Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Sound Crowd

• 10-06-2005 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hey

I hope I'm not duplicating on a previous thread but I was wondering did they (The Sound Crowd / Orchestra) ever release an album or was it just an EP?

I was looking on the net and found "Sound Crowd - The Public Image EP" on the http://www.abbeyrecords.com website...It didnt give me a track listing so I wasnt sure if it had the likes of dream lover, 5th season, 909 city , NrgRush93, Romeo & TAIP on it?

Finally was it Mark Kevanagh on his own or the Sound Crowd that released the tracks "Tallaght" & "Ringsend" or is my mind really playing tricks on me?

Cheers to anyone who has more info on this that they want to share ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

v-deniso wrote:
    Hey

I hope I'm not duplicating on a previous thread but I was wondering did they (The Sound Crowd / Orchestra) ever release an album or was it just an EP?

I was looking on the net and found "Sound Crowd - The Public Image EP" on the http://www.abbeyrecords.com website...It didnt give me a track listing so I wasnt sure if it had the likes of dream lover, 5th season, 909 city , NrgRush93, Romeo & TAIP on it?
    Yes they did release a full album. A mate of mine has it (I think?!?!)
    v-deniso wrote:
    Finally was it Mark Kevanagh on his own or the Sound Crowd that released the tracks "Tallaght" & "Ringsend" or is my mind really playing tricks on me?

Cheers to anyone who has more info on this that they want to share ;)
    It was a Sound Crowd release. I have it on vinyl.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭v-deniso

BaZmO* wrote:
    Yes they did release a full album. A mate of mine has it (I think?!?!)

B.

What was the name of the album?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Sound Crowd was Tim Hannigan (Mr. Spring) and of course Mark Kavanagh as far as I know.

I think their first album was "Crowd Control Volume 1", I think it was pretty rare as I could never track it down. "Crowd Control Volume 2" had some of the more well known tracks, i.e. Tallaght, Ringsend, Fifth Season, Sixth Season.

One of the most under-rated Irish dance acts of the 90's era, brought down the house live at Feile in 1991 and many other nights in the Ormond, Olympic, etc.

I have a collection of all their hits if you'd like to PM me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

v-deniso wrote:
    What was the name of the album?
    Can't remember off the top of my head but I think it might just have been called "Sound Crowd"

Strangely enough all there releases are listed here except the album. It's making me think if they really did release one. But I'm fairly confident they did. I'll ask my mate when I see him over the weekend.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Soundcrowd - The Singles was one official LP that I remember was savage...

try discogs.com for more info.

Mr. Spring's (Tim H) website links to his playthatbeat.net resource which has plenty of old soundcrowd tracks for d/l, with the authors permission which is nice.

Enjoy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Crowd Contol Volume 1 was a cassette only release as far as I remember.

Crowd Contol Volume 2 was released on CD (which I have).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DanTan

JDxtra wrote:
    Crowd Contol Volume 1 was a cassette only release as far as I remember.

Crowd Contol Volume 2 was released on CD (which I have).
    Can you tell me where i can get crowd control vol 2 it would be great if anyone could.I was at dance nation in 1995 and it was the best live show and the last the sound crowd done together.Id like to hear it again to take me back.Dan from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Check it out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=somqrfWM7qQ

I used to love Sound Crowd. Massive fan of Sunset FM too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Baps

You can download their album and other releases from red records here:

http://www.mininova.org/det/957573

Mr. Spring himself gave me the link so its legit as well

Cheers for the link Baps!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah, cheers Baps, good selection of tunes there alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I thought they had an album called the fifth nine or something like that.

No seeders on that torrent right now :( Ill just leave it on for a while I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Seen them for their first live gig in The Ormond Multimedia Centre and it was animal. Still stands out as one of my best night out of all time. Done a White Dove (you wont see them again:mad:)and a line that night. I had to be scrapped off the ceiling:pac::pac:.
    It was a real party vibe with face painting and Smart Drinks.
    I have the ticket and recording from the night which you can download (will post link again). The Olympic had recently closed and the Ormond was full of Olympic heads that night which made it all the better.
    They had a big screen behind the stage which projected mad stuff all night.
    At the start of the night it projected L then O then V then E with a voice over saying the letters over and over then when the crowd just got wound up with impatience they went into Dream Lover, fcukin brilliant. http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=yR9mSPEn-bk
    The great thing about the Sound Crowd was that when Kavanagh DJ'd in The Olympic thay played all their own stuff.

They even had an EP with four tracks which was called 'Olympic States' with tracks:
    Tallaght: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=A4DltgrYdiU&feature=related, Ringsend: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=kkCYUNIFK_s&feature=related
    Ballybrack: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=9nCEN6GDKqw Killbarrick : http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=CE0b5izUK68&feature=related

We had our own tunes in The Olympic:D, you really thought you were part of the whole thing. Out of The Olympic, Sides DC and The Asylum I have to say that for atmosphere alone it was the best by a country mile and for those of you who were not there you really missed out on something special especially 1993 when it was in full flight.
    Name one club today that will have the cult status of the original Dublin Dance Clubs in 15 years time, my guess not even one will.

