Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Green flag, wonder how long this will last - still looks pretty bad. Ryan Cullen is currently 2nd in LMP2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Harika wrote: »
    Behind safety car, still raining. Four hours to go. Alonso on the lead lap and 2nd.

Never liked Alonso in his Renault Part 1 years, but now he's gone you see what a talent F1 has lost.

Maybe he burned his own bridges with the top teams, but we will never know the full story.

Red Bull for 2019 i'd love to know what went on there.

Irrespective of what many may think of 2007, it was clear McLaren favoured Hamilton over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Irrespective of what many may think of 2007, it was clear McLaren favoured Hamilton over ham.

Hilariously you can point Alonsos downfall to one point in history. Hungary 2007. If he didn't lose his calm there and picked the right battles, he could now be the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Hilariously you can point Alonsos downfall to one point in history. Hungary 2007. If he didn't lose his calm there and picked the right battles, he could now be the man.
    With support in the team he might win 2007. 2008 was not a clear Hamilton year. 2010 one bad call. 2011 make a pre contract to replace Schumacher.

2007 is where the downfall began, or even 2005 when he signed the McLaren contract.

It reminded me of the way Mansell and Dennis didn’t get along.

Renault part 2 they weren’t competitive despite the 2 wins.

Ferrari 2010 wasn’t his fault but Ferrari’s

Do you believe there was a pre contract with Hamilton in 2011 to replace Schumacher?

Mercedes did offer Schumacher another contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The Alonso/McLaren relationship had started falling apart before Hungary, in my mind it was Monaco. Alonso got pole and won, and Hamilton and his dad acted like Hamilton should have won. And the team didn't put them in their place.

Two hours left in Daytona. Terrible weather, fantastic racing. Particularly between Alonso and Nasr for the overall lead.

• Advertisement

Seems like a restart is unlikely.

No restart - Alonso wins

Won by Alonso and Jordan Taylor after the Red flag didn't go away

Nasr must be gutted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Won by Alonso and Jordan Taylor after the Red flag didn't go away

And Koybashi and van der Zander.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I was always a Kobayashi fan in F1! Glad to see him doing well at this and at Le Mans last year.

antodeco wrote: »

I was always a Kobayashi fan in F1! Glad to see him doing well at this and at Le Mans last year.

Now wondering who linked those drivers up, like kamui is a Toyota works driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Less than two weeks to the first car launch of the year :cool:

GP tracks threaten to leave.
    There is lack of clarity on new initiatives in F1 and a lack of engagement with promoters on their implementation

New races should not be introduced to the detriment of existing events although the association is encouraged by the alternative business models being offered to prospective venues.

Miami is paying a profit sharing scheme with Liberty while the rest of the tracks have to pay 10s of millions to host a race.
    Also TV rights were stated as paywalls cost them money.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/motor-racing/formula1/f1-owners-promoter-rebellion-free-to-air-tv-new-season-2019-liberty-media-for-sale-a8751746.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

20190129_115822.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Erm, explanation please?

flazio wrote: »
    Erm, explanation please?

Looks like Kubica's new helmet design.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/211833-williams-fw42-2019-title-contender/

Looks like what Kubica's helmet design is like and the sponsor Orlen involved too.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Not sure how official it is, but this could be the first glimpse at the new for 2019 helmet spec. Not that the strip above the visor is gone.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    There's a few holes above the visor though that suggest to me there's extra parts to be attached to that helmet yet.

Those holes would be for ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Merc announcement on the 13th of Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 23,147 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

OSI wrote: »
    There's a few holes above the visor though that suggest to me there's extra parts to be attached to that helmet yet.

Yup, those are vents, you can see them in the link below, which also explains the new regulations for safety standards with helmets this coming year.

image.JPG

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.new-f1-helmet-safety-standard-to-be-introduced-for-2019.6fF05YDXlCEu6M2yIKqEYa.html

EDIT - Also seems that the helmet above of Kubicas was just a gift to the sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

pjohnson wrote: »

Thanks for posting that.
    An interesting read.
    He is a good racing driver and his career is far from over.

Sauber has officially become Alfa Romeo Racing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/25898525/sauber-f1-team-changes-name-alfa-romeo-racing

The lack of ability to keep news from leaking in Italian press offices never fails to satisfy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe that's kind of sad just as Sauber were starting to come good. I know its the same company , people and all but this is now just basically Ferrari light now is it not? They are using the same engine and no doubt will be using more of the same now as well. I wonder what this means for HAAS going forward? They were Ferrari light.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Awe that's kind of sad just as Sauber were starting to come good. I know its the same company , people and all but this is now just basically Ferrari light now is it not? They are using the same engine and no doubt will be using more of the same now as well. I wonder what this means for HAAS going forward? They were Ferrari light.

Sauber was long gone, latest with the departure of Peter Sauber. And I don't think much changes except the name. With Kimi and Giovanazzi moved to Sauber beforehand it was already clear the impact they had on Sauber.
    Alfa Romeo Racing is the brand ambassador now, while Haas will stay more independent with Ferrari parts supplied. Was a strange move by them to deny Giovanazzi and sack Grosjean or Magnussen instead, but shows their distinction from Ferrari.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

pjohnson wrote: »

Having met Brendon when he was driving for Murphy Prototypes a few years back and the year before he made the jump to the Porsche LMP1 factory team and followed him in LMP2 and LMP1 all I can say is the guy is incredibly nice and laid back and fast, very fast!
    Hopefully he gets a good drive somewhere down the line

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement