Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

stephen97 wrote: »
    HEY GUYS I JUST GOT A CHARGE FROM GREYHOUND FOR OCTOBER 2011 T0 JANUARY 2012, I HAVE PAID MY 100 EURO CHARGE THIS YEAR TO GREYHOUND AND LAST TO DCC.
    GREYHOUND ONLY TOOK OVER 1ST JANUARY THIS YEAR, SO IS THIS A LEGITIMATE BILL?
    OR JUST GREYHOUND CHANCING THEIR ARM FOR MY MONEY?

i got a bill from DCC from October to the 16th January and then Greyhound too over, are you sure the bill is from Greyhound?

also it is considered extremely rude to type in CAPITAL LETTERS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

irishbird wrote: »
    i got a bill from DCC from October to the 16th January and then Greyhound too over, are you sure the bill is from Greyhound?

Caps lock, maybe? ;)

Anyway, am moving house at the end of this month, I hope, Greyhound don't make a fuss out of it. I don't want to pay another 100 quid up front.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭stephen97

irishbird wrote: »

MY CAPS BUTTON IS BROKE, SORRY. ITS AN OLD MACHINE, YEAH IT SAYS GREYHOUND COLLECTING ON BEHALF OF DCC

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Cheezypuf

I saw a notice outside someone's house from the litter warden. It said that someone had been leaving bins out on he wrong day, and that if this was detected again the perpetrator would be fined.

Can you imagine that holding up in court?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 zugrook

I switched about 2 months ago. Used the letter thorntons kindly supplied to inform Greyhound and tell them to collect my old bins. The old bins have not been collected just like my next door neighbours. Now we get this final bill from greyhound on behalf of DCC. Sign the petition below with your comment. I have neighbours who are refusing to pay this bill until the old bins are collected. Some have even left them accross the road abandoned eventually getting picked up by kids. I'm thinking about doing the same if were not for the newspaper headline. "Child dies after sliding down hill in abandoned wheelie bin". Please sign petition below.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/grehound-recycling/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=system&utm_campaign=Send%2Bto%2BFriend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

Cheezypuf wrote: »
    According to my councillor, they didn’t get an opportunity to vote on this: the City Manager made the decision and oversaw the implementation himself.

That is not completely true, a majority of councillors (FF, FG, LAB) voted in favour of privatisation. The fact that FF had handed power from the elected representatives to the "Executive", in other words John Tierney, meant that they had no further say in the matter.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That is serious buck passing. Surely if they were so concerned about it they would have kicked up a fuss. Instead there has been barely a whimper from any of them.

Reminds me of Harney's standard response 'I'll refer that to the HSE'

I would suggest if it was the case that they did not vote on it that they were happy not to have to deal with it

They tried, Tierney (City Manager)was called to attend a special meeting of the council, I attended the meeting and I have never encountered such display of arrogance in my life. Essentially he told the elected represenatives, they ask as many questions and pass as many motions as they liked but he would not be answering any questions or givng any explanations.

You can thank the ffers for the fact that power was removed from the electred representatives and handed over to the "Executive".

Can you just buy the bin tags separately or do you need to be registered and have the €100 paid?

If you are a bag customer you do not have to register, you just buy the tags as you did when DCC was doing the collection. In my area Greyhound still have not managed to collect bags on the correct day two weeks running.

Since privatisation, the bin collection service in our area has been an absolute disaster. I live on a laneway near the Grand Canal and when Dublin City Council were organising the service all the householders would leave their black bags at the end of the lane on a Thursday night and they would be gone the next morning. The following Thursday, we would leave out our green bags and they would be gone the next morning.
    Since privatisation, there are bags of rubbish, black and green, left at the end of our lane everyday of the week. When Greyhound will arrive, and if they will actually collect them when they do eventually arrive, is like the finding out the third secret of Fatima. All along Harolds Cross Road and Clanbrassil Street there is rubbish left out uncollected everyday of the week. Dogs get into the uncollected rubbish and it ends up strewn all over the roads.
    Shane Ross brought up Greyhounds track record in overcharging semi - state companies in the Dáil and in print. How did this company ever get a contract to handle residential waste in Dublin? All the arguments opponents of privatisation raised seem to have unfortunately come to pass. We now have an expensive, inefficient and unreliable bin service that is incredibly getting a massive subsidy from the Irish taxpayers. It defies logic. So much of the propaganda that preceded bin charges and privatisation revolved around the argument that this new service would be more environmentally friendly. The fact that much of Dublin now looks like a rubbish dump makes a nonsense of this claim.

