Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beyond Meat Comes to Ireland

• 05-01-2019 4:26pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Spotted them in a few Tesco's recently:

IjvrMsSl.jpg

Very expensive but excellent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Spotted them in a few Tesco's recently:

IjvrMsSl.jpg

Very expensive but excellent.

Thanks, I look forward to trying them.

The burgers are nice. Any other products promised?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't know but hopefully the sausages follow as people seem to like them even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

What is in these? Plant based? How?

I did read that trading standards and the ASA in the UK are going to go to town on some vegan products and brands.

They may be forced make it clearer that the products are gluten or meat free.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

prinzeugen wrote: »

I did read that trading standards and the ASA in the UK are going to go to town on some vegan products and brands.

Why just vegan products? They are usually more honest than non-vegan. They have to be (think finings, for instance). But as the market grows, dishonesty will creep in.

A tightening up of what information is given on labels should be welcomed by all, especially standardised nutritional labeling, all products used in processing, origin of ingredients, even of packaging imo etc. If that’s too much on a small product it should at least be available on websites.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

prinzeugen wrote: »

Pea protein, oils, beetroot, some other stuff.

I don't know but hopefully the sausages follow as people seem to like them even more.

That's what I'm hoping. Any veggie gluten free sausages are a bit rank (my taste I know!) and I like a fried brekkie sometimes. Dee's are nice but they don't fill that gap!

Bujo in Sandymount are now the first restaurant here to be selling Beyond Meat burgers
    https://www.allthefood.ie/single-post/2019/01/08/BuJo-launch-Vegan-Burger-that-Bleeds

34nJJF6l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Had one of these tonight.

Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Wow I was really impressed with this. My friend who has been a vegetarian for 15 years and vegan for 2 years didn't like it cause it tasted too much like meat.

I can see why so many big financial investors are backing this company. Expensive but worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Unearthly wrote: »
    Wow I was really impressed with this. My friend who has been a vegetarian for 15 years and vegan for 2 years didn't like it cause it tasted too much like meat.

I can see why so many big financial investors are backing this company. Expensive but worth it

It’s the only reason it exists. If there was serious money to be made in broccoli, we’d all be vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Bujo in Sandymount are now the first restaurant here to be selling Beyond Meat burgers
    https://www.allthefood.ie/single-post/2019/01/08/BuJo-launch-Vegan-Burger-that-Bleeds

34nJJF6l.jpg

A properly cooked burger does not 'bleed' no matter the hype being put out tbh ...

And is it just me or does the term 'patty' make others want to throw same out the window?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Are these sold in supervalu or spar

goat2 wrote: »
    Are these sold in supervalu or spar

Think it's only Tesco at the moment

gozunda wrote: »
    A properly cooked burger does not 'bleed' no matter the hype being put out tbh ...

Not a fan of the fake blood. Not necessary at all

I've had it a few times, no idea what they are even talking about with the "fake blood", just is like a normal burger. I guess it means the juiciness when raw is similar to myoglobin, that has to be purely marketing since I don;t know anybody who would be craving that, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,180 ✭✭✭jh79

Some questions over the lack of evidence for the safety of the chemical added to make the burger bleed.

They used GM yeast too in the process. I wouldn't have a problem with GM food, it's perfectly safe but would of assumed their target audience wouldn't like its use.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/08/fda-gets-salty-with-darling-start-up-behind-impossible-burger-that-bleeds/

They got FDA approval subsequently. Vegans are a diverse set of people and you are right that a lot of them do not like GMO. At the same time a lot of them do, and view it no differently than any frankenfoods we eat today, just because they were made with breeding selection or radiation mutation over GM doesn't make them especially different to me. Amazing technology with plenty of possible uses. Insulin now comes from bacteria instead of just animals thanks to GM etc.

They got FDA approval subsequently. Vegans are a diverse set of people and you are right that a lot of them do not like GMO. At the same time a lot of them do, and view it no differently than any frankenfoods we eat today, just because they were made with breeding selection or radiation mutation over GM doesn't make them especially different to me. Amazing technology with plenty of possible uses. Insulin now comes from bacteria instead of just animals thanks to GM etc.

I always presumed that the point of a whole food plant based diet is that it would be low in highly processed ingredients and additives. Tbh I really can't see the attraction of a food product which is so chemically 'enhanced' as to be unsuitable for those choosing a better / healthier diet and lifestyle (whether vegan or otherwise)

I always presumed that the point of a whole food plant based diet is that it would be low in highly processed ingredients and additives. Tbh I ally can't see the attraction of a food product which is so chemically 'enhanced' as to be unsuitable for those choosing both a better and healthier diet and lifestyle.

