Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Timber

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Hi all,
    I purchased 1 5ft x 5" x 1" walnut, cherry and oak and payed €43 for the 3 lengths. I thought this was extremely expensive. What do you guys think?
    I was waiting almost 3 weeks for it as well.
    I thought i was gonna get more wood for the money. The bloke told me that Cherry is very expensive. I was disappointed to say the least when i went out to pick it up.

Hi There Irlmonk,

Well if the wood you got was rough and not sanded or planed then it was a little on the expensive side. Where did you get it if you dont mind me asking? Cherry is very expensive but a 5ft plank should only be in the region of 10-15 euro if even that. Walnut a little less 10 say. Oak is expensive enough but I can get 5-6 lengths of oak at 9ftx6x1 for 120euro.
    If the stuff you got was ready to use then the price wasn't too bad.

Rich

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Yup, wee bit pricey. What is the timber for? Can't think of many applications that combine walnut, oak and cherry. Was it european oak, walnut and cherry or american?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Got the timber in Coolock it was PAO. It was imported from Europe. I am gonna mix the timber by laminating into 12" blanks for turning and other small projects.
    Thanks for the input folks ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 taramurf

Hi
    I am looking for a small off-cut of ebonised mahogany for a sculpture base. Needs to be at least 50 x 20 x 20 cm. I'm based in Dublin but willing to travel. Anyone here have any ideas please?
    Thanks
    Tara

Had a look at woodworkers.ie but no hardwood blanks or lumber listed - may still be worth a call. Brooks are open on the Naas Rd again. Morgans are there - think the website still lists them near the docks but they are out on the Naas Rd past the M50. Quinn Hardwoods have just opened a place in one of the warehouses beside Clondalkin Hardware (its near Dunnes there). May take more effort looking, but it will work out cheaper if you do the legwork.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I might have a bit of mahogany if you want to do the ebonizing yourself. http://www.egcc.biz/workshop/e/ebonising.htm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi,

I have the leg of an old snooker table - full solid mahogany.
    might suit you either.

will measure later today.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 42 taramurf

Thanks everyone- I'll check out those suppliers and if I'm still stuck I can come back to you about the mahogany snooker leg and/or Fergal B's off cut.
    Much appreciated!
    T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Prune67

Anyone looking for Craft wood should try "DH Timber Ltd" in Coolock.
    Email dhtimber@eircom.net Ph 01 8483073
    I have been looking for small amounts of hardwoods and soft woods for ages and only found this place yesterday. Nice people and they will supply large or small amounts.
    Hope this Helps

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

Hi, I am looking for a quntity of thin birch planks.
    60 off, 1.8m x 300 x 6mm or thereabouts, to hot mold window surrounds
    on a boat. Corner radius to be 100mm. I anticipate steaming 2 layers for laminating.

Advice appreciated.
    Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cubic

Hi there, does anyone know of someone interested in buying trees beech ash etc rather than them being used fr firewood etc

For the trees you could give these guys a go -
    http://www.kilndriedhardwoods.ie/contact.htm
    Remember though there are issues with "domestic" or roadside trees - as these in particular may have old nails etc embedded in them which can easily and quickly scupper a saw blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 typer05

Hi, does anyone know where I can get hardwood timber in Co.Mayo, boards not logs. Something like ash, oak etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean Farrell

Looking for an Oak log that i can carve on. Any suggestions as to where i could get one nice piece would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

what size of log do you want? may be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭TheGrump

Hey, anyone know where I could get waney edge board in the greater Dublin area? I want to make some chopping boards as gifts, something like the link below.

http://www.garrendennylane.com/Products/Rooms_Kitchen_Chopping-Boards/Bunbury-Boards-Waney-Chopping-Board-Small#

Money for old rope....Wish I knew someone in marketing and in the ccoi...!! lol

TheGrump wrote: »
    Hey, anyone know where I could get waney edge board in the greater Dublin area? I want to make some chopping boards as gifts, something like the link below.

http://www.garrendennylane.com/Products/Rooms_Kitchen_Chopping-Boards/Bunbury-Boards-Waney-Chopping-Board-Small#