The "disposal" is shrouded in mystery, Tierney, overpaid City Manager (€190K & his assorted city managers, there are at least 3 on €130k per head) hired (without tender) E&Y to "evaluate" the waste collection companies, they were paid in excess of €250,000. However, the failed to discover Greyhound's history of overcharging Irish Rail, it was only when Shane Ross drew it to the attention of the so-called "Executive" of DDC that they became aware of this.

If Phil Hogan thinks I am going to pay a household charge to contribute to the excessive salaries of unaccountable incompetents, he can think again, I will see him in Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Cheezypuf

vikingdub wrote: »
    That is not completely true, a majority of councillors (FF, FG, LAB) voted in favour of privatisation. The fact that FF had handed power from the elected representatives to the "Executive", in other words John Tierney, meant that they had no further say in the matter.

Thanks for that info. Very interesting. I'll take this up with the next councillor who tells me it's nothing to do with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Massive apologies if this has all been answered before. I'm currently renting a house that has 3 flats in it - so 3 seperate bins going out all the time. Our charge for the year has been paid by our landlord. We have not bought any bin tags yet as we were completely unaware about needing to do so until about a month ago. Our bins weren't collected for 3 weeks in a row during which time I went about trying to find out about bin tags and trying to communicate with the other flats in our house (all occupied by foreign nationals who don't seem to understand the whole concept of paying for bins) about the charges - and then suddenly on the 4th week, our bins were collected. With no tags on any of them!

Basically, I'm just wondering is this normal? I don't understand why Greyhound would take them with no tags on them. Anyway, I'd prefer to have our bins collected every week since the house generates a fair bit of rubbish with 3 seperate flats. Does anyone know where in the Lower Drumcondra area one can buy bin tags? Also, does the recycling bin require a tag? I rang Greyhound about it already but they were terribly unhelpful. Our recycling doesn't seem to have been collected in a few weeks so I'm confused about that one too.

Sorry if these are stupid questions but as I said, no one at Greyhound seems capable of giving me a straight answer. I'd really appreciate any help so I can get this thing sorted asap! Thank you.

Konata wrote: »
    Massive apologies if this has all been answered before. I'm currently renting a house that has 3 flats in it - so 3 seperate bins going out all the time. Our charge for the year has been paid by our landlord. We have not bought any bin tags yet as we were completely unaware about needing to do so until about a month ago. Our bins weren't collected for 3 weeks in a row during which time I went about trying to find out about bin tags and trying to communicate with the other flats in our house (all occupied by foreign nationals who don't seem to understand the whole concept of paying for bins) about the charges - and then suddenly on the 4th week, our bins were collected. With no tags on any of them!

Basically, I'm just wondering is this normal? I don't understand why Greyhound would take them with no tags on them. Anyway, I'd prefer to have our bins collected every week since the house generates a fair bit of rubbish with 3 seperate flats. Does anyone know where in the Lower Drumcondra area one can buy bin tags? Also, does the recycling bin require a tag? I rang Greyhound about it already but they were terribly unhelpful. Our recycling doesn't seem to have been collected in a few weeks so I'm confused about that one too.

