Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What De-Barked This Tree?

• 31-07-2020 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭

Came across this tree today near me that I run past a lot and a big chunk of its bark has been stripped and is lying on the ground pulped, any clue what the cause was?

wxOIxQp.jpg

ZtmKtIL.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah right never knew it was that dramatic when they did it, not sure of the tree but theres definitely a good few Greys up on Bray Head where I took this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Tree is dead/dying and is starting to disintegrate..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its canopy looks okay, there are a couple of massive shelf fungi growing out of it though, biggest I ever saw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ulmus wrote: »
    would a grey squirrel waste its time debarking clearly dead wood though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I would say tree is on it's way out. Lot of ash leaves above but not an ash tree, posibly sycamore? You can see several rotten and broken limbs above which indicates a good age. The lower damage is not squirrel related but has been worked on by animals, possibly badgers for the insects.I have a couple of trees in the surrounding fields that have gone a similar way.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Melodeon

I'll concur with most of the above, that tree is effectively dead, even if it still has a few green bits in the canopy.
    You're looking at a tree that's disintegrating and decomposing back into its constituent elements, all while providing a multitude of benefits to the fauna and flora that facilitate that process.
    In due course, a wind event will occur that overcomes the integrity of its degraded structure, and it will all come crashing to the ground.
    The next generation of woodland flora will explode by the tens of thousands into the vacant space, one of which will eventually become the single dominant specimen that replaces this tree.

If this is somewhere accessible to the general public, or if there is valuable infrastructure within reach of the falling carcass, I'd suggest felling it sometime over the next few years in a controlled manner in a safe direction while it's still got some strength and structure, and leave it lie where it falls for nature to complete the work.
    Otherwise, leave it alone and don't go near it when it's windy! :-)

Advertisement