Thetimberyard have some waney pippy/character oak in 27/28mm boards. Just down the units on the left beside Clondalkin Hardware. Would look the part all right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭itsme1284

Hi I'm looking for someone that supplies finnished timber, I'm looking for about 4 cubic ft of 1 inch ash, any one know we're I would source this and how much I costs for finnished timber. I'm in the limerick area, tried mcmahons in limerick they only supply rough timber at 29 euro a cubic ft.

itsme1284 wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking for someone that supplies finnished timber, I'm looking for about 4 cubic ft of 1 inch ash, any one know we're I would source this and how much I costs for finnished timber. I'm in the limerick area, tried mcmahons in limerick they only supply rough timber at 29 euro a cubic ft.

Hi There, well I know in Dublin/newcastle theres a place I go to to get timber. They plane it too. Strahan Timber is the name http://www.strahan.ie/
    there is the link for them. They are good. Its just off the NAAS road, N7 actually. Not sure if this will help you or if its too far away...

Cheers

Rich

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭itsme1284

Hi rich
    Do you know how much the charge for planing timber

itsme1284 wrote: »
    Hi rich
    Do you know how much the charge for planing timber

Hi,

I think its about 20euro per plank , its a bit expensive, that doesn't include the sides, just the 2 flat surfaces. Though it saves a hell of a lot of messing!!
    I recently got Ash and Maple from them. The plane they have is fairly new I gather , it does a good job. Actually they supply schools around the country with timber so perhaps they do deliveries to your neck of the woods. They may throw on a few pieces for you. Give them a buzz. Actually I can give you the name of the guy I talk with. He's Liam beattie, email is sales@strahan.ie.
    Hope this helps you...

Rich

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

jelly man wrote: »
    could anybody tell me what bass wood is im 8 years at the carpentrey game and veyer heard of it .its ment to b great 4 carving ,so if any one knows about let me know thanks
    In my experience basswood is used mainly in the manufacture of guitars and other instruments Fender use it a lot as an alternative to more expensive woods, it's meant to be great to sand keeps its shape doesn't split takes water based paints well and readily available in Japan etc but I have not seen it for sale here, I am a beginner to woodwork though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Big Davey wrote: »
    In my experience basswood is used mainly in the manufacture of guitars and other instruments Fender use it a lot as an alternative to more expensive woods, it's meant to be great to sand keeps its shape doesn't split takes water based paints well and readily available in Japan etc but I have not seen it for sale here, I am a beginner to woodwork though.

I think lime is very similar to basswood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Hi,
    I'm looking for seasoned Cedar 6" x 1" boards, minimum 4ft long, of Irish origin. About 40ft in all.
    For beehive project.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think lime is very similar to basswood
    They're one and the same thing really, all members of the genus Tilia ... lime tree, linden, basswood, just slightly different species, but all with the same characteristics. It tends to get called basswood in the US and lime wood over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Varicosity

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get back into making some wooden boxes and a few other small scale projects. Unfortunately I have no surface planer or thickness planer for squaring stock. I'm doing this as a hobby so I'd prefer not to spend hours planing and thicknessing by hand.

With this in mind, does anyone know where I could get some 1/2" PAO Ash, Walnut, and Oak? I'm looking for boards a minimum of 5" wide and about 3/4 feet long. I'm happy to buy some offcuts off a boardsie rather than a timber supplier if that's easier.

I'm located in Dublin but I'm happy to drive to the surrounding counties to pick it up.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Varicosity wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to get back into making some wooden boxes and a few other small scale projects. Unfortunately I have no surface planer or thickness planer for squaring stock. I'm doing this as a hobby so I'd prefer not to spend hours planing and thicknessing by hand.

With this in mind, does anyone know where I could get some 1/2" PAO Ash, Walnut, and Oak? I'm looking for boards a minimum of 5" wide and about 3/4 feet long. I'm happy to buy some offcuts off a boardsie rather than a timber supplier if that's easier.

I'm located in Dublin but I'm happy to drive to the surrounding counties to pick it up.

Thanks!

Hi There, I can have a look in my shed. I mostly have 1 inch . I know for boxes etc this would probably be too thick. How much do you need? ( ash,oak, walnut )

Rich

Advertisement