Will post more stories about The Olympic soon........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭crushproof

Sound Crowd!!!
    Absolutely brilliant! Im only a mere 21 year old but Sound Crowd are legendary. Whenever I play classic tunes such as 5th season and NRG Rush '93 they always go down a bomb.
    Took a long time of rooting around the net for years to get their tracks, finally found a load of them last year!! :D

crushproof wrote: »
    Sound Crowd!!!
    Absolutely brilliant! Im only a mere 21 year old but Sound Crowd are legendary. Whenever I play classic tunes such as 5th season and NRG Rush '93 they always go down a bomb.
    Took a long time of rooting around the net for years to get their tracks, finally found a load of them last year!! :D

Wow, when I was 21 all the legendary clubs were gone, although the Olympic did open again for a packed out brief spell. The Ormond had Tumble Weeds in it when The Olympic started off again but it was lame compared to its former glory:( with no lazers, no access to the balconies which did open after a few weeks cause of the crowds they were pulling and the speakers taken off the 4 balcony corners. At the time we thought it wasn't great. Imagine if it was this weekend you would be the first in the Q at the door I bet ya.
    Oh yeah and a bar which meant DRUNK mongoloid thicks dancin like fools. Fools I tells ya.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

doves do be still knockin around these days.

as do mistsi's!!

ofc theyre probably not as good as they were back then..

copeyhagen wrote: »
    doves do be still knockin around these days.

as do mistsi's!!

ofc theyre probably not as good as they were back then..

No way, but your right no way would they compare with what you'd get from way back.
    Are Mad Bastards, Double Mad Bastards or Pink Mad Bastards out again.
    If you fancy Russian Roulette take a couple.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭DjAloldskool

Baps wrote: »
    You can download their album and other releases from red records here:

http://www.mininova.org/det/957573

Mr. Spring himself gave me the link so its legit as well

Nice one Baps, do you be on the Asylum thread on Boards.ie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Baps

I just checked it out there for the first time. Is it good for finding downloads of rare stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭francois

I'll tell you a funny story-I was supporting them and Nikoli in the Tivoli-"Nikoli" was actually Timmy's cousin who was pretending to be German, he couldn't play keyboards and the whole Nikoli set was DAT tapes of mixes of ready to flow.
    At the end of the night, the promoter, who shall remain nameless, but was and is a major irish promoter was doling out the cash. Mark said that Nikoli wasnt happy with his fee as the night was rammed so the promoter threw in a load of extra cash that we divvied up between us!:D

francois wrote: »
    I'll tell you a funny story-I was supporting them and Nikoli in the Tivoli-"Nikoli" was actually Timmy's cousin who was pretending to be German, he couldn't play keyboards and the whole Nikoli set was DAT tapes of mixes of ready to flow.
    At the end of the night, the promoter, who shall remain nameless, but was and is a major irish promoter was doling out the cash. Mark said that Nikoli wasnt happy with his fee as the night was rammed so the promoter threw in a load of extra cash that we divvied up between us!:D

Terrible dishonesty! :D

Have you got any old mixes from then of yours or have you already stuck them up on boards? Any mixes from the UFO etc in general? - especially the night it was raided, would love to hear the 'everybody get down on the floor with your hands behind your head' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭francois

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Terrible dishonesty! :D

Have you got any old mixes from then of yours or have you already stuck them up on boards? Any mixes from the UFO etc in general? - especially the night it was raided, would love to hear the 'everybody get down on the floor with your hands behind your head' :D

Not from that night, but I do have the Front page of the Evening Herald "16 tenns Held In Ecstasy Swoop"
    and "The night the music died" There was a reporter in the place who the cops must have tipped off...
    I'll look around for some old stuff when I get back from my honemoon-getting married on friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Not from that night, but I do have the Front page of the Evening Herald "16 tenns Held In Ecstasy Swoop"
    and "The night the music died" There was a reporter in the place who the cops must have tipped off...
    I'll look around for some old stuff when I get back from my honemoon-getting married on friday!

Many congrats Francois. Hope the day is everything you had hoped for and everything that follows over the years is just as good.

Enjoy the honeymoon!

Congrats! Have a great day and enjoy the honeymoon (cause it's all downhill after!) :D

Cheers, appreciate if you can find anything relating to then. Or any old mixes would be great. Still never managed to get a single mix from the Temple of Sound!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

What was the name of tune that was in the Irish charts during April 1994?

By the Sound Crowd Orchestra.

I remember listening to it going into the pub to watch Ireland beat Holland away in a friendly before the World Cup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ddisco

kcb wrote: »
    What was the name of tune that was in the Irish charts during April 1994?

By the Sound Crowd Orchestra.

I remember listening to it going into the pub to watch Ireland beat Holland away in a friendly before the World Cup!

That would be "6th Season"

Im my opinion Their best track was "Think about it " - Unbeliveable track - would give my left arm for the original pressing on vinyl.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=vi4bAbKOyNc

Fair play to that Dunlaoire fella - has uploaded some quality old Skool to youtube over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Ddisco wrote: »
    That would be "6th Season"

Im my opinion Their best track was "Think about it " - Unbeliveable track - would give my left arm for the original pressing on vinyl.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=vi4bAbKOyNc

Fair play to that Dunlaoire fella - has uploaded some quality old Skool to youtube over the years.

Thanks mate!

Now, would it be possible to download both of those tunes somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ddisco

kcb wrote: »
    Thanks mate!

Now, would it be possible to download both of those tunes somewhere!

Have nearly everything bar "Think About it" on vinyl - just need to get around to converting(very soon) and id gladly up them for you. You can download a converter for youtube audio if you just wanted them for your own use - dont think the reproduction would be good enough for a set though - will pm you when im done.

Advertisement