Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to go for.....

• 19-01-2019 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Stuck to choose which house to go for at the moment. I am looking at the following types of houses.

House 1 - 3 bed 1 bathroom.
    Positives:
    Detached, large front and rear garden, potential to convert attic and has a detached garage. Country side setting that is less then 5mins drive from town centre
    Neighbours are supposed to be alright ( only have 4 houses on same road)

Negatives:
    Smaller than house 2.
    Older house but structurally fine.
    Needs some modernisation (nothing major, timber floors and paint)
    3 bed instead of house 2 is 4 bed (not critical at moment)

House 2 - 4 bed 3 bathroom.
    Semi detached house.
    Positives:
    Much newer built and bigger footprint. Turn key solution.

Negatives:
    In a housing estate
    Smaller front and rear garden
    People driving into estate its the first house you see. Neighbours are unknown, looks like both homeowners and rented in the estate.

Comments

House 1 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Will this be your forever/longterm home?

House 2 will always be in a housing estate...., semi-d, less privacy, no changing that.

House 1 sounds like it has the potential to extend outwards if and when you need to. Private, own site. You can modernise in stages.

House 1 wins for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I would go for house 1 , you have more privacy, you can always add on an extra room if you need an extension .
    when you say bigger footprint for house 2 you should give more info,
    is it 10-20 per cent bigger.
    1000sq ft vs 800sq ft.
    is the kitchen or the front room bigger.?
    Detached is good ,eg means you wont hear any noise from neighbours
    or you can turn up the tv load at night without annoying anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Would come down to location for me as personally like to be able to walk to local amenities and access public transport.
    Is house 2 in a more central location?
    If location not an issue the house 1 sounds like a better bet long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Marty101 wrote: »
    House 1:
    Positives:
    Detached, large front and rear garden, potential to convert attic and has a detached garage. Country side setting that is less then 5mins drive from town centre
    Neighbours are supposed to be alright ( only have 4 houses on same road)
    Have any of the other neighbours enlarged their house? Meaning you could do so at a later stage.

A small group of housing often means that if you get on with them all, you'll have a nice life. It being detached, if you don't get on with them you don't have to care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Marty101

riclad wrote: »
    I would go for house 1 , you have more privacy, you can always add on an extra room if you need an extension .
    when you say bigger footprint for house 2 you should give more info,
    is it 10-20 per cent bigger.
    1000sq ft vs 800sq ft.
    is the kitchen or the front room bigger.?
    Detached is good ,eg means you wont hear any noise from neighbours
    or you can turn up the tv load at night without annoying anyone.

House 2 is 4 bed 3 bathroom Vs house 1 is 3 bed 1 bathroom. Footprint 1400 Vs 1100.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭razzler

House 1, country setting would win it by a mile for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

What are the prices?

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    What are the prices?

Both are going for same price

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

House 1 for me as it's detached.

But I'd be getting a good idea of the spend involved in bringing it up to spec before committing.
    Another consideration would be whether the more urban location might mean you only need 1 car (proximity to schools & shops) vs. being a little bit further out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Always detached.

I'm going to take a look at both again this week. Both have their pros and cons, but I think there is potential with the detached house to build on or convert attic space. Semi d will always be in an estate and much lower privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

House 1. Good potential for expansion/conversion of garage.

Advertisement