Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kansas City Chiefs Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Not even gonna nibble at the drivel posted above :pac:

It's going to be an interesting offseason with 16 players off contract, we may see a fairly high turnover. Hopefully plenty off free agents want to come play with the future of the conference and we pick up some quality on defense.

Allen Bailey
    Dee Ford
    Demetrius Harris
    Anthony Sherman
    Spencer Ware
    Orlando Scandrick
    Ron Parker
    Mitch Morse
    Jordan Devey
    Jeff Allen
    De'Anthony Thomas
    Frank Zombo
    Charcandrick West
    Chris Conley
    Stephen Nelson
    Kelvin Benjamin

Of those, Dee Ford will probably be tagged and needs to stay. Apart from that, I'm not sure who's nailed on to keep. Houston and Berry will be up for debate too given how much they're on.

Bob Sutton gone, good to see them acting quickly. If that defense gets sorted for next year...oh boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Bob Sutton gone, good to see them acting quickly. If that defense gets sorted for next year...oh boy.
    Not going to pretend that I followed all the Chiefs games and known their scheme in dept. But is the talent there?

What I mean is, there was a lot of one on one match-ups that the Pats won, esp at the line of scrimmage when running the ball, that had little to do with play calling; guys were individually beaten.

Of course it maybe require a new DC (I didn't see all your games); but Dee Ford avoids a basic pen and you are in the SB.

A little from column A and a little from column B. For example, Sutton never blitzed against the Pats to try put some pressure on Brady or force him out of the pocket. The Pats has no fear going after Mahomes at times and they got some joy out of it.

Talent wise, Ford, Jones, Bailey and Houston plus some supporting acts make for a solid front seven, although Ragland and Hitchens were largely disappointing. It’s the secondary that was the major concern without Berry.

The likes of Scandrick and Parker should’ve been nowhere near starting for as long as they were and it took way too long for Lucas and Ward to be given a proper chance to impress. Both were very good down the stretch.

Ultimately Sutton had been there six years I think it was and the defense ranked as one of the worst in the NFL, now’s the time to make a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Ultimately Sutton had been there six years I think it was and the defense ranked as one of the worst in the NFL, now’s the time to make a change.
    Yeah. And given the cushion that the offense normally gave the D, you tend to expect more.

With a potential $200m contract (that will have implications for the CAP and paying others) on the way for Mahomes in 2020 or 2021, no point waiting to make the change.

• Advertisement

#MVPat :cool:

Fully deserved, he polled 41 votes to 9 for Brees. First full year in the league and already he has an amazing highlight reel, the no look pass only came in at 4. Seems like a very nice guy too.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1091864214136745984

https://twitter.com/TwitterSports/status/1091848416001290241

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

#MVPat :cool:

Fully deserved, he polled 41 votes to 9 for Brees. First full year in the league and already he has an amazing highlight reel, the no look pass only came in at 4. Seems like a very nice guy too.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1091864214136745984

https://twitter.com/TwitterSports/status/1091848416001290241

The 4th and 9 v Baltimore was the greatest pressure throw I've ever seen

And obviously the No Look.

I was there in person, Ravens really put it up to us and were the best team we played this year.

Ford tagged and soon to be traded

Bye Bye Justin Houston

To say I'm worried is an understatement

Hopefully we go after Nasir Adderley and/or DeAndre Baker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Why is Houston being let walk? Is it a money thing? He only just turned 30.

Why is Houston being let walk? Is it a money thing? He only just turned 30.

££££££££££

Also we have Dorian O'Daniel, Breeland Speaks, Anthony Hitchens, Reggie Ragland and MAYBE Dee Ford for one more season

• Advertisement

Bit gutted that Houston is gone after eight years. Injuries stopped him from being even better and his refusal to restructure his contract really left the Chiefs no choice. But still :(

Carlos Hyde is an interesting addition to the RB group, could be good if they're planning to split the workload next year between himself and Williams x2.

The contracts of Watkins and Hitchens cost Houston his job in Kansas. He actually earned his money. Hitchens and Watkins are overpaid -  Ford is on his bike, Berry can't be relied upon to stay fit.

