Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any info out there on TOOL.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

jayobray wrote: »
    Tower Records should have it, or the Sound Cellar on Nassau Street

Ill give them a bell on my break and report back my findings for whoever wants to get the CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Thou

Have tried to preorder this online but having no luck order goes through but comes back as transaction declined, some reports saying that limited edition is sold out, really want to get this, but don't want to pay twice the current amount in a few months time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I got it last week from wowhd.ie for just under €37 but it seems to be gone now.

Have you had any confirmation that it was shipped? I also bought it from there a few weeks ago but I'd be surprised if it shows up tomorrow.

Let me know if you get it.

Tower records and the Sound Cellar only have the limited edition atm give them a bell they might be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

stevek93 wrote: »
    Tower records and the Sound Cellar only have the limited edition atm give them a bell they might be able to sort you out.

Any ideas on pricing for the limited edition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Any ideas on pricing for the limited edition?

€99 in Tower, by the looks. I won't make comment about the price until the one I ordered for €50 delivered actually arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 monkles

We can still listen to this on Spotify tonight though right?! RIGHT?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Am I the only one who is massively underwhelmed after paying 99 euro for a 7 track album?
    Pneuma is about the only song I'm bothered about on it. It just isn't doing it for me the way that Lateralus or Aenima once did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Had a listen to Pneuma and I'll listen to the rest tomorrow. There's certainly no mistaking it as not being Tool.

(no way I'm paying 99 for any physical media)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

monkles wrote: »
    We can still listen to this on Spotify tonight though right?! RIGHT?!?!

It's up there now.

• Advertisement

Danny really is an incredible man! Been finding MJ's vocals a bit cringey so far. But as with every tool album, it always takes at least 23 listens before you become completely obsessed with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Been staying awake for this, decided to enhance the first listen...

See you all on the flip side

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Am I the only one who is massively underwhelmed after paying 99 euro for a 7 track album?
    Pneuma is about the only song I'm bothered about on it. It just isn't doing it for me the way that Lateralus or Aenima once did.

You're no alone.

There are even sections of Pneuma that I'm certain it was intended Maynard would sing over them, as it just goes on and on monotonously, but he doesn't.

The musicianship of the guitars and especially the drums is great at times, but not good enough to carry a song for 8 minutes with repetitive riffs.

Alot of the best transitions in their music happen at times when Maynard is singing, particularly in 10,000 days. He builds momentum with his voice which makes for blistering transitions that few other bands can pull off.

Less singing means fewer impactful transitions, and that is one of the main reasons their longform songs are worthy of their duration.

Many of the repetitive and frankly boring riffs never actually build towards anything. And I'm not blaming the guitar player so much. He didn't have alot to work with.

After all this time, it somehow feels like an unfinished album.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Here we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Thou

monkles wrote: »
    Danny really is an incredible man! Been finding MJ's vocals a bit cringey so far. But as with every tool album, it always takes at least 23 listens before you become completely obsessed with it

Funny that think his vocals here are less cringey than on 10,000, more honest and clear. MJKs approach to me often sounds too moany especially on 10,000 days.

As has been mentioned in many reviews, drums are driving this album, they're unreal, but think it's a much more refined album for Tool, herein lies it's beauty, all four are given time and space, with an amazing sonic quality and resonance in production.

Hobosan wrote: »
    You're no alone.

There are even sections of Pneuma that I'm certain it was intended Maynard would sing over them, as it just goes on and on monotonously, but he doesn't.

The musicianship of the guitars and especially the drums is great at times, but not good enough to carry a song for 8 minutes with repetitive riffs.

Alot of the best transitions in their music happen at times when Maynard is singing, particularly in 10,000 days. He builds momentum with his voice which makes for blistering transitions that few other bands can pull off.

Less singing means fewer impactful transitions, and that is one of the main reasons their longform songs are worthy of their duration.

Many of the repetitive and frankly boring riffs never actually build towards anything. And I'm not blaming the guitar player so much. He didn't have alot to work with.

After all this time, it somehow feels like an unfinished album.

