Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A case of mistaken identy- calibre on licences

Options
  • 16-01-2019 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

I've seen a few errors over the years in my own and other people licences.

I never really seen many errors with standard 22lr rifles but I I've seen 22wmr licenced as calibre .220, my swift is licensed as calibre .220 (happy enough with that one), I've seen 223rem licenced as calibre .224 and a 22-250 licenced as calibre .225.

Have ye seen any errors on yer licences. I'm going for a 30cal rifle soon and I'm wondering how that will pan out.

What sort of mistakes have ye seen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I know of a 30-06 bolt action that is on a restricted licence because the Gaurds insisted that it's a bigger calibre then .30 as it is a 30-06...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

My ruger 10/22 is on a restricted licence as when i went to sub it for my cz452 the firearms officer said that it was restricted because of it being semi auto and 10 round capacity and advised me to re submit. Knowing no difference at the time i went along with it stated why i wanted it(gallery) met the super for a chat an all that mullarkey. Granted and all. Bx25 legally ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

I remember a fellow here on boards that had a licence allowing him to shoot 22mm ammo too and I thought jesus it would be nice to have a 20mm cannon. Lol an anti tank rifle lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I know of a 30-06 bolt action that is on a restricted licence because the Gaurds insisted that it's a bigger calibre then .30 as it is a 30-06...!!!

The ignorance is astounding, but more to the point, makes the PTB look complete dwongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

My tiger 10/22 is licensed as a .220.

A few years ago when we were changing to the new licenses it turned out my shotgun license had the make and serial of a random gun and some guy in Clare had a license for mine! Took 2 years and a threat to call Joe Duffy to sort that one out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Rosahane

A few years ago I bought a Laurona shotgun for my daughter that had two sets of barrels - 12G and 20G.
    The licence she got made no mention of calibre, just said Shotgun, Laurona and the serial number.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Calibre refers to the internal diameter of the bore. 22lr, 222, 223, 220 are all the same calibre.
    I agree they are all dramatically different but we’re stuck with the current interpretation of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Had an Anschutz with the same serial number as a Bruno.Was wondering why I had received no license for renewal[back in the once a year time].I had apparently "sold" it to someone up the country. Who would have thought ANSCHUTZ could be mistaken for BRNOdespite the same serial nrs???:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Sika98k wrote: »
    Calibre refers to the internal diameter of the bore. 22lr, 222, 223, 220 are all the same calibre.
    I agree they are all dramatically different but we’re stuck with the current interpretation of it.

22lr is typical .222-.223 whereas all the centrefires are .224.

How does it work with all the 308 stuff vs 300 wing mag, 300 H&H 300 Blackout or a 7.62x54 or even a 303 vs 311

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Baker.22

Not exactly a caliber mistake but my ‘Grunig & Elminger’ rifle turned into a washing machine as it’s now called a ‘Grundig’ on my license , they never put down Elminger at all !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Had an Anschutz with the same serial number as a Bruno.Was wondering why I had received no license for renewal[back in the once a year time].I had apparently "sold" it to someone up the country. Who would have thought ANSCHUTZ could be mistaken for BRNOdespite the same serial nrs???:D

Something similar to a mates problem, shootfuns by the same maker but different models with exactly the same serial numbers. Gaurds acknowledged the mistake but we're very slow to correct it, played havoc with renewals as each gun conflicted with each other on pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Not a caliber mistake but,
    I was subbing my mossberg pump action for an o/u Baikal.

Filled out all the paperwork correctly and handed it in,

Got a very snotty call from the Supers clerk a few weeks later saying she doesn't understand what im doing and that my paper work is wrong.

She told me I was already licensed for a Baikal o/u of same serial number and that if i own a pump action mossberg, im breaking the law and can go to jail..

I told her the baikal was in a RFD in Dublin and im in Waterford, and again I was told I was wrong and had a licence for the wrong gun :rolleyes:

So very slowly, I said "ok so the gun I want to buy in Dublin is already licensed in my name for the last 2 years, thats great, cancel the application so.. "

Finally after a pause the penny dropped with her and she abruptly hung up..

Turns out the FO changed my licence details on the system to speed things up before the paperwork went to the super.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

My .22 was down as 22.0 in the days of the old paper licence.

Changed by the the Sgt. who scribbled it out, wrote .22 and then stamped it!

Advertisement