Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worm Party!

• 31-07-2020 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭

Last night, about midnight, I was walking through our back garden with the light of my phone as a torch. The lawn, that I had just cut a few hours earlier, was literally covered in earthworms. As soon as the light shone on the worms, they disappeared back into the ground. Pretty sure it hadn't rained all day/night.

I've never seen anything like this before. I Googled it and nothing came up. Is it a mating thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

They’re out again tonight. Got a couple of pictures

2-FB1-D0-D0-CBAA-4119-96-F2-9740595-EED80.jpg

3-B15-D1-A8-8161-4354-839-C-137-BB1-DC8930.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

covid party?

but seriously you must have very fertile soil?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Did anyone open a can?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I wonder, would they have come up to "absorb" the dew.

They were probably on a night shift, ready to go before the early bird arrives for work. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

That is a sign of very healthy grass. Those worms are essential to aeration and transporting nutrients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Last night, about midnight, I was walking through our back garden with the light of my phone as a torch. The lawn, that I had just cut a few hours earlier, was literally covered in earthworms. As soon as the light shone on the worms, they disappeared back into the ground. Pretty sure it hadn't rained all day/night.

I've never seen anything like this before. I Googled it and nothing came up. Is it a mating thing?

Earthworms come up at night to feed and to breed. They pull the likes of leaves and stuff underground

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Do you use a mulching deck ? ( Just curious )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Do you use a mulching deck ? ( Just curious )

I was mulching the grass last year. I’ve built a compost bin since.

Not sure if it’s relevant but we’ve now got chickens free ranging on the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I did some Googling of this when the first post was made. Most hits were from US sites which talked about particular varieties of earthworm which they called nightcrawlers, which seems an appropriate name! I don't know how that translates to here, i.e. if all earthworms do this, or just certain ones.

Alun wrote: »
    I did some Googling of this when the first post was made. Most hits were from US sites which talked about particular varieties of earthworm which they called nightcrawlers, which seems an appropriate name! I don't know how that translates to here, i.e. if all earthworms do this, or just certain ones.

So I’m right in thinking it is unusual? It was still going on last week when I was out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

So I’m right in thinking it is unusual? It was still going on last week when I was out there.

It's normal behaviour. Happens most nights after rain

Advertisement