raids are a prerequisite of the 5.3 content, so do those at level 50 if you can.

Stuff I've found useful so far are:

Wiki: https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/FF14_Wiki
    Zepla HQ - bunch of beginner friendly content & guides: https://www.youtube.com/c/ZeplaHQ/videos
    MTQcapture - dungeon guides: https://www.youtube.com/c/MTQcapture/videos
    FFXIVGuild - Crafting/gathering guides: https://ffxivguild.com/

[edit] I should add, so far I've found the community to be pretty great for an MMO. Generally the first thing you should do in any dungeon is tell people that it's your first time there. They'll then take that into account and quite often guide you through any bits of fights etc. that you'll need to know. Yeah, there predictably is a tiny weeb/furry/'Erotic RolePlay' community element which is a bit weird, but they usually stay out of the way and are easy enough to ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Lucky Jack

Blowfish wrote: »
    So, I'm far from an expert...

Thanks for all the info - went ahead and downloaded yesterday so I've put a few hours in and really enjoying it already. Starkly different to the WoW experience, actually makes me wonder if I've been missing out on other MMOs over the years just because I couldn't get to grips with WoW.

I guess so far though I'm still very much in 'solo mode', so I'll see how I fare when I get to more mandatory group content.

Just been reading about the upcoming Endwalker expansion and I'm intrigued by the devs' comments about it being a 'proper' ending to the current arc - anyone knows what that will mean in practice? Does it mean that new players entering the game once Endwalker has run its course will be kicking off from yet another 'new' version of the game/MSQ?

Just wondering as the MSQ system so far makes it really enjoyable to feel like I'm actually following a story. I'd hate to go un-subbed after this trial only to come back post-Endwalker and find I've missed out on the arc, so might actually be an incentive to sub after all, even if I don't have much time to give to it.

I would guess that when 7.0 happens (endwalker is 6.0) that they will be given the choice of starting from Realm Reborn or 7.0

I think the game badly needs to rethink how it onboards players for its story anyway. My biggest request for 7.0 is a level squish down to 60 or something and a game rebalance to adjust for it. Doing ARR/HW and even Stormblood content is pretty boring with the synced rotations.

PC got a bit of a performance uplift, loading wise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

PC got a bit of a performance uplift, loading wise

It's because the removed the artificial limiter with the implimentation of the PS5 which has a SSD in it. PC was long capable of doing this but until now they had a limiter in place so PS4 players weren't overshadowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Mutant

Hi quick question about the new ps5 beta, about a month ago i purchased the complete collector's edition and was just about to start playing but now there is a ps5 specific beta, as i have bought the complete edition i just wanted to know if its going to give me access to everything on the ps5 version once its out of beta.
    Does progress restart on ps5 or can ps4 save data be transferred.
    Lastly as im only starting would it be best to start the ps4 or ps5 version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Any Irish Free Companies?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Started back at this a week or so ago for the first time since launch.

Im so impressed i bought the complete edition, its so much better than what wow has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Things are a little nuts atm as wow's 9.1 is DoA. Between the bad content and the whole Sylvie debacle (wows youtube team hid the 9.1 raid ending video as its been downvoted 4 to 1) its gone and pushed people into giving XIV a go. Hell Asmongold one of WoWs biggest livestreamers started FFXIV and they're all enjoying it with him along with other big names in that area and to top it off SE is running a free play trial up to lvl60 and unlimited access to ARR and Heavensward along with a 14 day welcome back campaign. Because of all these happening at the same time what should be the quietest time for the game during its pre expansion phase is actually incredibly busy instead with Steam players hitting the highest ever concurrent player numbers and multiple servers nearly locked out for character creation due to high numbers of people playing. Hell the last LL said Endwalker preorders were 2 to 3 times higher than Shadowbringers preorders. Just wait till Endwalker in November its going to be absolutely insane. They had plans for server upgrades too so hopefully they'll get prioritised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Watching Asmon play this ‘weeb’ game is amazing. He seems to really, really enjoy it and has a smile on his face constantly. Watching his reaction to some of the old content is brilliant. He completed BCOB recently and you could tell he was blown away.