Seriously worried

As for Hyde - decent option as a battering ram option on 3rd and short, much like the CJ Anderson signing for the Rams last year. No more no less

Hitchens has been mostly rubbish and I’ll be really pissed if both Ford and Houston go. I can see Houston joining the evil empire and winning a ring.

Tyrann Mathieu is joining on a three-year deal. I like it.

The Honey Badger & Eric Berry a Nightmare in the secondary #chiefskingdom

I’d love to see it but even if Berry sticks around he’s crocked and probably won’t be much of a factor.

Excited for Damien Williams to get a full season as our RB1

He finished last year like a freight train

We've given Mathieu the 32 shirt so presume it's bye bye Spencer Ware. Expect Conley to follow suit

Dee Ford to the 49ers for a second round pick in 2020, I'd like to report a robbery.

Dee Ford to the 49ers for a second round pick in 2020, I'd like to report a robbery.

Meh. In the cold light of day, he doesn't fit into Spag's 4:3 system, same as Houston.

I'm still cautiously optimistic

He’s getting paid off the back of one great season but even still, I think what we got in return is pretty rubbish. There’s cap space now though at least.

Incompletrius Harris is heading to Cleveland for on a two-year deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

I think we did great getting a second round pick for him, I'd prefer it to be this year but happy out either way.
    We were never giving him a long term deal, hes had injuries throughout his career, frees up 15 million in cap for extending hill and jones and we get draft capital that we can use to trade or move up if we see a player we like.

We had arguably the worst defense in the entire NFL last season, so a youth movement should be welcomed by all fans & we should trust that Andy Reid & his cap guru Veach have this under control. I ****ing hope so anyways.

Last year people were hoping he wouldn’t pass his physical so we could cut him. free up $15M of cap space immediately, on a player with a rich history of injury? I'm good. I think

I don't hate the Ford trade, just the compensation. No way we keep that 2020 pick, that's gonna be more ammo for another trade I'd say. Cut him before you pay him. Draft stock, trade up and get Greedy Williams. That defense is gonna be sick..................

An EDGE is now a priority in the draft

Berry gonzo

Berry, Houston and Ford all gone. It’s a bold strategy, I’m now very intrigued to see how Veach plays it from here.

Berry, Houston and Ford all gone. It’s a bold strategy, I’m now very intrigued to see how Veach plays it from here.

I think we'll be ok. That's ALOT of cap space freed up.

We'll no doubt move up in the draft

We'll now rely on Tanoh Kpassagnon, Breeland Speaks, Frank Zombo and possibly a rookie on the edge, but yep, I have high hopes for Tanoh. He could be the guy. Looked like he was good as a pure rusher, but lacked ability in coverage and instincts to play 3-4 OLB. 4-3 end is much simpler, and they can turn him loose. Zombo will certainly start now at outside linebacker

Been thinking about the Hill situation and the possibility of using him as a Draft Trade to bring in DK Metcalf

There are three problems with Hill:

1. He's going to want a ****ton of money on his next contract

2. He might be in deep **** depending on what's going on with his current legal/domestic issues

3. He's a huge risk of being in future deep **** because he's a complete scumbag with a nasty record

He's undoubtedly talented, but the question is this: who would, in a position to draft Metcalf, decide that they instead want to take on a far more expensive player at the same position who has big red flags? The only advantage that Hill has over Metcalf is that he is proven, but the only team that is likely to be in the market for a proven receiver is one with a veteran locker room that thinks it's ready to win now, and they would need to have a pick in the top ten.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility but my guess is that your market is pretty small, and you'd need to give up your first round pick. I think if I'm the Chiefs I'd rather have Hill plus my first than Metcalf, who I think is far from a lock to be a star anyway. The only reason I'm trading Hill now is if I know that he's got legal trouble coming, and if the Chiefs know that then everyone else does as well.

I really hate when the Chiefs have no first round draft pick, not on the clock now until pick 61.

Clark is a serious player and by all accounts a more complete asset than Ford was but it feels like they gave up a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,498 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You gotta have some big cuts coming, it appears you are at the cap limit before the draft with Clark's new deal.

Advertisement