Just enjoy the album please :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

stevek93 wrote: »
    Just enjoy the album please :cool:

Exactly, Tool's music has always been a slow burner on me, I know I'll enjoy their albums more a month after I first hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

jayobray wrote: »
    Exactly, Tool's music has always been a slow burner on me, I know I'll enjoy their albums more a month after I first hear them.

Same, never liked each album much on the first few listens but love em all now!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Been listening for days and I LOVE the album, like WAY more than the first listen. Give it time. It's amazing.

People compare it to music they've been listening to for 20 years on the first go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I have to say the way we treat music nowadays is ridiculous, same over on the Slipknot thread, album out a day and people questioning it. This Tool album needs to be savoured slow over the next few weeks, months and years and over time if you'll hopefully grow to it and the favourite song at any point in time will change. If you want it to.

I just think something has changed with the way insta dismiss stuff. Its a microcosm of the way we've gone in general tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It's ok

Hard to keep concentration for the long songs

Fear Inculum is the best track on it imo.

Thou wrote: »
    Funny that think his vocals here are less cringey than on 10,000, more honest and clear. MJKs approach to me often sounds too moany especially on 10,000 days.

As has been mentioned in many reviews, drums are driving this album, they're unreal, but think it's a much more refined album for Tool, herein lies it's beauty, all four are given time and space, with an amazing sonic quality and resonance in production.

I think maybe I associate grit/moany/shouty with passion and if they're too clean the whole vibe feels a little less soulful. It's a personal preference I guess. He seems to do this sort of rhythmic chanting throughout that doesn't sit well but as with Tools back catalog there's most definitely a reason and meaning behind it.

I had to lie down after Chocolate Chip Trip last night but woke to 7empest and wow!!

Currently on my second listen and it's already growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

This is a fųcking great album.

Fųck all the cųnts who've grown too old and cynical since 10000 days to be able to appreciate Fear Inoculum.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I'm loving the new album already - it's been on repeat all morning. It's gonna grow more and more on me. Already Invincible and Descending have gone up so many notches listening to the record version. 7empest is some song

It does sound very familiar Tool wise but what do you expect - If it ain't broke and all that. People were always going to be critical about the album no matter what they produced - too Tool sounding, not like the rest of the albums, too APC, similar riffs etc. That's just the way it is. It's a Tool album after god knows how long, enjoy it!!

If anything, I do find myself appreciating 10,000 days even more now and thats not a slight on this album.

First listen and it has well exceeded my expectatiins. It really does feel like a Lateralus companion piece which is in one way it's biggest strength but also means that they at this stage of their careers they haven't veered too far away from what they've previously done in any way.

I'll echo the sentiment about MJK vocals but we'll never know how much his vocal style has changed out of choice and how much is out of necessity. It's a lot easier to replicate the tone of a guitar ~20 years later than it is a vocal style.

Looking forward to soaking it all up even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've only listened to it twice so far, so no definitive judgements for now.

For anyone who is interested Adam Jones recently appeared on the Talk is Jericho podcast. It's interesting to hear him, most of the band, aside from Maynard don't do that many long interviews. He seems like a very likable dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Anywhere selling the audio deluxe edition?

Kinda feel the need to get it as i have everything else of theirs, but its a hefty price :(

Anybody seen it anywhere?

Anyway regarding the album, liking it so far, i know i need to listen to it alot more to fully absorb it. There are parts throughout the album where the sound/effect playing for a second is a direct lift from songs on their other albums. Anybody else catching them? Not sure i like that though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think Tower has it, but I couldn't be sure.

nix wrote: »
    There are parts throughout the album where the sound/effect playing for a second is a direct lift from songs on their other albums. Anybody else catching them? Not sure i like that though :pac:
    100%. It's partly why I like the album so much but it would have also been nice to hear something a little different. I originally thought I was hearing a lot more echoes of Lateralus moments but I think there's also times that I'm hearing 10,000 Days and Aenima.

After a second listen I'm still liking it but still don't have any melody etched in my brain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Not overly convinced, I cannot stand Pneuma for some reason but the rest of the songs are solid albeit most could easily have been trimmed a couple of minutes to give them more of a punch, Culling Voices has to be my favorite song on the album but there seems to be a bit of repetition musically on the album also.

Advertisement