Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Nialler9 tracklist last night. I'd love if weekdays had more of this sort of stuff.

Hour 1
    Metronomy – Love Letters (Soulwax Remix)
    Ben Khan – Savage
    The Derevolutions – Now You Know My Name
    SOHN – Artifice
    Niia – Simple Life
    Kelis – Runnin’ (Machinedrum Remix Radio Edit)
    Lone – 2 Is 8
    Jamie XX – Sleep Sound
    RATKING – Canal
    Lorde – Ribs (Ryan Hemsworth’s Let’s Have A Sleepover Version)
    SZA – Julia
    Sky Ferreira – Everything Is Embarrassing

Hour 2
    SHIPS – None of it Real
    Tomas Barfod Feat. Nina K – Pulsing
    SBTRKT – Gamalena
    Blooms- Skin
    I Have A Tribe - Yellow Raincoats
    Arthur Beatrice – Midland
    Chet Faker – Talk Is Cheap
    The Bedroom – The Big Up
    French Horn Rebellion & Savoir Adore- The Fire
    Rhodes – Your Soul
    Taylor McFerrin – The Antidote feat. Nai Palm
    Dustin Tebbutt – Bones
    Kinds – Breathe

Soundcloud playlist here:
    https://soundcloud.com/nialler9/sets/nialler9-on-txfm-002

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

krafty wrote: »
    Phantom's playlist was not as short or as repetitive as TXFM's is. I woke up at 7.30am on Tuesday. I listened until 8am then left for work. I came home later. Switched on from 8pm-8.30pm. Heard two of the same songs.

I bet one of those was Joan as Police Woman, I only listen to the radio when I'm driving, (mostly morning & evening to/from work) and she seems to always be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

paulbok wrote: »
    I bet one of those was Joan as Police Woman, I only listen to the radio when I'm driving, (mostly morning & evening to/from work) and she seems to always be on.

I hate that godforsaken song!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

thalia_13 wrote: »
    I hate that godforsaken song!

I'm hatin a lot of songs tbh...that Foster the people tune reminds me of a shytty 80's New order song...
    When youre listening most of the day, you start to know what songs comin up next...:rolleyes:

Think i'm done with TXFM now...listened for as long as i could take it today..by lunchtime they were starting to repeat too much for my liking...I actually hate Ray La Montagne and Damon Albarn now..bye bye...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

While 4FM wouldn't be everyone's cup of tetley they have a great policy of not playing the same song twice between 7am and 7pm.

Every station should do this! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭cro mags

Txfm is appalling.
    They got rid of their two best dj's - richie's * 2
    The edgiest shows are gone - spiral stairs and metal notes
    The new people bring nothing to the table
    The stadium rock replacements are embarrassingly bad
    The people from the old phantom are still top notch but the playlist is getting worse. My guess is that the dj's would agree with this but want to hold onto their jobs so say nothing.

Dont have any issues with the dj's...and i never liked the 2 R's if i'm honest ..its just the repeat playlist...now I'm repeating myself...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

The only thing worse than the repeat playlist is that f*cking Hot Press ad that's on every second break, it's unbearably sh*t! "Hot Press - sex, drugs, rock & roll - Hot Press" aghhh

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭ergo

so much negativity here

as a very old Phantom (and previously Spectrum) fan , what I've heard so far has not been bad

morning show with Cathal just heard Suede "She's In fashion" and Teenage Fanclub "Sparky's Dream" :)

I'll hold my hands up and say I actually liked Joe and Keith's morning show (I initially hated it) but maybe this station needs to do something different ie. mainly music in the morning rather than competing with the formulae on most of the other rivals ie 2 or 3 presenters, lots of inane banter

I'm still reserving judgement as it's still early days but think a chance should be given

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

To be honest, I've really been very pleasantly surprised by how good it's been - excluding the four hour drivetime gap that I just can't listen to because of Joe Donnelly.

Those two lads doing the sports show do sound like two kids on community radio mind you.

ergo wrote: »

I'm still reserving judgement as it's still early days but think a chance should be given

Maybe...but its not like its a "brand new" station.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BrushyMan

Yikes.

Woeful.

Who thought there was a gap in the market for this? Get me away from that market.

A lot of the music too 'ho-hum' and super safe or it's on too late in the day. 'Sweater Weather'? Really? What's the distinction between this and the rest of the dial? Presenters are adding very little to the mix, imo, and it all sounds a bit like a neutered version of watered down Phantom. Forced smiling. Devoid of spark. Even the twitter feed is just corporate rote.

Everything is Awesome.

Well, I ain't buying.

I'm sorry, TXFM, but I won't be investing.

I can already grab the latest tracks from soundcloud. I can RSS feed my music news.

I don't think I need to continue to listen so that I can find new things to complain about. Who has that kind of time?

S

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

well between Nialler9 on Thursdays, Derek Byrne on Fridays, and Pogo Radio on Saturdays, i've found loads of new acts/music over the last 2 weeks. Shazam has been getting a great work-out.
    caught a bit of last night's show with Brian Keaveney (i think?), and that was good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

The consensus seems to be that the weeknight slots are actually fairly decent, while the weekend and daytime slots are Nova-playlist bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I'm enjoying it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I am still curious about the rise of Cathal Funge in the new regime. He is now the weekday breakfast presenter and the presenter of an Irish scene show (The Listening Post). He was very much part of the "old guard" of Phantom, in that he went right back to the pirate days and was with the station ever since through all its phases (from pirate to 2 temporary license runs to full license). He had two shows before the rebranding - ICON on Wednesdays (The Listening Post is the same) and a show for years on Saturday mornings before moving to Saturday midday.