It’s a good time to play…. If you can get a sub that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

So i finally decided to jump back into FFXIV. Purchased Shadowbringers last night as i didnt want to wait for Endwalker as i wouldnt get access to that expansion until November. I had returned and installed the game back in 2019 after leaving not long after Heavensward came out. Played for a few weeks trying to progress on with the story and some of my classes with Stormblood, got the MSQ and 2 classes up to 70 but ultimately left again as i didnt really have anyone to play with and got bored.

Had been around since FFXIV 1.0 and ARR when it launched and I found it hard to return to the game after being away for so many years. All of my hotbars were completely broken, classes had changed, abilities were gone etc. My friendlist is completely gone and it seems most people stick to themselves or already in a FC so think im gonna have that same issue this time around. Outside of randomly going to FATES or que for Dungeons and Dailys not sure what i should be doing.

PLD and SCH are both currently 70, lots of others are 50 from doing them before. I want to focus on a DPS so iv jumped into RDM and trying to get used to the rotation. Im currently on Diablos but not against changing server if there is a group from here playing together or getting on during Irish Prime time etc as i think thats whats needed really day to day.

RopeDrink you seem to know the most about the game lately. You currently in an End Game FC and sticking to that content or you playing with others here or anything?

So ill be sticking around for the forseeable future.

Easily the best MMO on the market now.

If there was a group of irish playing id love to join in the fun.

An irish FC would be sweet, im on Twintania and leveling some jobs.

Started with machinist got to 70 but not sure its for me so i switched to samurai which is great fun @ lvl 60 but with so many more abilities still to be learned it might get a bit overly complicated.

Ive also got my White mage to 57 and really enjoy it but i swore id leave healing behind for this as ive maned healers in every mmo the past 17 years :(

I joined Free Company on there but its huge and doubt id get to know any of them its just too big so im looking for a smaller FC with a chilled attitude.

Anyone else on Twintania?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Also thinking of jumping back in, I am not going to lie and say the allegations going around on blizzard are stopping me. While terrible if i stopped playing games due to the unethical behavior of company management id play nothing. However you can see that the toxicity has leaked into the game and there was an air of hubris from the dev team that no matter what they put out people would stay subbed.

The realization is that the game is in a terrible state and that combined with the likelihood of shadow-lands being dead and on life support until what ever the next expansion is has meant that its very easy to just drop it and move one. I think that is a major reason why most content developers are moving on.

Like Ropedrink the one thing keeping me in the game was M+ and i don't think thats enough anymore. May as well give this a proper go and finish leveling my char ARR is a slog :(.

In a small cross server chat with a few lads on the light data center, if you give me your username can add you too it.

And anyone else if they like

• Advertisement

Oreth Ulain

Cheers :)

Currently on Diablos if anyone is on there.

Cool will try adding you guys, need to be online at the same time.

If you guys want to you can pm your discord if you have it and can invite you to a server with a few of us on it.

Sorry late seeing this, havnt seen an invite or anything sorry if i havent overlapped. Ye ill PM You discord details now cheers.

Sorry im only seeing this now, im finding boards a frustrating navigation lately so im not on here much.

Ive actually unsubbed until endwalkers as i went back to guild wars 2 and really enjoying it.

Thanks a lot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Indeed we just lost one of our raids main healers in wow, her partner put it like this. Why play WoW and be forced to run content when she can do what she wants when she wants in FF14.

Well just finished up MSQ to current patch finally and been doing some other random stuff the last few weeks. Been farming some mounts and getting other jobs up to 80 and playing Bojan and similar zones.

Many of you been watching much of the Endwalker media stuff or many of the Yoshida interviews?

Have you finished up the MSQ for EW Rope?

• Advertisement
Advertisement