Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I've always presumed Nicholas Roche doesn't dope due to the fact that he's crap!

I heard he came across very badly on Vincent Browne a few weeks ago as well.

I haven't heard the Off the Ball thing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like this show, but jesus, Ken Early is some waffler. Why make your point in 50 words when you can use 2,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,575 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I must admit, i have a special dislike for bank holiday off the ball. I know the bits they have on it are usually pretty good (although we have heard them before), but come on, surely there should be a live football show after a weekend like the one we just had?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I muat admit, i have a special dislike for bank holiday off the ball. I know the bits they have on it are usually pretty good (although we have heard them before), but come on, surely there should be a live football show after a weekend like the one we just had?

I agree. The lads should never get a holiday.

Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Damn it i forgot they are not on tonight.I was waiting on Ken's opinion on events
    of the weekend darn it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

telekon wrote: »
    I agree. The lads should never get a holiday.

Ever.

They never go home, They never go home, They never go home, They never go home, They never go home,....those boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,979 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That 'Joe Allen is the Welsh Xavi' conversation was priceless, topped off by the text: "the Welsh Liam Miller more like".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Mr E wrote: »
    I like this show, but jesus, Ken Early is some waffler. Why make your point in 50 words when you can use 2,000?

I gave up on the show for good recently due to Early's waffling and smugness.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

That 'Joe Allen is the Welsh Xavi' conversation was priceless, topped off by the text: "the Welsh Liam Miller more like".

Wes Hoolihan was described as 'the Irish Messi' on ESPN before the Norwich/Arsenal game the other week :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Temaz wrote: »

Ken Early is the reason I listen. The show would be nothing without him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

He really divides opinion. Personally, I can't hit the off button soon enough when he comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

Strikes me as someone who thinks he's too good for the show. The Ken Burley bull**** was cringe inducing. And he is a ringer for Wurzel Gummidge

worzel-gummidge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

nicebutdim wrote: »
    Strikes me as someone who thinks he's too good for the show. The Ken Burley bull**** was cringe inducing.

Not at all.

He knows if this show ever folded he'd never get another job in radio (or on TV given his appearance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

+1. If Ken wasn't on it, I wouldn't listen to it.
    Skid wrote: »
    He really divides opinion. Personally, I can't hit the off button soon enough when he comes on.

Nearly everyone in the public eye divides opinion. The Football Show's podcast has been one of the most downloaded podcasts in the country for years. That's down to Ken. He does have a following.
    Imhof Tank wrote: »

He knows if this show ever folded he'd never get another job in radio (or on TV given his appearance).

I've seen him on Setanta with McDevitt and other than his...eh...hairstyle he's perfectly normal looking. The couple of times he presented Culture Shock he did a much better job of it than Fionn Davenport does. And I'm sure he could produce a far better left of field weekly football show for RTE than Fiona Looney's Ballbusters. He writes a really good column for the Irish Examiner every Monday, that's probably the direction his career will ultimately take. Murph is the one who would fall off the media radar if OTB ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

And he is a ringer for Wurzel Gummidge

Your critical analysis of a radio host amounts to commentary on his appearance? Really??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Strikes me as someone who thinks he's too good for the show. The Ken Burley bull**** was cringe inducing. And he is a ringer for Wurzel Gummidge

worzel-gummidge.jpg

Serious? You're talking about a radio presenters appearance? Wow.

And, the Ken Burley segments were hilarious... I feel they should sign that guy up for a regular slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Had to stop listening due to Ken Earley, the guy is a know it all tosser.

Agreed, and I grew up with him! He was never into football so I would love to know when his interest in the game started. A gang of us would always have a kick about on the green at the top of the road and all he would do would "toe bog" the ball!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Nearly everyone in the public eye divides opinion.

No. Not to the same degree. Read the comments in this thread -few presenters polarise opinion so much. You don't hear many people saying 'Ken Early? - he's alright, I can take him or leave him'

I'll never go back to OTB while he is on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Agreed, and I grew up with him! He was never into football so I would love to know when his interest in the game started.

I see Ken as more of a colour presenter... He doesnt possess a huge sporting intellect, but he's entertaining. I love the way they read out all the texts taking the complete p1ss out of him, loved the Ken Burley stuff too, and the way they repeat the question he asked Keano to p1ss him off... The show is genuinely funny, not like RTE where Des Cahill saying "well a Cork lad would be in trouble with the missus if he wore a Kerry jersey" passes as humour..

• Advertisement

Skid wrote: »
    No. Not to the same degree. Read the comments in this thread -few presenters polarise opinion so much. You don't hear many people saying 'Ken Early? - he's alright, I can take him or leave him'

I'd agree that in this thread that he has provoked stronger reactions than say... McDevitt or Murph, but I don't think you can then extrapolate it out to conclude that the opinion is as divided in the 40,000+ people who regularly listen to the show. People are much more inclined to be bothered to post about someone if they don't like them, less so if they like them and hardly ever if they just think they're "alright". It's just the nature of internet forums.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Murph is the one who would fall off the media radar if OTB ended.

He's written some great articles on TheScore.ie over the summer, I think there is a bit more to him than the clown he plays on-air.

He's written some great articles on TheScore.ie over the summer, I think there is a bit more to him than the clown he plays on-air.
    Fair enough, I not really into GAA - so I haven't read them.

Aidric wrote: »
    Your critical analysis of a radio host amounts to commentary on his appearance? Really??

Hello? I was defending Ken against the other poster you quoted - he was saying KE considered himself too good for OTB.

Not analyising and certainly not criticising.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Agreed, and I grew up with him! He was never into football so I would love to know when his interest in the game started. A gang of us would always have a kick about on the green at the top of the road and all he would do would "toe bog" the ball!!

Are you sure about that? Didn't Ken have a trial for Marseille at one stage in his youth? ;)

Are you sure about that? Didn't Ken have a trial for Marseille at one stage in his youth? ;)

Ah the never ending story:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Hello? I was defending Ken against the other poster you quoted - he was saying KE considered himself too good for OTB.

Not analyising and certainly not criticising.

Hello what? You wrote the following:
    Not at all.

Unless I'm reading that completely wrong you make a direct reference to his appearance.

Aidric wrote: »
    Hello what? You wrote the following:

Unless I'm reading that completely wrong you make a direct reference to his appearance.

You are quoting me without the necessary context. Go back and read it one more time - what was I saying "not at all" in reference to?

I made a reference to his appearance only because the other poster took a cheap shot with the Wurzel Gummage pic. That was an aside and had nothing to do with Ken's radio persona.

If I understand your post, you are saying I am holding his appearance against him as a radio presenter? Thats not what I am doing at all - I am a huge fan of the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

where can you pick up the podcasts such as the interview with Roche etc???

The off the ball podcast seems to focus on Ken's inane ramblings and it usually the interviews that make the show for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I thought the lads were exaggerating about Robbie Keane's goal, but jesssus..

You have to laugh at the other chap, putting his hand up to his head (as if he'd missed) at 0:13

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement