Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All things Mavic Air

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

ozmo wrote: »
    Anything on the box to indicate this? And does it appear to be functional in the DJI Software for EU when you have the model with the correct hardware?

thanks.

Nothing on the box. Where should I see in the app?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Just checked mine, 1N. Bought it bricks and mortar start of August.

Had the great idea to take it out at 2 o' clock this morning, inevitably crashed it 110m away and 22m up. Just retrieved it there now it had wedged between a branch and trunk of an ash tree at chest height. It took a fair few knocks going by the marks on it but working perfectly, cleaned up as new. Really impressed as I was fearing the worst.

Lesson learnt.

Just to add, the DJI app only put me in the general vicinity under"Find My Drone", it did give me the choice of switching to Google maps which pinpointed it to within 1m(of last connection), granted it could have been anywhere after that at that height.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Okay, Fairly certain I will be buying the Air 2 before December, but I am still unsure/easy about the EU rules and what the drone does or does not have.
    Can anyone sum up the latest, if anything has changed?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

jogdish wrote:
    Okay, Fairly certain I will be buying the Air 2 before December, but I am still unsure/easy about the EU rules and what the drone does or does not have. Can anyone sum up the latest, if anything has changed?

As far as I can see, the Air sense(aircraft warning system) is missing for EU and we have shorter range (4km). I'm really thinking of pulling the trigger too, but with winter on the way, I'm probably going to wait until the new year..

tedpan wrote: »
    As far as I can see, the Air sense(aircraft warning system) is missing for EU and we have shorter range (4km). I'm really thinking of pulling the trigger too, but with winter on the way, I'm probably going to wait until the new year..

See my post above, re missing air sense now being included again depending on model numbers.
    Ya rain in Sept./October but there is usually nice weather at some stage in December (i.e. shut up and take my money :p )

• Advertisement

jogdish wrote:
    See my post above, re missing air sense now being included again depending on model numbers. Ya rain in Sept./October but there is usually nice weather at some stage in December (i.e. shut up and take my money )

Yeah, I suppose you could get lucky unless of course they list which model you're actually going to receive. Agreed, it's only money. The MA2 will bring you more joy :D

Yeah, I suppose you could get lucky unless of course they list which model you're actually going to receive. Agreed, it's only money. The MA2 will bring you more joy :D
    It's an online order, I can exercise my right to return after a quick peek at the model number.

jogdish wrote:
    It's an online order, I can exercise my right to return after a quick peek at the model number.

Indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I got the flymore kit from amazon Germany last week and it had air sense on it if that's any help to you ordering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

Is the Flymore kit worth the extra?
    How about DJI CARE REFRESH would that be a worthwhile investment?

I've owned three Drones in the past, just sold the Phantom 4 pro the other day. mainly due to lack of use.

Might get something smaller for fun, the Mavic Air 2 looks good at a pretty ok price.

• Advertisement

Fionn wrote: »
    Is the Flymore kit worth the extra?
    How about DJI CARE REFRESH would that be a worthwhile investment?

I've owned three Drones in the past, just sold the Phantom 4 pro the other day. mainly due to lack of use.

Might get something smaller for fun, the Mavic Air 2 looks good at a pretty ok price.
    I'll chip in without any great advice.
    Fly more : Originally not for it, and didn't get it with my Air 1, but Air 2's batteries are more expensive (1 was plenty for me, 2 fine but over kill for me ), the ND filters are nice, the bag is meh, much more prefer a cut out foam carry you will get on amazon for a fraction. BUT the value proposition of the batts and eventual re sale value (people go for the fly more in my experience)

Care refresh: My Air 1 was sent back under normal warranty and got a new one back, at which point I bought care refresh, never used it. Be sensible flyer its expensive should be fine. If you need to get that shot and it's working for you, well then maybe worth it. For me it's my cool super expensive toy that I treat better than my non existent wife.

I know I have asked here before but on the off chance there is any update ( searching on google is hard to filter old/new info, based on some site reuploading old info)

What is the current status regards the missing EU cert for an AIr 2?

If I got one, when would it become nerf'ed in terms of range?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

jogdish wrote: »
    I know I have asked here before but on the off chance there is any update ( searching on google is hard to filter old/new info, based on some site reuploading old info)

What is the current status regards the missing EU cert for an AIr 2?

If I got one, when would it become nerf'ed in terms of range?

