Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Liscannor stone ruin

• 01-08-2020 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭

Was sitting in my car having a coffee at Moher cottage cafe enjoying the view over Liscannor when I saw an old ruin that I never noticed before. It is across the fields between Moher cottage cafe and Liscannor. It is an old stone ruin, I think it includes a few buildings and some of it seems to be in the style of a castle. I drove between Liscannor and cliffs of Moher 100’s of times before and never noticed it.

Anyone have any idea what this is, or was?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭Deagol

Untitled.jpg

This?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭jackboy

Deagol wrote: »

No, it’s much bigger. I just had a look in google maps. There was something very substantial there. There are serious walls around fields in the vicinity. It looks like the main buildings were very big but a lot of it is demolished. There is a big house in the middle of it which looks newer and probably occupied. Hard to see it from the Liscannor road but Moher cottage gives a great view of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I think its Birchfield former home of one of the O'Brien family. A landlord family of whom it was said they built everything in north Clare except the cliffs of moher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭jackboy

Glenomra wrote: »
    I think its Birchfield former home of one of the O'Brien family. A landlord family of whom it was said they built everything in north Clare except the cliffs of moher.

Thanks. Just checked that out in google. Can’t find any recent photos but the location seems to be spot on. Never had heard of it before.

Advertisement