Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rap Battles

• 13-04-2018 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

Anybody here a fan of the format? They'd a pretty big one in Dublin recently with O'Shea vs The Saurus which I really enjoyed.

At the other end of the spectrum there are few car crashes more entertaining than a really bad rap battle.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I try to follow up on some of them, but there are too many inside jokes and you need to follow social media in the run up to the event to catch what the disses are.
    I also don't like the formula of switching to double time for a few bars towards the end, everyone seems to be doing it now. It's all a bit predictable and not used well enough to get a jab across.

Fair play to the Rap Is Full lads for getting the new events up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The insider baseball self referencing really got to the point of parody a couple of years ago and there's still far too much of it. Gets to be a bit like a soap opera where you don't know what's going on unless you've been watching all the other battles which is a bit much.

Bad double time "look I can rap too" bits are also very cringey but I haven't seen that much of it recently really.

Generally speaking though I fell out of it for a few years because it started to feel repetitive but I feel things are getting much stronger in the last 12 months. There a few new-ish battlers like Bobby Rex or Kinnell who are funny and mess around with the format in clever ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I did a new one. Minor eff up at the start so skip to 1:45 if you like.

Advertisement