Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Safe testing of a 40µF capacitor

Options
  • 17-01-2019 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

I need to test a 40µF capacitor with my multimeter. The machine it's on (an air compressor) has been disconnected from the mains for a couple of months. Can I safely assume that the capacitor is discharged? If not, any ideas on how to discharge it?
    Thanks in advance.

s-l300.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Just short out the two cables using an insulated screwdriver.
    Or carefully tip one bare cable end off the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Thanks!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You could measure the voltage across it to see if it is charged.
    This would be a DC voltage of course so set your meter accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

My meter is unfused. Is that not an issue?

I need to brush up on my knowledge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Months? The cap would have discarged in minutes most likely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Zynks wrote: »
    My meter is unfused. Is that not an issue?

I need to brush up on my knowledge

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭tomoliver

Aren't you supposed to use a resistor to discharge them or does it make a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

tomoliver wrote: »
    Aren't you supposed to use a resistor to discharge them or does it make a difference?

Small ones are fine with a screwdriver or bit of metal.
    Larger ones need a resistor and the big ones need a special tool.

Small ones are fine with a screwdriver or bit of metal.
    Larger ones need a resistor and the big ones need a special tool.

I have worked with very, very large ones. We actually had over 7MJ stored in one capacitor bank :eek:
    We discharged them with resistors.

Advertisement