Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling the Grand Canal

Options
  • 15-01-2019 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Having cycled the Royal Canal from Longford to Dublin am now looking at doing the Grand Canal from Dublin to Shannon Harbour, but there is very little info available on how much of the canal is paved towpath and how much is grass. Has anyone done this recently and have info on what difficulties to expect? Or are there any guides out there? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 2 moorek

Thanks for that, had a read and obviously the Grand is a lot rougher going than the Royal. Hopefully someone has done it in last 12 months as there is works going on at certain areas on access etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The 12th Lock to Hazelhatch might be ready in December if we're lucky. Ground yet to be broken there (works at present are a road realignment). Probably talking Q2 2020 this being Ireland.

Hazel to Ardclough or close by is open. As is 12th to 4th locks Dublin side.

Ardclough on I've been told its a bit of a cyclocross event. The part 8 submission process closes tomorrow at 5PM. There's a chunk of bureaucracy to happen then works could start there at some point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

See my posts in that thread on Shannon Harbour to Tullamore at least

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

old thread...

whats the state of the GC now west of the straffen rd ?, i know the section btw this and Sallins was being worked on ...any updates ?

I want to cycle from hazelhatch to Edenderry...done this before on a MTB ..this time will prob use a Cx bike with either28c or 38c tyres

not too worried about tyre choice, just is it open or too many detours ?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Peeling1979

Interested in this also…managed to get from Hazelhatch to Sallins but was directed off there (big machinery on the go, as far as I know there was work going on on a bridge) and didn’t know how/where to get back on again.

I want to do Lucan - Edenderry - Longwood - Lucan soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 The Helpful Engineer

I cycled the section between Sallins and Hazelhazel with two friends recently – two weeks ago. The section between Sallins and the Straffan Road is being still worked on to make the Blueway. This section has been gravelled for the full length but the stones are large and sharp. The final layer isn’t in place anywhere along this route. We cycled using mountain bikes and unfortunately one of us had a puncture from the sharp stones. On the way back we used the normal roads as we didn’t want to risk having a puncture again.

If cycling from Dublin towards the west, a small section of the tow path is closed just after you cycle under the railway bridge. This is to allow the constriction of a big and retaining earth works. There is a track to the left which will bring you to the main road, it is only a short cycle from there to Sallins. However there is gate with a small gap that is relatively easy to get your bike through, but a heavily laden bike might be more difficult. You can rejoin the Tow path in Sallins village, but you will be joining back on the far bank.

The Blueway works are slow and it seems like it will be a few months before they are complete. The builders are concentrating on the bridge works in Sallins and there is not much activity on the remaining long stretch to the Staffin Road.

I cycle to Dublin from Sallins for work, once a week in the Summer, but only when the weather is good. I will really welcome the Blueway when complete. However there is no sign of the Hazelhatch to Lucan section starting. The towpath there is not suitable for cycling imo, so I re-join the main road and cycle via Peamount. This is a relatively dangerous route with narrow roads and poor surfaces. 

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Peeling1979

This is brilliant HE, thanks so much for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 murphymick

I heard there’s kissing gates on certain sections. Ridiculous if there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

Was getting a bit annoyed with joining at adamstown for the commute, so decided to try going via celbridge and joined at the cliff of lyons, basically hazelhatch. hazelhatch to adamstown on 38c road tyres was fun but I'd not do it as a commute again with laptop in pannier bag... Off camber, overgrown, rock and muddy, would be nice on mtb. No signs of any work going on on this section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

Hi,

whats the new section from Ponsonby bridge to Sallins like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

All smooth gravel or tarmac from Hazelhatch to Sallins.

R

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I did it recently on my winter bike (in the dark) and it was absolutely lovely. It was after some heavy rain but the surface didn't have much in the way of standing water.

Advertisement