You've fallen for the "natural fallacy". Just because something is chemically enhanced doesn't automatically make it bad for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Simi

I always presumed that the point of a whole food plant based diet is that it would be low in highly processed ingredients and additives. Tbh I ally can't see the attraction of a food product which is so chemically 'enhanced' as to be unsuitable for those choosing both a better and healthier diet and lifestyle.

There are lots of reasons to try vegetarian or vegan foods, not just because they're heathier. This product aims to imitate a real burger grease and all, and it does a reasonably good job.

For the few times a year I cook burgers at home I'd happily switch to these.

Simi wrote: »
    There are lots of reasons to try vegetarian or vegan foods, not just because they're heathier. This product aims to imitate a real burger grease and all, and it does a reasonably good job.

For the few times a year I cook burgers at home I'd happily switch to these.

Their not healthier though. The easiest way to a balanced diet is to include meat and dairy. A vegan diet can achieve the same but its a lot more work to achieve the exact same health outcomes.

Anyone got the barcode for these? Local Tesco don't have them but will order them in for my other half if we can provide the barcode

Cheers.

jh79 wrote: »
    You've fallen for the "natural fallacy". Just because something is chemically enhanced doesn't automatically make it bad for you.

I didn't say it was or wasnt. It such that these highly processed products are hardly good poster children for veganism which is most often promoted as whole food plant based diet ...

Simi wrote: »
    There are lots of reasons to try vegetarian or vegan foods, not just because they're heathier. This product aims to imitate a real burger grease and all, and it does a reasonably good job. For the few times a year I cook burgers at home I'd happily switch to these.

And yet veganism and especially a whole food plant based diet (v. highly processed foods) are promoted for that reason.

Personally I don't eat any type of artifical burger or otherwise.

Crap food is crap food at the end of the day ...

I think it's interesting times ahead. On one hand the more vegan options, the more variety of products means less people will consuming animal products which is the core aim of vegans so this is a positive.

On the otherhand as the market grows and becomes more lucrative, it will be exploited with unhealthy food and those easy to have options.

I did enjoy the fact that the easy option of ordering a fast food pizza or chipper instead of cooking was no longer an option as it helped me stay on track. These were pitfalls I constantly fell into when I ate meat and dairy.

Not sure about the Beyond burger healthiness, haven't properly examined the contents but I will have it maybe once a week as a treat and continue with the whole foods for rest of week.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Anyone got the barcode for these? Local Tesco don't have them but will order them in for my other half if we can provide the barcode

Cheers.
    Here you go, strange that they would ask for that though, they sure would know themselves.

eoExYcs.jpg
    I think it's interesting times ahead. On one hand the more vegan options, the more variety of products means less people will consuming animal products which is the core aim of vegans so this is a positive.

On the otherhand as the market grows and becomes more lucrative, it will be exploited with unhealthy food and those easy to have options.

I did enjoy the fact that the easy option of ordering a fast food pizza or chipper instead of cooking was no longer an option as it helped me stay on track. These were pitfalls I constantly fell into when I ate meat and dairy.

Not sure about the Beyond burger healthiness, haven't properly examined the contents but I will have it maybe once a week as a treat and continue with the whole foods for rest of week.

It's a sad fact that you'll get people to eat that kind of food over healthy food so it is the most effective way of getting more vegan food eaten, alas we are but human and crave our magnums.

eoExYcs.jpg

It's a sad fact that you'll get people to eat that kind of food over healthy food so it is the most effective way of getting more vegan food eaten, alas we are but human and crave our magnums.

The ingredient list alone would make me run a mile. Tbh I reckon the novelty factor with these types of 'vegan' foods won't stand up to any real change in the dietary preferences for the majority of people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

So they're made in the US, flown to UK to be packed & then sent to Ireland to be sold.
    And this is more environmentally sustainable choice??????

• Advertisement

The ingredient list alone would make me run a mile. Tbh I reckon the novelty factor with these types of 'vegan' foods won't stand up to any real change in the dietary preferences for the majority of people

It's a burger, people don't expect to look like Thor /Wonder Woman after consuming it.

The sale rates would suggest these type of products are only going one way. Will it hugely impact the meat and dairy industry? Probably not when you see vegetarian still accounts for a small enough % of the market.

What I will say is that the majority of people are simply just not aware a product like this exists. My workplace is very big, but I bet only a handful of people would know what a Beyond burger is. At the moment only Tesco is selling them, and my local one you had to be looking for them specifically to even notice them. On top of that the average customer is not aware that there are now vegan options out there that can mimic meat texture so even by chance they saw it, they probably wouldn't try it as they've no marketing recollection of it, or any friends or family reviews. These are the obstacles it has

I first only heard of them in South Park when Cartman tricked his vegan girlfriend into eating kfc by writing Beyond before it :pac:

Advertisement