There is only one other comparable "old guard" presenter left, namely John Caddell, who is now reduced to one show a week. Joe Donnelly does not count: he did do a stint during the pirate era, but then left first for Spin103 and then Newstalk and only came back to Phantom in 2012 after over ten years away. He would be "Communicorp", as would Claire Beck for that matter.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing - far from it -, but how did Cathal manage this turnaround, or what was the logic of the bosses? Remember that over the last three years and a bit by which time Communicorp were on board, the following from the "old guard" were let go by the owners or left themselves: the two Richies, Jack Hyland , Ray McGowan, Simon Maher, Ger Rowe, Sinister Pete, Steve Conway, Brian Daly and Pearl. Any ideas or theories?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BrushyMan

well between Nialler9 on Thursdays, Derek Byrne on Fridays, and Pogo Radio on Saturdays, i've found loads of new acts/music over the last 2 weeks. Shazam has been getting a great work-out.
    caught a bit of last night's show with Brian Keaveney (i think?), and that was good too.

Agreed that they are all good formats but the timing is off for me. I'm not into staying up late to listen to the radio, and I may be a bit of a music nerd but there isn't much new if you follow similar threads as the presenters on soundcloud.

Not a Nialler9 fan.

I'm a fan of Derek.

Keaveny is a roide.

I am still curious about the rise of Cathal Funge in the new regime. He is now the weekday breakfast presenter and the presenter of an Irish scene show (The Listening Post). He was very much part of the "old guard" of Phantom, in that he went right back to the pirate days and was with the station ever since through all its phases (from pirate to 2 temporary license runs to full license). He had two shows before the rebranding - ICON on Wednesdays (The Listening Post is the same) and a show for years on Saturday mornings before moving to Saturday midday.

There is only one other comparable "old guard" presenter left, namely John Caddell, who is now reduced to one show a week. Joe Donnelly does not count: he did do a stint during the pirate era, but then left first for Spin103 and then Newstalk and only came back to Phantom in 2012 after over ten years away. He would be "Communicorp", as would Claire Beck for that matter.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing - far from it -, but how did Cathal manage this turnaround, or what was the logic of the bosses? Remember that over the last three years and a bit by which time Communicorp were on board, the following from the "old guard" were let go by the owners or left themselves: the two Richies, Jack Hyland , Ray McGowan, Simon Maher, Ger Rowe, Sinister Pete, Steve Conway, Brian Daly and Pearl. Any ideas or theories?

Politics..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

There is only one other comparable "old guard" presenter left, namely John Caddell, who is now reduced to one show a week. ...

John Caddell is also the Programme Director so presumably has management duties during the working week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I'm enjoying it

Almost in spite of myself, so am I. I was determined to hate it but, once you exclude the ultra-heavy playlist rotation, the quality of the music is excellent. Really enjoying Cathal Funge in the morning.

Need to cut down on The Minutes/Ray Lamontagne/Damon Albarn rotation though

Five Lamps wrote: »
    John Caddell is also the Programme Director so presumably has management duties during the working week.

Perhaps he has more onerous duties now. You could be right. He had a position like Controller of Music on Phantom, but still managed to put in six or seven days of presenting. Or maybe he wants to be in the background himself - I didn't think of that possibility before. Maybe that is how Cathal Funge got the weekday breakfast gig.

It seems that Communicorp have decided that Kelly-Ann Byrne also represents the future, being on at least five times a week on TXFM, and on Saturday nights on Today FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

It seems that Communicorp have decided that Kelly-Ann Byrne also represents the future, being on at least five times a week on TXFM, and on Saturday nights on Today FM.

In fairness, she's a very competent and engaging presenter with a great taste in music, which cannot be said for some of TXFM's new recruits who should not be on radio whatsoever.

The sports show on the weekend is embarrassing. RIP Stadium Rock with Richie Ryan, the show is sorely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Almost in spite of myself, so am I. I was determined to hate it but, once you exclude the ultra-heavy playlist rotation, the quality of the music is excellent. Really enjoying Cathal Funge in the morning.

Need to cut down on The Minutes/Ray Lamontagne/Damon Albarn rotation though

Also, Pixies 'greens and blues'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Is that Richie McCormack I hear doing sports bulletins or am I going mad?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Is that Richie McCormack I hear doing sports bulletins or am I going mad?

It is. He was doing that after leaving the breakfast show and before RnR.

Just when i'm pissed off at the repeats they go and play Leftfield/PIL........its like they know i'm about to switch off....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ro23

It's Richie alright - but it's part of Newstalk Network News service that TXFM get their news from, so he's also broadcasting to all the local stations too, not just TXFM.

ro23 wrote: »
    It's Richie alright - but it's part of Newstalk Network News service that TXFM get their news from, so he's also broadcasting to all the local stations too, not just TXFM.

I have heard him recently talking to Ivan and Chris in the mornings about sport on Newstalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

ro23 wrote: »

Thanks for clarifying that. I heard him too and was wondering what was going on there! I heard him on Dave Fanning as well recently, talking about songs related to "conscious uncoupling".
    Overall, I'm enjoying TXFM to a reasonable extent....I agree that Parklife is unimpressive though and comes across as very unprofessional. Even the name is dated and unimaginative. The outside broadcast from Tower Records on Sat was pretty good, but there were quite a few awkward pauses from the presenters in many of the interviews. But my main quibble now is the overplay of Vance Joy's Riptide! I'm still listening to the station on a daily basis though and will continue to do so.

Advertisement