Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wind / Rainfall Warning Mon 17th pm / Tues 18th am Dec 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Very strong gusts in North Cork. Worse than weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

All calm in Dublin city centre at mo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

12mm of rain in the last 2 hours in Castlebar, max gust of 87 km/hr and pressure is down to 991.78 hPa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Winds and gusts getting stronger again now in cork city. Cork airport reporting gusts of 41kts atm

• Registered Users Posts: 2 side show bob 1

Far windier now than it was last Sat. Really strong gusts. Kinsale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

Thought it was interesting to compare this wind event to Storm Callum from last October 12th, using the met.ie wind forecast model (I picked the times that showed peak winds in my location). Here's Callum first:

jnjDsci.jpg

Forecast for tomorrow 5am next:

BLPdSUg.jpg

Interesting to see a country of two halves by 5am! The wind field for Callum was much more extensive and pushed much further inland than what is forecast tonight/tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

A lot windier here in East Clare than Saturday. More sustained as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max Gust of 69km/h at my station which is higher than during Deirdre. More of a storm feel out there that you get from these deep Atlantic Low Pressure systems with huge wind fields. An interesting night ahead

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Belmullet 34 gust 57 kts, 5000 km vis in moderate rain.

ukmo_nat_fax_2018121718_000.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Very windy in Cork City at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes indeed quite wild in Cork now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Light breeze here outside Newport, Mayo.
    Max gust today for me was 38km which is normal for West Mayo this time of year.
    What isn't normal is all the rain. Most of the afternoon where I was working in Castlebar and all the way home it was just hammering it down. Newport to Castlebar road is like a river in places.
    Rain guage is out of action but there's a 10lt paint tin out the back that's half full, it was empty this morn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Annagh Hill co galway 17/12/18 19.55 temperature 10°C it's raining cats and dogs
    slb1Uso.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Lashing rain in Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

m17 wrote: »
    Annagh Hill co galway 18/12/18 19.55 temperature 10°C it's raining cats and dogs
    slb1Uso.jpg

But today is the 17th :)

roches point gusting up to 49knots atm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice squall line feature moving inland from Clare / Galway

Had 12 mm here since about 17.00, lot of water on the roads around Tralee , bit of a lull in the wind for a while, picking up again , gusting up around 70 km/h now

4EL6jsL.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Plenty of rain to come from the trailing front.

klMSlI5.gif

V1yrO4m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sustained (gusting) high winds - worse than anything Saturday tbh. Rain hasn't let up either. Things going bang outside. Havn't checked to see what's came loose yet...

North Cork Limerick Border

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Airport warnings

CASEMENT EIME AD WRNG 01 VALID 172000/180900 SFC WIND S 25-30KT MAX 45-50 =
    KNOCK EIKN AD WRNG 01 VALID 171600/180300 SFC WIND S 20-25KT MAX 40-45 =
    SHANNON EINN AD WRNG 01 VALID 171500/180300 SFC WIND S 20-25KT MAX 40-45 =

• Advertisement

ECM 12Z latest 24 hr Accumulated precipitation levels

ysESeX0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s really wild here in south carlow. Must be the squall line?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,819 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Much stronger wind here in Laois tonight than on Saturday , wet, windy and wild .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Wet and wild now.

Horizontal hail and rain, winds stronger as are the gusts, power out too.

600 ft ASL MacGillycuddy's Reeks - North of Sneem - Kerry

rain just starting now in cork city and gusts have picked up too it seems.,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I'm surprised Met Eireann aren't saying much about rainfall....40mm is high by any standard but with fields waterlogged it equals significant flooding for me.
    I'd say the dam in Cork will be at breaking point by tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Strong enough in East Galway, damn gate is rattling away. Had to hold onto one of the kids earlier when we got caught by a gust going to the car, thought she was going to be blown over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I'm surprised Met Eireann aren't saying much about rainfall....40mm is high by any standard but with fields waterlogged it equals significant flooding for me.
    I'd say the dam in Cork will be at breaking point by tomorrow night

There's a yellow warning for rainfall?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Very wet, windy and mild in Carlow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Tis lovely and mild. Some amount of water though. Saw fair bit of road flooding in the usual spots on drive to Oughterard.

Advertisement