Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Overtime / evening hours

• 14-01-2019 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hello! I am on full hours in a secondary school and I teach 2 foreign languages in a nearby town. I see my local school is desperate for a sub in these 2 languages (and has been since before Xmas). If a sub cannot be found, does the Dept ever sanction evening hours?

I live right beside this school so in theory could do extra hours there, both on my short days and in the evening. Does the Dept allow a teacher to do more than 22 hours? What happens if a sub cannot be found? Particularly as oral examinations are rapidly approaching? Do they just take an unqualified candidate?

Many thanks for your advice on this! Not looking to take anyone's job, just wondering if I could help the school out and earn a little extra for a few weeks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

williaint wrote: »
    Hello! I am on full hours in a secondary school and I teach 2 foreign languages in a nearby town. I see my local school is desperate for a sub in these 2 languages (and has been since before Xmas). If a sub cannot be found, does the Dept ever sanction evening hours?

I live right beside this school so in theory could do extra hours there, both on my short days and in the evening. Does the Dept allow a teacher to do more than 22 hours? What happens if a sub cannot be found? Particularly as oral examinations are rapidly approaching? Do they just take an unqualified candidate?

Many thanks for your advice on this! Not looking to take anyone's job, just wondering if I could help the school out and earn a little extra for a few weeks.

You'd have to clear it with both principals. A principal mightnt like you teaching in a neighbouring school when you 'should' be in your own during your 'short days.
    Some take the view that you're paid to be in school for the full day irrespective of class contact time... some don't take that view.

Advertisement