Sorry if these are stupid questions but as I said, no one at Greyhound seems capable of giving me a straight answer. I'd really appreciate any help so I can get this thing sorted asap! Thank you.
    Dublin city council sell the tags, you can buy from their civic offices wood quay.
    green bins, black bins and brown bins when paid up with greyhound you get a tag to place on the bin.These are bar-code tags with your details and they are scanned as bin is emptied, once you pay standard charge 100 yoyos, green bin is free and black bin is charged per lift, not sure what way brown works as we dont have one

Dublin city council sell the tags, you can buy from their civic offices wood quay.
    green bins, black bins and brown bins when paid up with greyhound you get a tag to place on the bin.These are bar-code tags with your details and they are scanned as bin is emptied, once you pay standard charge 100 yoyos, green bin is free and black bin is charged per lift, not sure what way brown works as we dont have one

Does anyone know if DCC will swap some DCC tags for Greyhound tags, I thought I had used all by DCC tags but found some today. Not a lot of money but better in my pocket than lost to DCC/Greyhound - particularly when you consider what an appalling excuse for service we are paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,669 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Does anyone know if DCC will swap some DCC tags for Greyhound tags, I thought I had used all by DCC tags but found some today. Not a lot of money but better in my pocket than lost to DCC/Greyhound - particularly when you consider what an appalling excuse for service we are paying for.

I doubt it very much - they gave an almost two-month period (or was it three?) where they honoured DCC tags, and then said after that they'd only accept their own ones.

That wasn't enough time for me to use my stash, so I still have some DCC tags sitting in my drawer - if you do persuade them to swap, let me know!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I doubt it very much - they gave an almost two-month period (or was it three?) where they honoured DCC tags, and then said after that they'd only accept their own ones.

That wasn't enough time for me to use my stash, so I still have some DCC tags sitting in my drawer - if you do persuade them to swap, let me know!

I might give it a try, I have pursuaded them to swap expired visitor parking tags.

I work on the premise, if you don't ask, you don't get".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,669 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I might give it a try, I have pursuaded them to swap expired visitor parking tags.

I work on the premise, if you don't ask, you don't get".

DCC closed that loophole a few years ago!

Anyway, the trouble is that it's Greyhound you'll have to talk into swapping the tags - and given what's been said and written about them here and elsewhere (although I have absolutely no cause for complaint with their service at my house, thank goodness), I wish you the best of luck!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    DCC closed that loophole a few years ago!

Anyway, the trouble is that it's Greyhound you'll have to talk into swapping the tags - and given what's been said and written about them here and elsewhere (although I have absolutely no cause for complaint with their service at my house, thank goodness), I wish you the best of luck!

If you are talking about the parking permits, I managed to swap some last month.

As for Greyhound - lucky you, until today they have not once managed to collect both the green bins and the plastic sacks on the combined collection days, as for the plastic sack days only, I think they have managed to collect them on the correct day all of 3 times - great service indeed.

Today at around 6.30pm (should have been collected this morning) they collected both green bins and black sacks together chucked the lot, unsegregated onto the lorry, crew told that they were told to do that today to get the collections finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Thanks for the info!

Ok so we don't have either of those tags but I know the 100 euro service charge is paid so I guess I'll get on to the landlord about those tags.

And sorry if it's a stupid question again but do you need tags on the individual bags also? That's what I thought it was but in your post you mentioned a barcode being scanned for the charge?

I am so confused about these bins >_<

as far as im aware they are still valid for greyhound,
    but for how long?
    who knows?
    maybe allah knows or even try buddha
    but jesus must be sleeping to have let the church do what it did for the last 2012 years,
    id say hes sleeping lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I rent in a private managed estate so while I pay rent the landlord deals with management fees.

DCC always came around 10am

Greyhound lately have their lads coming around 11pm
    I hope they're getting shift rate!
    Seem to be out working mad hours

I don't mind them coming at that hour, I'm not complaining over noise.
    Just Greyhound has them working hours that DCC did not so I hope they are getting well paid

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I rent in a private managed estate so while I pay rent the landlord deals with management fees.

