Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

McDonald's Introduce Vegan Happy Meal

Options
  • 05-01-2019 5:35pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

and a vegan wrap too. https://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/mcdonalds-launches-a-vegetarian-and-dairyfree-happy-meal-in-ireland-37675653.html?fbclid=IwAR1emzQaX4OZzSQseWiEHO1LN0jpkP_P106SN8YTnovAk044SU8C4aUSlRI
    Fast food chain McDonalds has announced its first ever vegetarian meal for children, which is available from today.

A new adult spicy veggie wrap has also been launched, and the two new additions are in response to the growing customer demand for more meat-free meal choices, McDonald's says.

Duncan Cruttenden, menu director at McDonald’s UK & Ireland said: “Our commitment is to offer great food, great choice and a great experience to our customers and we are constantly asking them how we can evolve and improve."

The new Happy Meal veggie wrap, a toasted tortilla wrap with a red pesto goujon, ketchup and lettuce, contains 209 calories.

While the new spicy veggie wrap, a toasted tortilla wrap with two red pesto goujons, a spicy relish, tomato, lettuce and red onion, contains 364 calories.

All ingredients in the two new vegetarian items are dairy free and vegan.

However, McDonald's said: "The tortilla wraps pass through the same toaster as our buns, which do contain milk."

The McDonald's move into vegan offerings follows on from UK chain Greggs launching its first ever vegan sausage roll.

Sainsbury's has also launched a new range of vegan foods including vegan "smoked salmon" made with konjac root, and vegan "shroomdogs", made of mushrooms treated to resemble chorizo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I believe M&S have a huge new vegan range too... hopefully some of it will make it to Ireland and hopefully some of it is gluten free!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I believe M&S have a huge new vegan range too... hopefully some of it will make it to Ireland and hopefully some of it is gluten free!
    It's here already! Made a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Why would a vegan step inside the door of McDonald's, vegan meal or not? That doesn't make sense, given their core products, and their demand for the mass slaughter of animals in the most industrial way possible.

Seems like a massive conflict to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Hoboo wrote: »
    Why would a vegan step inside the door of McDonald's, vegan meal or not? That doesn't make sense, given their core products, and their demand for the mass slaughter of animals in the most industrial way possible.

I agree, it’s huge. We have a local butcher who sells vegetarian stuff alongside his animal flesh. I can’t even step inside his shop, let alone finance his activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

It's here already! Made a thread.

Just seeing that now. They look good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I find a sizable proportion of the vegan community are hypocrites. Can't wear wool or leather because the poor sheep and cows...Yet they'll buy clothes in penny's and no worry about child labour

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I find a sizable proportion of the vegan community are hypocrites. Can't wear wool or leather because the poor sheep and cows...Yet they'll buy clothes in penny's and no worry about child labour

You'd rather see children out of work ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's just whataboutism, people can and do care about both issues. I'm wearing clothes from an ethical clothes shop in Dublin right now. Even if somebody didn't work on something like that, actively working for some issues and not every other possible issue that exists is just the laws of physics, not being a hypocrite. Veganism is about doing better, not being some evangelical person on all issues suddenly which is impossible.

For people that don't see why we should support things like this: I don't like this dude but I agree with him about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIIF3Y3qMLg McDonald's only have a menu so large, more vegan stuff on it is fairly huge due to the market they reach and less meat on the menu. There are more McDonalds restaurants than all vegan restaurants in the world combined, they will serve millions of vegan meals now.

It also helps it be more affordable for people who wanna eat out and aren't too well off. Same arguments were aimed at vegan Ben and Jerry's, now half their shelf space is vegan in my local Tesco, half way around the world from where it first sold and is selling well, even my non-vegan friends are eating it.

Not only did people in the US supporting them increase the selection for people around the world it's also taken non-vegan flavours off shelves. Corporations are corporations; they change due to money and they will not change overnight, you need then to start having one vegan option, two etc. You can't just ignore them and hope supporting your local hippy place will change the world faster. You want the world to change? You work inside the confines of it and make it change with your money. These mainstream places, that's what tonnes of people care about, brand and convenience.

You think non-vegan people were eating the vegan ice cream before Ben and Jerry's came here? They won't even TRY it when I offer it. Never underestimate brands and convenience for furthering our cause for the common person, and we are the ones who are the initial demand to get these things off the ground.

Another point is this is something cheap people can get, for example the McDonalds vegan burger that they just launched in some countries is a third of the price of any burger I can get out now and a lot of people can't afford that, especially families with young children who they like to treat out to something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Aren't they two very different causes? Not sure you know what hypocrite means. I'm spending a night in a hotel in Dublin next week. Should I give my room to a homeless person instead because I'm vegan?
    Personally I like that McDonald's have vegan options but I would not eat there for various reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

eezipc wrote: »
    Aren't they two very different causes? Not sure you know what hypocrite means. I'm spending a night in a hotel in Dublin next week. Should I give my room to a homeless person instead because I'm vegan?
    Personally I like that McDonald's have vegan options but I would not eat there for various reasons.

Yes child labour/slavery should be more important

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

TA makes good points: my personal choice is to avoid “meaty” commercial interests as far as possible but I do see expanding vegan options as an overall Good Thing.

Your life is a journey - perhaps some people may start thinking about their food choices more seriously as a result of trying a McD-type option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

OSI wrote: »
    Maybe they're with family/friends who want to eat in McDonalds or McDonalds is convenient to the group at the time.

Absolutely. Listen I'm not having a go, I understand the arguments, but they have a common theme, convenience (I don't for one second buy into Vegan food changing McDonalds one falafel wrap at a time).

I was under the impression 'Vegans' were also anti animal killing full stop, and they would prefer to trade off convenience to uphold their morals and beliefs. Thats a very large brush to paint every vegan with I concede. I just thought being Vegan was a complete and total lifestyle choice, not just what food one eats, clothes worn etc. I'm learning. Excuse my ignorance.

Advertisement