The Air 2 has a different, better transmission system so you're likely to get up to several KM of range (like the Mavic Pros, for example)

theothernt wrote: »
    The Air 2 has a different, better transmission system so you're likely to get up to several KM of range (like the Mavic Pros, for example)

I know about the OCUsync, was just asking about the legal side re A2(?)/C classes

NEw mavic mini I see, at 600 kinda steep given the better features of the mavic 2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

NEw mavic mini I see, at 600 kinda steep given the better features of the mavic 2 ?

I thought that as well, I want it but am gonna try and see can I get a deal anywhere!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭ozmo

Yes - the main thing the Mini 2 has is the 249g weight as thats important to be able fly in some countries- or for someone new to the hobby its an amazing entry point.

But the Mavic Air 2 for the extra cost gives still a lot more.

“Roll it back”

Yes - the main thing the Mini 2 has is the 249g weight as thats important to be able fly in some countries- or for someone new to the hobby its an amazing entry point.

But the Mavic Air 2 for the extra cost gives still a lot more.

So, in Ireland, if I get the Mini 2 will I have to register it as it's 249g in weight?

Thanks,
    Mark

madmoe wrote: »
    So, in Ireland, if I get the Mini 2 will I have to register it as it's 249g in weight?

Guidelines are constantly changing - think it all changes at the end of the year 2020 when we sync rules with EU - but for now in IE "You must register as a drone operator with the IAA if your drone weighs over 250 grams or if it has a camera or sensor."
    (https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones/drones-regulations-and-guidance-details-page)

Here is a summary of the rules a 249g drone is except from in other countries (at the time the vid was made of course)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozTB-i9qDNI&ab_channel=IaninLondon

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Thanks,
    Mark
    Short answer... yes

• Advertisement

I see the DJI black friday 'deals' are up:

Mavic Air 2 (standard) now with 'free' ND filter set - meh

Mavic Air 2 combo, claims the ND filters are a free gift but they were always part of the pack, don't think the price has changed other than the €17 discount that appeared months back.

Kinda disappointed. Might be tempted by an Osmo if only for gadget potential.

Hi all,
    I want to buy the H landing pad for my Mavic Air 2, any recommendations as to where is the best place to buy it? What size should I get?

Can they be bought here in Ireland or is Amazon the best option.

Many thanks,
    M

Hi all,
    I want to buy the H landing pad for my Mavic Air 2, any recommendations as to where is the best place to buy it? What s..

Dont know sorry, but can I suggest, if you dont know it - practicing hand landing and launching. it means you can land in any areas without drone getting dirty or stuck in long grass and no extra equipment to carry.

“Roll it back”

Dont know sorry, but can I suggest, if you dont know it - practicing hand landing and launching. it means you can land in any areas without drone getting dirty or stuck in long grass and no extra equipment to carry.

I have seen the hand landing and launching in YouTube but with the Mini and Mini 2, is the Mavic Air 2 not too big for that?

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭Homer

They’re available on adverts.ie for between €15-20 .. just search drone landing pad

is the Mavic Air 2 not too big
    M

Nah - I do it with a big Phantom 4(hold leg). And mavic’s- Lands on palm of hand.
    I never land any my drones on the ground.

Oh- i power down with controller - I dont do that thing some do on yt flipping them over to stop the motors. Seems unkind lol.

“Roll it back”

Nah - I do it with a big Phantom 4(hold leg). And mavic’s- Lands on palm of hand.
    I never land any my drones on the ground.

Oh- i power down with controller - I dont do that thing some do on yt flipping them over to stop the motors. Seems unkind lol.

Any vids of you doing it on YouTube!? ;-)

Any vids of you doing it on YouTube!? ;-)

Not me - found this though - exactly what I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp6nf0kwOZo&ab_channel=AirPhotography

And this guy shows how not to do it (flipping drone)..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ztvM9cBO2s&ab_channel=CarsonMiller

“Roll it back”

Ya, flipping the Drone crap was popularized (as far as i know ) by Casey Neistat on youtube. Looks cool. Pity you hear the drone motor cry in agony as it trys to right itself. Then again he seems rich and gets drones sent to him being an influencer.

I reckon for most of us here its a super expensive toy that we protect.

• Advertisement

... Looks cool. Pity you hear the drone motor cry in agony as it trys to right itself. Then again he seems rich and gets drones sent to him being an influencer.

Yeah - what's cooler though is - I like also not making a scene when flying - its so much quicker procedure when the drone comes in to you and you just pick it from the air fold it up as you walk on - shows anyone that might be watching you have control of it.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement