Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Croagh Patrick done, what next for a group

• 17-01-2019 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

A group of us (about 12 men aged 35-40) done Croagh Patrick last year and spent the night in Westport. Had a great craic.

Can you suggest somewhere similar within a half hour of a train station.

We all could do Croagh Patrick without to much difficulty but wouldn't want anything more challenging or any more than 4 hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Hi Benny. Do you mean 4 hours round trip or 4 hours ascent?

I have listed some very good mountains below that are 4-5 hours round trip and nearish to a train station.

Carrauntoohil and Mweelrea take around 6-7 hours round trip and would probably be outside your parameters.

Galtymore - 35 minutes from Limerick Junction - joint County Top of Tipperary and Limerick. Great views. One of Ireland's highest mountains.

Knockmealdown - would be equidistant one hour drive from Waterford, Limerick Junction and Mallow.

Slieve Donard - around 45 minutes from Newry. Highest mountain in Northern Ireland.

Mount Leinster - around 30 minutes from Muine Bheag/Bagenalstown. Tarred road to the top... or cross country.

All of these would be 4 or 5 hours round trip.

Most Irish mountains are a good stretch from a train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Galtymore - 35 minutes from Limerick Junction - joint County Top of Tipperary and Limerick. Great views. One of Ireland's highest mountains.

Knockmealdown - would be equidistant one hour drive from Waterford, Limerick Junction and Mallow.

Slieve Donard - around 45 minutes from Newry. Highest mountain in Northern Ireland.

Mount Leinster - around 30 minutes from Muine Bheag/Bagenalstown. Tarred road to the top... or cross country.

All of these would be 4 or 5 hours round trip.

Most Irish mountains are a good stretch from a train station.

Cheers, yep 4 hours round trip, how would benbulben suit ?

Cheers, yep 4 hours round trip, how would benbulben suit ?

I have never been up Ben Bulben, but it's only 25 minutes from Sligo Railway Station.

My guess is that it's a 3 or 4 hour round trio. The front face looks epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

Please do bear in mind that not all mountains have an easily followed track to the top or are as busy as Croagh Patrick. At any time of year visibility can be poor and navigation skills may be needed to get your group up and down safely.
    Torc mountain can be walked from Killarney and without gaining a summit the Dingle Way or Kerry Camino is a great trail walk from Tralee.

• Advertisement

acorn wrote: »
    Please do bear in mind that not all mountains have an easily followed track to the top or are as busy as Croagh Patrick. At any time of year visibility can be poor and navigation skills may be needed to get your group up and down safely.
    Torc mountain can be walked from Killarney and without gaining a summit the Dingle Way or Kerry Camino is a great trail walk from Tralee.

Yep hence why I am asking here on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Sugarloaf in Kilmacanogue, Wicklow has a bus stop at the bottom and a track all the way up.

Slieve Gullion is near Newry station, Also the Cooleys & Mournes nearby

Divis mountain is above Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Nephin Mountain in north County Mayo - highest free standing mountain in Ireland I believe. New access track and car park at advanced stage. 25 minutes from Ballina. See the Crossmolina Community Council Facebook page for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Mangerton is just out the road from Killarney and has great views.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

Yep hence why I am asking here on this thread

Apologies if I was pointing out the obvious. Didn't mean to offend. I guess what I was trying to say was that
    many of the mountains mentioned in the replies would not be a straightforward up and down walk so treat suggestions with caution.
    Maybe check out www.mountainviews.ie. It is a mine of information on summits all around Ireland including access and routes.
    Hillwalking is a fabulous hobby. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

have done torc in killarney twice. its a lovely climb and a great view.
    hope to do mangerton this summer

Killarney is the obvious place, huge variety...Torc, Mangerton, Purple Mountain and Tomies, and the Reeks. If the weather is really bad can always stick to the National Park and the Kerry Way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Hi All,

A group of us (about 12 men aged 35-40) done Croagh Patrick last year and spent the night in Westport. Had a great craic.

Can you suggest somewhere similar within a half hour of a train station.

We all could do Croagh Patrick without to much difficulty but wouldn't want anything more challenging or any more than 4 hours.

You don't say where you're based but if Dublin, then suggest train to Rathdrum - scenic journey. I think http://www.wicklowwaybus.com/ is still operating and they provide a service from the station. That would open up Glendalough and/ or Glenmalure for you with several options for handy enough hill walks. Day walks or overnight in Laragh or Drumgoff or Rathdrum.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    You don't say where you're based but if Dublin, then suggest train to Rathdrum - scenic journey. I think http://www.wicklowwaybus.com/ is still operating and they provide a service from the station. That would open up Glendalough and/ or Glenmalure for you with several options for handy enough hill walks. Day walks or overnight in Laragh or Drumgoff or Rathdrum.

Yep sorry, we are based in Tullamore. Train is always best from Tullamore as the bus network is pretty crap plus train is far more comfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Yep sorry, we are based in Tullamore. Train is always best from Tullamore as the bus network is pretty crap plus train is far more comfortable

Ah, escaping the bog lands for a bit of height! Well you know how train lines are laid out now in Ireland, you'll have to go through Dublin to get most places.

Advertisement