Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Apnoea and CPAP

1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Sorry to be late to the party, but chop up an onion and put it beside your cpap vent....... amazing how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Really?

Jayses... might try that..

Would probably rid me of the wife and protect me from vampires too eh?

😀😁😃

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Jose1

60/80 AHI is the highest I've heard about.

My sleep study (July 2024) score was 29 and deemed the higher end of moderate.

All literature and apnea websites I've read point to a score above 29 being severe/acute but never actually delve into those numbers and explain their adverse health effects. It's all very vague. Everything is just lumped together to serve as a collective warning to all.

Would be interesting if people replied with their own numbers so we can compare one another.

Here's mine:

AHI 29

0.4 average since using CPAP. Highest recoded was 2.7, lowest was 0.0.

Should read July 2023😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm hoping to be given the all clear again from sleep apnoea soon. I was diagnosed when I weighed a bit over 120kg. Down to 105kg now and the wife tells me that my symptoms have all but disappeared. Still snore a wee bit but not the holding breath thing. Eventual goal is about 85kg.

I've got a CPAP machine but have never once managed to get a full night's sleep with it. I was under the impression that it would just blow enough to keep your airway open, and only when it detected that you weren't breathing properly. This damn thing sits at level 4 for half an hour til you're asleep, then blows a feckin gale down at you and wakes me instantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Took me 2 months to get used to it, but was worth it on the end. I have the same weight profile as you and eventual target. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Hmmm... that sounds like you need a bit of help with the configuration of the CPAP machine.

I'm paying ResMed for mine and I've rung them up a few times to get help with the right settings etc.

The AirSense one I have has an auto mode that adjusts it apparently (I dunno, I'd be asleep...) and if you've one of those you can turn it off so it doesn't change the pressure.. and the way the autoset operates can be adjusted too...

But I wouldn't just leave it and be annoyed with it.. get it working for you, god knows they aren't cheap things to have..

Google is your friend too... there's loads of youtube videos etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I work in the North so got my machine on the NHS. Have been back to the clinic with it twice, and had a tech out twice.

Fed up with it at this stage. Wife says the snoring is almost gone, certainly not enough to disturb her sleep. And the breathing issues are also nearly gone. So I'm just going to keep plugging away with the weight loss and then get assessed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭wonga77

Interesting thread, just discovered it, gonna have a good read of things

I was also diagnosed with sleep apnea about 2 years ago, tried my absolute best but couldn't sleep a wink with the cpap machine so I stopped using it.

Trying various methods now but with little success I must admit

• Registered Users Posts: 32,912 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So I had my final meeting with a consultant yesterday, to get results of my sleep study done a couple of months back.

I have very mild apnea.

He said they measure it on a scale of 0 -5 for nothing to worry about, 5 - 10 for mild, 10 - 15 for moderate, and 15 - 20 for severe.

I was 5.1.

So basically he says that's me done. No need for a cpap machine. He did advise I could see a dentist about getting a mandibular device, which should help low level problems like mine.

Not sure what to do. Still extremely exhausted every morning I wake, irrespective of how much sleep I get. The tech who saw me for an interview before the sleep study said that some people don't show a high count on the device as they are very active and would be fit, and the device often wouldn't pick up occasions of breathing stopping. Might follow up on that.

But looks like it is back to gp to see if there's any more checks that could be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 balanced24

Hi All

diagnosed five years now. Only saw consultant once and machine person once. Tried the machine but did nothing for me and would wake up freezing and unrested.

I sleep for about 3.5 hours in bed 5 ish according to app.

snoring or groaning the whole time.

My body and throat is so sore every morning, my mouth like a sandbox, it takes me nearly two hours to ease the pain.

i often sleep in the chair now as I’ll wake with less pain, still don’t sleep longer.

fairly worn out body and mind at this stage. Not much around me to get second opinion. Typical man not great at asking for help.

Anyone get surgery? Or tests to find exact cause.

Struggle to even watch tv now and tears flow for no reason at the drop of an hat, even as I write this .

Just worn out from nothing anyone else get like this?

thanks for reading

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This is very hard. I have some of these issues and would not want more.

There could be a couple of things going on together here. When the machine did no good, did its own stats suggest that it was doing good?

sorry to hear you’re having issues too. I’ve had a lot of health issues my life but I feel this one robs you of life.

They gave me the machine and it’s on auto, there is a button I can press that stops the pressure for a few minutes but I have no control over it as such.

I did say to the company about not getting any relief so they sent a new mask and send one yearly that’s the only contact.

I have a memory of sending them an SD card once but I don’t remember clearly.

the machine has a little led screen but I don’t know what the numbers mean and nobody has ever said anything to me about stats.

There is some discussion earlier in this thread. There is a measure of sleep apneas per hour, if the sleep test showed over 30 then you have a severe problem. The machine reduces this and reports a number, people here report numbers like 2 or 3 which means that the machine should do good, below 5 is "normal". I get around 2, which would be fine if I could keep the mask on most of the night, which I cannot always do. The LED has this info and the SD card should have produced a report with this data. I have a machine which send this data automatically from a SIM card.

I'd speak to the company about understanding the data. If this shows that it should work then there may be other things affecting sleep and they could be addressed in a different way, one by one.

thanks very much I learned more from you than I have known from the people treating me. I don’t think my machine says the apneas I have.