DCC always came around 10am

Greyhound lately have their lads coming around 11pm
    I hope they're getting shift rate!
    Seem to be out working mad hours

I don't mind them coming at that hour, I'm not complaining over noise.
    Just Greyhound has them working hours that DCC did not so I hope they are getting well paid
    because greyhound is privately owned and possibly no unions, they could in theory exploit their workers,

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Craazysteve

Hi, last week someone stole four wheelie bins from outside our house. (1 Black, 1 Brown and 2 Green). Is this something that's happening now? i.e people stealing whole bins rather than just tags/stickers? These bins were also full, so it seemed extra strange to me.
    They are Greyhound bins, Dublin 7 area. It's gonna cost us €100 to get replacements off Greyhound. Grrrr.

Hi, last week someone stole four wheelie bins from outside our house. (1 Black, 1 Brown and 2 Green). Is this something that's happening now? i.e people stealing whole bins rather than just tags/stickers? These bins were also full, so it seemed extra strange to me.
    They are Greyhound bins, Dublin 7 area. It's gonna cost us €100 to get replacements off Greyhound. Grrrr.
    we got this in our area it was mainly kids taking bins and burning them at bonfires, but yes people may take your bin and ive heard greyhound empty with tags on, my advice use a good motorcycle lock and lock the handles to your gates when not in use,

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Craazysteve

Thanks Stephen, I'll take your advice and lock up the bins (when the new ones eventually arrive). A couple of months back one of our green bins was set on fire while it was out on the street waiting to be collected! It's not even a rough area IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 podger81

Since Greyhound took over, my black and brown bin never get collected, even though my account is always in credit. This has been going on for almost 4 months. In that time I have been onto their customer service every week, using up my own credit as no one ever rings me back. I am constantly told that they will re-scan bin and that should work but the next collection day my bin isn't lifted. :mad:
    Finally after 3 months they issued me with a new black bin. I thought this would be the end of all the problems but alas this morning my bin wasn't lifted. I'm at my wits end now. They have some neck taking my money when they don't even provide me with a proper service.:mad:

podger81 wrote: »
    Since Greyhound took over, my black and brown bin never get collected, even though my account is always in credit. This has been going on for almost 4 months. In that time I have been onto their customer service every week, using up my own credit as no one ever rings me back. I am constantly told that they will re-scan bin and that should work but the next collection day my bin isn't lifted. :mad:
    Finally after 3 months they issued me with a new black bin. I thought this would be the end of all the problems but alas this morning my bin wasn't lifted. I'm at my wits end now. They have some neck taking my money when they don't even provide me with a proper service.:mad:
    dont pay or deny all payments until they fulfil their obligations,even go as far as get in touch with your bank to recoup previous charges. they will soon come back to you with a resolution. or you could switch to the rival company, they charge a little more than greyhound but they were responsible and always removed bins before the arrival of greyhound,

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Dublin City Council are not selling Greyhound bin tags. Anyone coming into the civic offices looking to buy some will be disappointed.
    stephen97 wrote:
    as far as im aware they are still valid for greyhound

No they are not. DCC tags were only valid up until 16th of March.

They won't swap but they will give a refund on any DCC tags. You have to send the tags into them with a cover note requesting a refund.

Dublin City Council are not selling Greyhound bin tags. Anyone coming into the civic offices looking to buy some will be disappointed.

They won't swap but they will give a refund on any DCC tags. You have to send the tags into them with a cover note requesting a refund.
    quote "as far as im aware they are still valid for greyhound,
    but for how long?
    who knows?"
    they are valid for 6 months
    i never once mentioned swap, i said they were still honoured
    are you blind **** head
    read the quotes posted originally not what you decide to pick through
    and yes up until recently d cc were still selling tags and if not they would direct you to place to buy more
    are you blind

where was your advice? at least i offered some helpful advice. maybe you were nitpicking somebody elses advice? nit picker

• Advertisement

im gonna send a lice comb your way, so you can get your nits picked better

Advertisement