Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abandoned Jackdaws

• 10-06-2018 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

We have a large tree in our yard and over the last week I noticed 3 young jackdaws hanging around the base of it. Anytime I went near them I could hear other jackdaws in the tree making a lot of noise so I just left them. The birds did not look very young so I figured they were at the stage where they were about to learn to fly etc.

Anyway today I went around the yard looking for them and found two dead in some long grass and the third alive at the base of the tree. When I go near the live one the jackdaws in the tree starting making loud noises.

I'm not really sure what to do here. Are the parents intentionally leaving the young to their own devices even though they cant fly and seem to not know how to forage for food. I have a feeling this third bird might end up like the others if I don't intervene in some way. The fact that the other jackdaws in the tree make noise if I go near it is telling me that they are aware of the situation.

I'd like to hear some opinions on what I should do. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

If you can grab the jackdaw and put it on a branch of the tree then that's worth doing. They may have prematurely jumped from the nest, but being on the ground like that leaves them vulnerable to predators. It needs to be within a short distance of the parents though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

If you can grab the jackdaw and put it on a branch of the tree then that's worth doing. They may have prematurely jumped from the nest, but being on the ground like that leaves them vulnerable to predators. It needs to be within a short distance of the parents though

I managed to put it on a branch this morning. Around 15 mins later it jumped down (I saw it jump) the parents are stilling hanging around and even standing near it but I have yet to see it eat or be fed by mother. I am guessing parents are letting it figure these things out itself. If I notice it getting weak I'll intervene and bring to vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

It's a wild animal, and in the wild, some offspring don't make it to adulthood. The species get around this by producing lots of offspring to ensure its survival.

If it were something rare or endangered, that needs human intervention to help preserve the species, then I'd suggest intervening as you say.

But it's a jackdaw.

Leave it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

It's a wild animal, and in the wild, some offspring don't make it to adulthood. The species get around this by producing lots of offspring to ensure its survival.

If it were something rare or endangered, that needs human intervention to help preserve the species, then I'd suggest intervening as you say.

But it's a jackdaw.

Leave it alone.

Fair enough. I don't personally believe in human intervention but being human it's hard not to want to help the little fella out.

Advertisement