Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heating single room

• 18-01-2019 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi, friend of mine have electric heating in the house.I wonder what types of heaters would be efficient that could keep heat for similar to central heating and cost effective. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭sadie9

For one room heating, I think the oil-filled radiators are as cost effective as you will get.
    Try to make sure the windows are not letting draughts in. Also use heavy lined curtains at night and tuck the bottom of the curtain up onto the window sill. And a draught excluder at the bottom of the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,318 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

sadie9 wrote: »
    For one room heating, I think the oil-filled radiators are as cost effective as you will get.

+1 for a single room, your only options are gas and electric. A gas heater produces carbon dioxide (so you need ventilation) and water. The big problem is the water vapour, this condenses on the walls when you go to bed, leading to mildew and dampness. You also need to have a carbon monoxide alarm in the room.

On electric heaters, the fastest way to get heat is with a fan heater but I'd agree with the previous poster and go with an oil-filled radiator. No electric heater is more efficient than the next so beware of silly claims to the contrary, 100% of the energy is converted to heat in every electric heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BloodySandwich

I know you guys said that oil-filled are better but I also read that oil-free are better? Which ones are better?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,318 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I know you guys said that oil-filled are better but I also read that oil-free are better? Which ones are better?

You're asking to us comment on an article that you read but you haven't quoted one word of the article. Please outline some of the arguments you read in favour of oil-free heaters and we might care to comment.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

coylemj wrote: »
    You're asking to us comment on an article that you read but you haven't quoted one word of the article. Please outline some of the arguments you read in favour of oil-free heaters and we might care to comment.

You’re getting very worked up over heaters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Dimplex have those oil-free radiators, but to me, they look nothing more than a convector heater made to look like an oil radiator with all the little vent slits on the top of the fins.

Advertisement