I have a Devilbliss Intelli PAP® Standard and I think I’m confused the setting isn’t automatic I think they programmed in a setting which never got changed as I never had a second visit from the company.

I’ll have to do something as I’m just wrecked. I saw the thread come up on the Home Screen tonight I’ll have a read over some of the recent pages.

Might have to make a break for the big smoke and get a study done again.

I don’t want to come across as lazy not looking after myself but I’m sure if anyone understands the lack of energy it’s people in this thread.

As I understand it, machines have a "prescription" from the consultant. The companies don't change this without medical input.

Thanks I heard of this once in regard to payment.

If that’s what decides the settings I’m surprised I was never told about checkups.

I’ll have to get checked out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Have you a consultant? Who put you on the machine? I take my SD card to my consultant every year and he analyses the stats and adjusts the machine accordingly. Someone has to be monitoring you

Hi thanks for message

I saw a consultant, had the test and then got the machine. The machine person covering my area was on leave so I had another person covering . Never met the actual person as only had one machine visit.

I was diagnosed just before Covid so I think I just fell out of the system.

should I have had a sleep study every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

I did the Study once in the beginning ... and that diagnosed me that I needed to go the CPAP avenue.

I now just see the consultant once a year to review the SD Card and have a chat on any queries I might have.

I reckon you should go back to your Consultant and chat about your problems and take it from there...... am sure he will get you back on the right path again

• Advertisement

The consultant will likely review a month's data or so from the machine, rather than doing another sleep study. So call the machine company and make sure that data is being collected, get an SD card or whatever, make an appointment and have the machine data sent to the consultant before you go. Get a clear explanation of things when you do go and perhaps even a different machine that gives you more information. Keep at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,004 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a Resmed machine which links itself to the internet. It keeps track of my apnoeas, time asleep, mask fit (leakage) etc. Every morning it sends a message to my phone to say what my stats were for the previous night. When I go to the consultant they can just draw down the stats, which I believe are more in depth than the ones I get daily, onto their computer. This is much more effective than the previous system of taking the SD card to consultations, I can track progress over time.

It shows apneas per hour, for the time you are wearing the mask. So, if you lie awake with the mask on for an hour say, that counts as an hour's sleep, but because you are not asleep it shows 0 events. As the overnight total is achieved by adding the score for every hour and dividing by the number of hours this 'awake hour' dilutes the number of apnoeas. I have woken in the night and the machine has been showing, say, over 30, but by morning this number is averaged out and it might show the overnight number as, say, 10.

As I understand it, it works like this. You have the highest number of apnoeas as you go into deeper sleep, the concentrated high number means that you are not getting that deep sleep, and often if you have mask problems it is in this phase that you wake with high leakage, so that's another reason why you are not getting the deep sleep. If anyone knows any different I would be interested to hear.

I have occasionaly worn an oxymeter overnight both with and without the mask. Without the mask my blood oxygen levels go extremely low, into the 70s occasionally, whereas with the mask, even with a high number of apnoeas the levels don't drop below the 80s (which is still low).

I would like to discuss this with the consultant, but I have only just found a consultant who is actually taking a flicker of interest in more than taking money off me. Even then he does not really seem to take account of the fact that a person with SA problems is likely to be dozy and not communicating in the most coherent way, especially having travelled a considerable distance to the appointment and all the associated stress of travelling. I intend to take some of these questions written down to my next appointment, I can write much more coherently than I can talk.

Incidentally, do cpap machine wearers realise that the machine and masks are claimable under the drug repayment scheme?

Are you using Airsence 10 or 11? I have the 11 machine (Bulgarian seller), works great but can't get Bluetooth connection with the Air App.

Anyone with similar issues?

I am using 10. It just uses the broadband connection to an ap called 'My Patient Space'. Worked fine even when there was virtually no connection in that room, got a better connection now.

Thanks for the info.

Incidentally, my GP was pretty sure I had Sleep Apnea but before checking it out she arranged for blood tests to eliminate other things that can mimic SA - notably Thyroid and Diabetes. Thankfully these weren't an issue for me but it's worth bearing in mind if they haven't already been checked out.

I've no medical background, just a bit of friendly advice.

Thanks, yes these have already been checked. It does sometimes seem as though 'chat amongst ourselves' is as helpful as the consultant type advice out there, though this is not normally the approach I would take.

The rental of machines and masks is covered under the Drug Payment Scheme, but if you buy these then you can only claim back tax on MED 1, as I understand it.

For anyone interested a lady just diagnosed 10 days ago rang liveline very worried, Doctor spoke of blindness, stroke and death. I was blinded by the couple of times I used the machine.

A good few people rang in to reassure her.

I’m listening to it on podcast now on Spotify and it’s interesting some got studies at home and one man came off machine as apneas came down.

Joe kept interrupting her because she wasn’t quick enough to respond wish I could have rang in to say that’s part of it Joe give her a chance.

Sad callers say there’s no cure because I hope there is.

They talking about a dental procedure now.

Its hard to see how there can be a cure, given the nature of the problem. Going off the machine because the apneas have come down is a very bad idea. Failing to serioously follow through with my first diagnosis of SA was probably related to the AFib that developed.

Balanced 24, what do you mean about the blindness? It is true that SA is closely related to heart issues. Low blood oxygen caused by not breathing stresses organs, especially the heart and brain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement