Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying & selling tractors

Options
  • 12-11-2018 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

There is loads of information of how to buy and sell cars for profit but none for Tractors & Machinery. Have a idea of buying Tractors in auctions in the uk and selling them here for a profit and having a small amount of stock. Would any helpful person be able to tell me the process of doing this , thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭newmember2

coopman wrote: »
    There is loads of information of how to buy and sell cars for profit but none for Tractors & Machinery. Have a idea of buying Tractors in auctions in the uk and selling them here for a profit and having a small amount of stock. Would any helpful person be able to tell me the process of doing this , thanks.

Might be better off having this moved to -

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1068

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

To keep any UK registered vehicles in Ireland for >30 days you'll need a TAN.

What sort of facilities have you to deal with tractor repairs and warranty work?

If there was money to be made bringing in stock from the UK someone would already be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Del2005 wrote: »
    To keep any UK registered vehicles in Ireland for >30 days you'll need a TAN.

What sort of facilities have you to deal with tractor repairs and warranty work?

If there was money to be made bringing in stock from the UK someone would already be doing it.

The tractor dealers here in mayo have been doing it for a lifetime so there is certainly money in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

mickdw wrote: »
    The tractor dealers here in mayo have been doing it for a lifetime so there is certainly money in it.

I've had 3 tractors so far, all UK imports, my cousin imports tractors, he seems to do OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

Of course there's money to be made. There's also the chance of losing your shirt! Most buyers will expect some degree of warranty and this has the potential of being problematic. However if you know your tractors and have a decent relationship with your usual suppliers you should be fine.
    The machinery game can tie up lots of money in stock with only small windows to shift items. Tractors at least can tip away all year. You'd want to be VAT registered from the outset. And of course be well versed on the Margin Scheme as you will surely have trade ins. Bigger dealers tend to try to have something to offer the farmer during every season as well as tractors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 tractors240

I'd like to start doing the same as I am very interested in tractors and have lots of free time I'm just wondering if you have since started up.
    And could you let me know if its worth it.
    Thanks

Advertisement