Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Girlfriend wants to move out

• 20-01-2019 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

My girlfriend is tending a small studio apartment since January 2018, she signed a 1 year contract with a 4 year cycle (I don't know what that means), she pays in cash and always has.

Her friend offered her to move in with her to a new apartment which my girlfriend is really happy about for personal and work reasons. We're unsure though about what happens with her current apartment...will the landlord give her security deposit of €700 back? She hasn't signed anything since first moving in a year ago.

We want to get some advice before she tells her landlord she's looking to leave just so we know her rights and how to do this without 1, getting taken advantage of and 2, without screwing over the landlord intentionally or unintentionally.

Feel free to ask for any more information.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

She can offer to reassign the lease. Usually the landlord would rather do it themselves though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

VeryTerry wrote: »
    She can offer to reassign the lease. Usually the landlord would rather do it themselves though.

He mentioned last year something about her moving out freely as long as she finds someone to replace her.

I'm clueless when it comes to this situation so I'm really hoping for help here so the process can go smoothly for both parties.

Do you think she is entitled to her security deposit? Subject to inspection of the studio of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Get her to ask the landlord.
    It'll be snapped up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Get her to ask the landlord.
    It'll be snapped up
    True. He/she might welcome the opportunity to increase the rent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

MarkY91 wrote: »

Do you think she is entitled to her security deposit? Subject to inspection of the studio of course.

She is once there is someone ready to move in. I did the same thing last year and my landlord was happy enough. I gave him 2 months notice that we were leaving to give him time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Has the original lease run out yet. If it hasn't, and is about to run out, she can just leave at the end of the lease.

Advertisement